Jaf frame crack situation

Trials-Mikey

Frame now with gusset :

You know what we were saying about aesthetics not being the be all and end all but that they can be very important especially for custom frame builders? Goes for design of frames and gussets as well as the look of the welds. :P

I know you're doing this as a favour to the guy but if you're serious about maybe setting up as a frame builder the devil's in the detail.

You know what we were saying about aesthetics not being the be all and end all but that they can be very important especially for custom frame builders? Goes for design of frames and gussets as well as the look of the welds. :P

I know you're doing this as a favour to the guy but if you're serious about maybe setting up as a frame builder the devil's in the detail.

I completely agree with you this was a quick job to get mikey back riding again .

And also detail was never in mind with this frame anyway from day one.

I didn't have any thin materials to do any fancy and IMO it shouldn't need a gusset here anyway and whatever you put there would of looked odd.

Also all my gussets in the future will be profiled and laserd etc as I said before just a quick job to help a fella out.

And about detail as I said before nothing is getting sold until its bang on .

Edited by Neon-trials

I completely agree with you this was a quick job to get mikey back riding again .

And also detail was never in mind with this frame anyway from day one.

I didn't have any thin materials to do any fancy and IMO it shouldn't need a gusset here anyway and whatever you put there would of looked odd.

Also all my gussets in the future will be profiled and laserd etc as I said before just a quick job to help a fella out.

And about detail as I said before nothing is getting sold until its bang on .

Cool beans- I thought that was probably the case. Looking forward to seeing what you can create when given a clean slate and a pile of SS tubing!

so you even tig weld the steel? not mig? why not bronze weld it? stronger surely

Hope i understood the question right.. my pics were of mig to compare to neon trials tig. Bronze welds are usually for a structure to flex without cracking the joint, done propperly theyre raving strong too, well suited to a frame. Its possible to tig bronze, its just a difernt filler rod basically. Ive not seen any strength comparison literature but id be suprised if they arnt too dissimilar, ill look into it. the bronze looks the tits imo. personally id ride anything he made because i know its going to be as good as, if not better than, anything else on the market

*hadnt seen bionic balls post when i wrote that. Not trying to talk over you bud. Mobile version doesnt always show next page..

* another edit. Ive googled it and, well, i still have no clue which weld is stronger... tig seems easyer and more cost effective though. F*kin good question, hope someone else can shead some light on this.

Edited by f**megently

Just I'm an engineer apprentis and was bronze welding at college this week, and I my tutor was telling us that bronze welding it much stronger Thant tig or mig and also flexier.. And he said that all bike frames would be better brazed, it's so easy to do as well and uses less heat and doesn't corrod