Jaf frame crack situation

Trials-Mikey

Il let u apologise for this first

Like This

bing

04 May 2013

Neon-trials, on 04 May 2013 - 09:12, said:

Looks a nice build although the welding on most of the jaf frames I have seen is really quite amateur

Would like to see you do better, doubt you could like

Haha no hard feelings bing .

Completely forgot about that. I've slept and drunk beer since then.

I apologise deeply. You may take it out on my arse on the next group ride. Had to search back a fair way to find that lol :)

Edited by bing

didn't flipp's frames lasted? I mean he rides the shit out of his bikes and I ve never heard one that cracked?

just curious

They did, yes.

Every frame I've ever had has cracked, though the Jafs lasted far longer than the others.

They were also fine after welding them back up.

I'd like to take this opportunity to accuse almost all of you you of mob mentality. Sure - there's better welders out there, but I think you all seem to be a bit preoccupied with the appearance of the weld, rather than its strength. I know I don't know much/anything about welding, but I know that a bad lookingp/i] weld isn't always shit.

My frames have had welds that look similar to that, but the shortest lived one was 9 months.

...That's nine times longer than the Echo, and twice as long as a Marino. I'm not saying Jaf frames are perfect - I've first hand experience with many of their issues - but you're all being overly harsh.

People claiming they're utterly useless need to tone it down - they might not be pretty but they got me a frame in the geometry I wanted when nowhere else could.

I do sympathise with many of you, I think he attacked a lot of things from the wrong direction and I would've done them quite differently, but it was his project and I regret that it ended the way it did.

• Like 3

They did, yes.

Every frame I've ever had has cracked, though the Jafs lasted far longer than the others.

I'd like to take this opportunity to accuse almost all of you you of mob mentality. Sure - there's better welders out there, but I think you all seem to be a bit preoccupied with the appearance of the weld, rather than its strength. I know I don't know much/anything about welding, but I know that a bad lookingp/i] weld isn't always shit.

My frames have had welds that look similar to that, but the shortest lived one was 9 months.

...That's nine times longer than the Echo, and twice as long as a Marino. I'm not saying Jaf frames are perfect - I've first hand experience with many of their issues - but you're all being overly harsh.

People claiming they're utterly useless need to tone it down - they might not be pretty but they got me a frame in the geometry I wanted when nowhere else could.

I do sympathise with many of you, I think he attacked a lot of things from the wrong direction and I would've done them quite differently, but it was his project and I regret that it ended the way it did.

For the record I'm not being mob minded I offerd to help him over a year and I'm clearly using my knowledge as a professional welder to critic this frame I'm repairing as u said I think he bit off more than he could chew and it's a shame

They did, yes.

thanks for the answer

Don't know enough about welding to judge Jaf's work

but it's cool that you have take the time to share your side of the story

Did I read this right in that you're planning to make frames out of 304/316? Don't think I've ever heard of that before... I can't help but think it's going to be much more expensive than you have in mind and won't be of much benefit- will have to beef the tubes up to get the strength.. Interested to hear how it goes though!

Adam

Quote..

Steels are generally 66% heavier than aluminum but specific strength, the ratio of strength to density, is the property of interest for aircraft designers. Of the five materials, 440C stainless steel has the highest specific strength, followed by 4130 alloy steel, 7075-T6 aluminum, and 2024-T3 aluminum. AISI 304 stainless steel has the lowest strength-to-weight ratio of the five.

Sorry i did mean to say high grade stainless but i rushed that post as i was on the bog :)

*just a quick edit. Neon trials never said 304 or 316, scotty did. neon trials also went on to say £250-300 dependant on material

Edited by f**megently

Stainless is stronger weight to weight than mild steel it also has a little bit more give (spring) witch is good for bike frames if u make the too rigid the stress has nowhere to go .

There's more elasticity in the welds in effect , so in turn the weld will last far longer than a mild steel one il do a few examples later when I'm at work

Jesus this thread exploded today.

nice to see a proper debate happening not just arguments for once.

good work guys :)

This is very true .