51 and just started trials!

Thumperbob2002

The brakes on this bike are good so no problems there. The main problem is my lack of experience.

I have done lots of trials on motorbikes and have been Mtbing quite a bit so one finger braking, balance, weight transfer is ok.

I think just getting used to the bike will take a few hours.

Just been out for an hour and track stands ( on a hill) is easy - on the flat less so. Up to about 90 degree pivot turns.

Now working on all this and rocking too. Is there an easy way to learn this skill. I tend to either ride along and do and endo - then lift the rear then ride off or rock to and fro next to a wall and lean on the wall when balance goes. Any tips for me guys?

The brakes on this bike are good so no problems there. The main problem is my lack of experience.

I have done lots of trials on motorbikes and have been Mtbing quite a bit so one finger braking, balance, weight transfer is ok.

I think just getting used to the bike will take a few hours.

Just been out for an hour and track stands ( on a hill) is easy - on the flat less so. Up to about 90 degree pivot turns.

Now working on all this and rocking too. Is there an easy way to learn this skill. I tend to either ride along and do and endo - then lift the rear then ride off or rock to and fro next to a wall and lean on the wall when balance goes. Any tips for me guys?

Just keep practicing it all, if you want a pretty good dvd to help you along pick up a copy of tricks and stunts starring the legend that is Martyn Ashton. Well worth the money and should give you a giggle as well!

Cheap one from tarty bikes. 90 x35. Made it feel a bit more mtb like. Really happy with the bike though pal. Just me skills I have to work on.

Glad your happy with it mate! the only reason I put the longer stem on it was because I was trying to make it feel like an older school bike like I was use to riding before I had my bike stolen years ago and didn't ride for several years. I actually meant to find the original stem and put it in the box for you but I forgot.

Edited by Dazza1414

Hi,

As mentioned, I'd like to reinforce also, having a watch of "Tricks and stunts" DVD - will provide a good insight in to balance and control.

There was a sequel to this also, namely Bi-king / tricks and stunts 2. in one part Martin Hawyes suggests using spots on the pavement (such as cracks, chips - anything that makes a mark really) to use as target points for back wheel / both wheels in maneouvering the bike - pretty fun and naturally can be done anywhere!

welcome to the forum and enjoy!

cheers

Barry

Edit: quick youtube search and came accross this, seems on this persons youtube chanel they have it in parts?

Edited by trials26

Good bunch of guys on this forum. I'm based near hull. Stones throw from the Humber bridge. I'll look at those vids but I think I just need to practice lots. Was always ok on a gas gas or montesa but this is something else.

Feel my balance improving though. Pretty steep learning curve.

Get yourself out with us lot then. There's usually at least 4 of us riding once a week in either scunny or hull. Add me on Facebook. Dan chandler

Better get my nooby skills sorted ASAP. Whereabouts do you ride in hull pal?

Red brick(plimsoll way), white brick on Victoria Dock just around the corner, the deep, the marina, queens gardens, town, loads of places. Next time we are out I'll drop you a pm

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 32, and no sign of me jacking it in anytime soon.

Get your control centre sorted so you can brake with one finger. And find your natural position. Tyre pressures are quite crucial as well, although you probably know this. Also get some better v brake pads, as the standard onza ones are AMAZING. These are quite good if you are on a budget

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/vbrake_pads/inspired_vpads/c84p10009.html

Or these if you fancy something proper decent

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/vbrake_pads/tnn_engineering_adv/c84p11958.html

Just a suggestion like. Shite brakes won't do your confidence any good at all. This is my advice to all beginners, just the basics before you start laying cash out trying to get better

I run the onza green pads front and rear on smooth rims -never failed me -

Onza zoots feel really weird when i bought mine i was like ''Ive made a hugeeee mistake here'' Within a few weeks i loved the zoot-

Welcome to bike trials :) best advice i can give -practise practise practise :)

Edited by Dave Anscombe