Arcade frame kit built up

monkeyseemonkeydo

Ali has more skill than the public eye can identify. There's nothing more to it. Learning tricks because they're hard gets you nowhere, it's all about the image. That's why trials riders do them shitty 360 drop offs all the time because they're easy and look good.

Anyhoo.

Dave would like to see a video from you too.

Can't say anything about the bike, apart from that it's not orange with a brown seat. Which is good.

• Like 1

Got my frame kit yesterday and after a couple of wee snags have got it together. For some reason my chainring hits the stays with the standard number of spacers so I've added another on the drive side and have ordered a 1mm Hope spacer to replace it so I have a little more thread contact. Also have Shimano rotors on the way as one of these Alligator ones has somehow spontaneously bent while off the Skye. Pants pictures ahoy!

sfta.jpg

lnor.JPG

8b0i.jpg

I can confirm the other chap's experience that the Hope hoses are too fat to allow you to use the normal hose clips so I had to use zip ties. I imagine they'd work if the plastic coating round the hose was removed locally but that seems a bit overkill.

Spec is primarily Skye Mk1 with a few changes:

70mm x 25 degree Hope stem

Shimano SLX cranks

El Cheapo plastic pedals modded with pins

Eclat Gonzo seat with plastic painted black

Brown grips

Hope barends

Alligator 'wind cutter' rotors, soon to be changed for Shimano Ice Tech

Looks great. Nice to see how a Skye build moves over to an Arcade.

One quick question, where did you get the rear 10mm axle from? I notice on Tarty that the one they have for sale says it does not fit EVO hubs?

Also that's pretty normal to have to run an extra spacer drive side on a Shimano BB with an Inspired. It's the case on my Skye that I need to run 3, however Saint BBs have an extra 5mm of threads drive side so that could be something to consider to keep everything held in nicely. Not sure i'd be as happy to run a standard BB with that amount of threads hanging out.

• Like 1

Rear axle is one I knocked up at work- basically just a bit of thick walled stainless tube just shy of 135mm long turned down to 12mm OD with an M10 thread inside. Using standard M10 bolts and it seems to be working fine so far. Was going to swap the axle out but, as you say, it's not entirely clear how easy that is and this was definitely cheaper!

Regarding the bb I've now got a 1mm spacer to replace the extra 2.5mm one and have added a 1mm shim between the drive side crank and the bb which seems to be working ok for now.

Have now got the shimano rotors on to which look loverly :).

Rear axle is one I knocked up at work- basically just a bit of thick walled stainless tube just shy of 135mm long turned down to 12mm OD with an M10 thread inside. Using standard M10 bolts and it seems to be working fine so far. Was going to swap the axle out but, as you say, it's not entirely clear how easy that is and this was definitely cheaper!

Regarding the bb I've now got a 1mm spacer to replace the extra 2.5mm one and have added a 1mm shim between the drive side crank and the bb which seems to be working ok for now.

Have now got the shimano rotors on to which look loverly :).

Oh right, if you've got the skills..... yeah that's the bit i'm stuck on, the axle must exist as it comes on the Arcade full build (and Fourplays I presume) but can't see it anywhere aftermarket. I imagine Hope will be able to supply as I got a steel one off them for my Skye which isn't a 'standard' item. Just something I need to consider....

Crank setup sounds good, as do the new rotors. How are you enjoying the bike so far?

It's just the standard Pro2 T rear axle as far as I know.

Oh, so the standard 10mm bolt up Pro 2 trials axle would suffice to convert an Evo version of the trials hub (from 12mm to 10mm)? I was just a bit confused as on your website it says: (10mm model fits non-Evo version of the hub only, with 15mm diameter at both ends where the end caps fit on). I'm possibly just confusing the situation?

How are you enjoying the bike so far?

I've literally only bounced around in the garden for a few minutes because the weather's been so pants :(

Oh, I mean the standard axle that comes with whichever ProT rear hub you've got (if that makes sense). Or not in your case as you have / had a Skye >_<

The EVO and non-Evo versions of the hubs seem to be slightly different, pain in the ass.

Yeah that's the problem- The Skye hub (Evo with 12mm through' axle) doesn't seem immediately transferable although I'm sure an email to Hope would clear that up. My bodge seems to be working for now but would be nice to go for a factory axle at some point. Having said that I could probably make a complete ali axle at work if I took the Skye hub apart...

Oh, I mean the standard axle that comes with whichever ProT rear hub you've got (if that makes sense). Or not in your case as you have / had a Skye >_<

The EVO and non-Evo versions of the hubs seem to be slightly different, pain in the ass.

:) yeah that's my conundrum.

I've literally only bounced around in the garden for a few minutes because the weather's been so pants :(

Yeah that's the problem- The Skye hub (Evo with 12mm through' axle) doesn't seem immediately transferable although I'm sure an email to Hope would clear that up. My bodge seems to be working for now but would be nice to go for a factory axle at some point. Having said that I could probably make a complete ali axle at work if I took the Skye hub apart...

Ah that's a shame.

Ok well at least that's cleared it all up. They certainly make the axle (obviously) so I suppose it is just a case of asking them to supply one. I suppose the reality is there's not going to be a huge number of people trying to convert 12mm pro2 T's Evo's to 10mm....however I would have thought the odd person might have snapped one and needed it replacing?

* god, conundrum was a boring word to use.

Edited by Matthew62

Looks really good! Especially with the brown seat! But I can't help asking what's happening with the skye frame and fork?

Skye frame kit is sitting in my garage at the moment and will most likely be sold at some point.

In other news, to anyone wanting to convert a Skye rear hub back to standard bolt in apparently it's a Hope HUB240 kit (http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG280) which will be a special order item.

• Like 1

Skye frame kit is sitting in my garage at the moment and will most likely be sold at some point.

In other news, to anyone wanting to convert a Skye rear hub back to standard bolt in apparently it's a Hope HUB240 kit (http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG280) which will be a special order item.

Not part 236?

Good point, well made! It was hope themselves who told me what the part number was- lying bastards!

Ha. Not surprised. They seemed absolutely baffled when I mentioned the steel axle for my Skye. Had to speak to 3 people before anyone could help. I suppose when you make as many parts as they do it's understandable.

Think you'll stick to your home made job for now?

Reply from Hope:

Sorry but there seems to have been a mis-understanding at this end. As we have not received any interest in converting a trials hub back into the bolted style we have not put together a conversion kit for it. The best way to get the parts you need would be to have a dealer ring our sales team and tell them what you are wanting to do. They will then be able to put the parts you need together for you.

Reply from Hope:

Sorry but there seems to have been a mis-understanding at this end. As we have not received any interest in converting a trials hub back into the bolted style we have not put together a conversion kit for it. The best way to get the parts you need would be to have a dealer ring our sales team and tell them what you are wanting to do. They will then be able to put the parts you need together for you.

Cheers for that.

It still seems strange though as the link you put up does say HUB236 is for the EVO hub so should work.....also surely the axle you're after is just the standard Pro2 t EVO axle so it's not a new part (as it already exists in the standard hub)? Unless I'm missing something and the Skye hub has a different shell...