Drilled rims on XC bikes

trialsbikingnunn

Hi guys, i had a thought the other day about using drilled rims on my XC bike but wondered why almost no one else had done this? i cant see any down fall as they are pretty strong and will withstand any XC riding, they are a considerable amount lighter and are wider than most XC rims so will help prevent tyre folding. only thing i cant think of that is bad is that the drills will get water in them but that wont effect how the bike rides.

if you have any feedback please dont hesitate to tell me :)

Thanks, Matt

All drilled rims I've seen seem too wide to be used for XC.

Maybe the k2 front rim would work alright, but yeah I've wondered it a couple of times too. They've started to implement it in bmx I've heard.

Edited by Jake.

All drilled rims I've seen seem too wide to be used for XC.

Maybe the k2 front rim would work alright, but yeah I've wondered it a couple of times too. They've started to implement it in bmx I've heard.

i run schwalbe nobby nic 26x2.4 tyres so i wouldnt think they would be too wide?

Put simply, the majority of undrilled rims are stiffer.

Also have you seen the weight of xc rims lately? They make trials rims look positively lardy in comparison!

i know they are stiffer and there are lighter alternatives but they cost an arm and a leg, where as trials rims are much cheaper.

Used an onza Ronnie on the back of my (sort of)commuter untill I got the motorbike, never missed a beat did what a rim should really . Spacing for brakes was a bit of a slag given the brake lugs are way closer together, nothing a disc setup couldn't solve.

was thinking of running echo tr's with a disc setup which i already had so brake spacing shouldnt be a problem

just had a look on tarty and the echo tr's are 44mm wide but my 2.4 tyres are 61mm wide, do you think this would work well?

This.

I meant width in terms of what fits with the frames really, also with a more ballooned tyre I think it's meant to have less rolling resistance? Don't quote me on that though.

Yes there is more tyre roll on narrow rims but the tyre is pumped harder so it counters it.

For a laugh I put my echo tr disk rim on my xc/enduro bike for a spin the other day. Didn't have any problems with it and I'm pretty sure the wider rim gave me more grip. The only downside I can think of and my mate stated it on the day is that sticks could end up going through the holes and bursting the tube. Didn't happen to me though.

Hi guys, i had a thought the other day about using drilled rims on my XC bike but wondered why almost no one else had done this? i cant see any down fall as they are pretty strong and will withstand any XC riding, they are a considerable amount lighter and are wider than most XC rims so will help prevent tyre folding. only thing i cant think of that is bad is that the drills will get water in them but that wont effect how the bike rides.

if you have any feedback please dont hesitate to tell me :)

Thanks, Matt

You mean that's what I said when we talked about this in my garage :P

I thought it would be ok to run a slightly wider freeride rim but drill loads out of the inner skin of the rim.

Be careful what you try to do, I did this with a D521 and it turned into a wet noodle, buckled riding off a kerb :)

If it's a drilled double wall rim you're just asking for it to get filled with mud on an xc bike.

Edited by forteh

Be careful what you try to do, I did this with a D521 and it turned into a wet noodle, buckled riding off a kerb :)

If it's a drilled double wall rim you're just asking for it to get filled with mud on an xc bike.

I don't really care if it gets filled with mud to be honest, it can always be washed out with a hose :P

You wont get it all out though, the hose will just push the mud round the rim. Also the quality of trials rims is pretty dire compared to decent rims like mavics

if you use 2 hoses being sprayed towards each other it will either be pushed out or disintegrated and then washed out. plus surely trials rims go through a lot more abuse so they will be stronger? also mavic rims cost alot

if you use 2 hoses being sprayed towards each other it will either be pushed out or disintegrated and then washed out. plus surely trials rims go through a lot more abuse so they will be stronger? also mavic rims cost alot

He means the quality of trials rims, they're only held together with pins so are likely to come apart with more revolutions, and are not often completely true out of the factory. Mavic rims cost a lot because you're paying for a higher quality rim that will last longer.

Trials rims live a short life due to being battered and ground constantly, so it's fine to have cheaper, shittier rims because they don't last more than a couple of years and don't do many revolutions.