Top Spacer for Sloping stem (not the top cap)?

niconj

So I've bought a Trialtech Sport Lite fork a while ago and am running a 150x35° stem with it. Now I want to try my 150x30° stem again (have used it with the old forks) but am a bit hesitant to cut the steerer in that angle. As my current stem is 50mm high and just ends with the top of the steerer (5mm stacker under it) cutting the steerer for the other stem would mean that I couldn't go back even if I wanted to.

Now I was thinking of a sloping top spacer to just give 150x30° a go and if I don't feel comfortable with it, go back to the old one.

Is there such a thing as a sloping to spacer or are there any suggestions as to make one?

Thanks.

Just cut up an old headset spacer and pop it on top of the stem, then tighten it all up as usual. It may be a bit fiddly getting the cut at the right angle, but it is only a temporary thing I suppose, so there is no need to be totally perfect, as long as it all fits properly.

Just cut up an old headset spacer and pop it on top of the stem, then tighten it all up as usual. It may be a bit fiddly getting the cut at the right angle, but it is only a temporary thing I suppose, so there is no need to be totally perfect, as long as it all fits properly.

Thanks. I was actually thinking of filing down a carbon spacer.

Just make sure you've got a spacer big enough - there's a 14mm gap between the highest/lowest point of that stem so you'll need a pretty hefty spacer to have enough material to actually make that work.

Lol! I got it to work w/o filing any spacer. I just put an old top cap in there and two spacers under it where there's more space between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer. Meaning that a normal top cap was pushing down on the stem on 12 o'clock and two spacers which in turn pushed down on the stem on 6 o'clock.

I tightened the stem bolts and took off the top cap, as this doesn't do anything once the stem bolts are tightened. Haven't had a chance to ride it though.

Edited by niconj

That or you can just slot the steerer to allow the top cap to sit into the slot, so the steerer sits flush with the top of the stem.

How would that work? I don't really get what you're saying. For the steerer to sit flush with the top of the stem, it will have to be cut in an angle.