Street Wheels Have Lost The Plot?!

isitafox

Run into a weird problem with my street bike, for some reason the rear tyre seems to have lost the ability to hold itself on the rim?

Not sure why but now whenever I pump the tyre up it's as if it's too big for the rim and I have to continuously go round it pushing the bead in until the tyre is pumped up and even then no matter how hard I pump it up it balloons off if I land even slightly off square?

I never had this problem when I first got the wheels built and pretty sure it's not the width that's the problem as they're the same as Inspired Pro rims and people have run narrower on street bikes. Any suggestions??

It's pretty recent, not seen much use at all. Could it have anything to do with the tubes? After I had a major blowout with a Maxxis DH 2.5" jooby I tried a couple of standard 2.1" tubes which both snaked instantly as soon as I tried a 180

Have you compared the radius of your rims against anything else? My tryall rims are bigget than my echo, I need a crow bar to change the tyres on the tryall and a slight breeze will take the tyre off the echo. Guess there are small variances in rims and tyres. maybe your on the wrong end of the scale with your paring, -rim dia +tyre dia?

Edited by *gentlydoesit

Nope just been sat in storage indoors for a few months. I got them out and put them on a bike a few weeks back and pumped them up, was riding along when I spotted part of the bead wasn't seated right so when I got home I let the rear down and pumped it back up seating it properly only to find the next morning the tube had burst (6-7" tear down it). I swapped it for a smaller tube, rode it maybe 50m then just tried a small hop to 90° when the rear tyre ballooned off and pinched the tube. Swapped it again for another tube, pumped up and when I tried a 180 the same thing happened.

My Holy Rollers are a relatively loose fit on my Stiffys, but not that bad. If the tyres are older though they do seem like they can stretch/warp a bit - Ben had the same problem with his ancient DMR Transition tyre on the rear of his bike.

I did have a day when I went in the shed and found the innertube had randomly popped the tyre off the rim a few months ago but assumed it was something to do with the warm weather. Could end up with some Conti's then as I believe they're are a tighter fit?

Not quite the same, but I had a similar issue with a Crawler that turned out to just be the tyre.

Faffed around with rims before changing tyres as I had spares, but couldn't afford another tyre and it was a huge waste of time, so maybe investigate that first ;)

Not quite the same, but I had a similar issue with a Crawler that turned out to just be the tyre.

Faffed around with rims before changing tyres as I had spares, but couldn't afford another tyre and it was a huge waste of time, so maybe investigate that first ;)

I've had this same issue with a few crawlers. Most of them don't seem to hold their shape for too long.

Ive had this issue with a crawler before on a try all rim, it was as if the tyre was slightly too big for the rim, bit it turned out the bead was knackered. It may be that Dave, but if the bike has been sat there doing nothing, I can't see how it has happened?

• Like 1

Ive had this issue with a crawler before on a try all rim, it was as if the tyre was slightly too big for the rim, bit it turned out the bead was knackered. It may be that Dave, but if the bike has been sat there doing nothing, I can't see how it has happened?

Exactly the same, do you remember my tyre at the first Radfest we went to? Tried putting it on my 19" and it just kept popping off due to the beading being slightly distorted so we disposed of that bast.

Exactly the same, do you remember my tyre at the first Radfest we went to? Tried putting it on my 19" and it just kept popping off due to the beading being slightly distorted so we disposed of that bast.

Yeah I do, think it was the one I gave you if I remember rightly

Oh right. Yeah I know the issue, sometimes with crawlers it's hit or miss. Depends if it's been folded up when it got delivered. I ask for my tyres to be flat packed now and pay for extra delivery if I have to so bead damage doesn't happen

I ran a crawler ghetto tubeless on a onza rim, no bead issues at all.

Mr fox you definitely want to get a conti i am sooo very impressed with the two i have fitted, there just leaps and bounds ahead of the holyrollers