Parallel and non parallel rims

AlexClare94

What's the difference between parallel and non parallel sidewalls and does it improve the rims strength or affect the brake or wheel setup at all?

And another question about rims is the difference between single and double wall design, single rear walls are lightweight and still strong but apparently it's bad for a rear wheel as they flat spot easier, not had much experience with them, just wondering if it would be worth it or not?

My experience for the sidewalls:

Buy washerless clamps and parallel-sidewall rims -> brake works even with dead grind.

Buy Magura clamps with washer and angled rims -> tried to adjust many times, asked others to set it up for me, shitty brake every time.

Completely agree.

There is nothing decent about non parallel sidewalls.

I went from an onza pro diamond (non parallel sidewalls) rear rim to an echo urban (parallel sidewalls) and the ease of setting up the brake is unbelievable with echo washerless clamps.

Really handy when you're on a ride and have to do a minor adjustment, you don't have to be there for ages and ages fiddling making sure it's all straight and square. Just fit and forget.

So that's that question sorted :) I'm still wondering what is better to have out of double wall and single wall rear rims, cause on tarty they sell allot of good strong single wall rims but I've heard they aren't as strong as double wall but they save a hell of a lot of weight

What makes non-para jobbies less (Sorry Edit) -more resistant to side wall dings?

Are they built that way for that reason?

Ive run TT single wall rims since they came out and never had a problem with regards to strength. Very impressed.

Edited by Ross McArthur

What makes non-para jobbies less resistant to side wall dings?

Are they built that way for that reason?

Rims dent inwards. The sidewalls face outwards on the Trialtech etc rims, so their shape naturally resists inwards dings.

Rims dent inwards. The sidewalls face outwards on the Trialtech etc rims, so their shape naturally resists inwards dings.

So the side wall is stronger because of the outwards shaped sidewall? Or because of the shape they are less likely to dent?

Can you explain this statement?

To be fair, I wondered how the angle would make it stronger too :+ I've dented all kinds of rim in all kinds of ways

I guessed he meant pinch flat kinda dents, that the force applied straight/square on to the edge would push the rim in the direction its leaning. If it wasn't leaning, less inward dent.

* but then I re-read this topic and it changes form one to the other :S

It sooo depends on circumstance though imo.

Edited by *gentlydoesit

So the side wall is stronger because of the outwards shaped sidewall? Or because of the shape they are less likely to dent?

Can you explain this statement?

Anyone can explain anything until they're blue in the face, but it'll do no good whatsoever if the recipient has no intention of listening.

If by some chance that words you used to phrase that question sounded hostile by some unimaginably unlikely coincidence and you were genuinely asking a question rather than being a dick again, try thinking about the angles each part of your rim is at when landing a gap, and how dents normally form (assuming, that is, you gapped to one of your wheels rather than to a foot and climbed the rest of the way up :rolleyes: ).

if you imagine the straight sidewall knocking on the edge of an obstacle,you will find the force going through it from top to bottom.

the angled one will have an angle to the edge too and more being pressed outwards and flexes instead of being hit straight and absorbing all the force directly

the angled one will dent too eventually,but after more force applied,because of that flexing

Edited by FamilyBiker

My guess is when your tyre folds on impact it makes what may look fairly straight forward as a direct straight impact into a slightly angled impact due to the tyre folding. So the angled rim has been angled to compensate for the slight change in angle of impact when the tyre folds over to the other side of the rim.

if your tyre isn't folding then you could still dent the rim during a pinch flat if your running pressures too low or doing gaps/drops larger than the intended use of the rim and tyre ect... Ect...

trials is still pretty new to cycling really, so it doesn't surprise me that all trials components are still labelled as just trials components, they could really do with some of the lighter kit having more warnings that they are for comp use or smooth/lighter riders ect.

its just common sence if you dent and bend rims don't buy the lightest ones or you will just keep doing it.

double wall rims resist buckles and flat spots more than single wall rims.

higher tyre pressures resist dented rims

Anyone can explain anything until they're blue in the face, but it'll do no good whatsoever if the recipient has no intention of listening.

If by some chance that words you used to phrase that question sounded hostile by some unimaginably unlikely coincidence and you were genuinely asking a question rather than being a dick again, try thinking about the angles each part of your rim is at when landing a gap, and how dents normally form (assuming, that is, you gapped to one of your wheels rather than to a foot and climbed the rest of the way up :rolleyes: ).

anyone can explain anything with facts rather than opinions.