GU 26" New Build

AlexClare94

So the bike I ordered from Tarty came yesterday, after building it up fully and getting everything just about ready to ride, I had to grind the rims which was fun haha, never done it before. But here's the bike complete.

post-33126-0-43706400-1405496867_thumb.j

post-33126-0-06898900-1405496879_thumb.j

post-33126-0-57430400-1405496889_thumb.j

post-33126-0-83055400-1405496900_thumb.j

post-33126-0-67143300-1405496911_thumb.j

post-33126-0-45606800-1405496920_thumb.j

• Like 5

No I kinda had to do it quick but yeah I took the tyres and stuff off and to be honest I don't think I did a bad job

Been on it properly today and haha not been riding for about 2/3 years and going mod to stock feels so much more comfortable height wise. And it rides so nice am well happy to be honest, but yeah I need to get practising big time haa

Next time, keep the tyres on while you grind the rims.

Taking the tyres off and on leaves a residue on the freshly ground rim which sometimes renders the grind useless. This only usually happens if the tyre is tight going on. If its a single wall rim you won't have to drag the tyre bead across the side wall of the rim.

yeah I'd never ever held a grinder until this point aha and it was late and just scary cause i was also using a metal grinding disc.. but I'm going to grab a few Stone discs.. but yeah knowing my luck I'd go through my tyre

Next time, keep the tyres on while you grind the rims.

Taking the tyres off and on leaves a residue on the freshly ground rim which sometimes renders the grind useless. This only usually happens if the tyre is tight going on. If its a single wall rim you won't have to drag the tyre bead across the side wall of the rim.

Ahh I love the look of bikes without grinds that's all.

And yeah as Ross said, grinds with tyre on are always better. You just deflate the tyre, push it down with one hand and grind with the other, you won't go through the tyre if done properly. :)

Looks good. If I were to build one it'd be exactly the same. Whatever you do, don't listen to the muppets telling you leave your tyre on when grinding your rims. If your not familiar with a grinder it'll probably end in disaster.

Edited by dngr2self

Looks good. If I were to build one it'd be exactly the same. Whatever you do, don't listen to the muppets telling you leave your tyre on when grinding your rims. If your not familiar with a grinder it'll probably end in disaster.

you just let air out and fold it over, simple :P

and jeez yeah lovely looking beast! bear in mind those 2014 maggie levers don't last very long, that's the only thing i'd change imo :)

you just let air out and fold it over, simple :P

and jeez yeah lovely looking beast! bear in mind those 2014 maggie levers don't last very long, that's the only thing i'd change imo :)

I know how to do it but thanks for the tip. The reason I told him not to was because if he isn't uses to a grinder then he could hurt himself.

Better to learn sooner than later. First grind I did was with the tyre on, and the first time using a grinder.

A bit of common sense and watching how its done as by the Tarty tutorial and you're fairly hard pressed to get it wrong.

But then what does he do when it rains?...

go inside. i dont ride in the rain, and wouldnt expect anybody to look out the window and see it raind and say "looks like great wheather to ride my bike in"

also you could have bought different pads and ran a dead grind, which works in the rain

go inside. i dont ride in the rain, and wouldnt expect anybody to look out the window and see it raind and say "looks like great wheather to ride my bike in"

also you could have bought different pads and ran a dead grind, which works in the rain

You dont, but he might. Which is most likely the logical reason why he ground his rims......

• Like 1

It's not a case of going out when it's raining it's when you get caught out in it. Perfect example was tarty days when it started chucking it down mid ride. Us lot who had grinds and decent pads were able to stay out...

Plus if he's wanting to put a dead grind on he's going to have to pick up the angle grinder anyway...

• Like 1

Grinds are the way forwards. Was soaking last year at Radfest and my brakes still performed flawlessly. My only limiting factor was my shitty front kenda sb8 tyre and some of the obstacles being a touch sketchy to ride.

Smooth rims are too much effort for their worth. Great when they work, but a small amount of dust/moisture just rapidly takes performance away.

It's not a case of going out when it's raining it's when you get caught out in it. Perfect example was tarty days when it started chucking it down mid ride. Us lot who had grinds and decent pads were able to stay out...

Plus if he's wanting to put a dead grind on he's going to have to pick up the angle grinder anyway...

not like they had a grinder on hand was it? and if i remember correctly it was on around 5 people riding at 1 point during the day. also i was just say buy different pads because people were saying leave the tyre on when if you had hs yellow you could take the tyre off, tak your time, and still had an awsome brake