Help me with ideas for 'travelling'

Duncy H

Hey there folks, not too often I post on here but am always lurking!

My idea is to go away abroard for a fair while and that is about as far as my plan goes ha. It would be next year probably in June, after I've rode the Scottish six day trial again, til whenever I feel the desire to return.

I have family in Christchurch, New Zealand and a very good family friend in Vancouver, Canada so been toying with the idea of tying those in. I'm a keen mountain biker so thought it would be great to get over to Whistler as it's not too far from Vancoover or tying in some riding in New Zealand. No ideas are set in stone though just thought bringing the bike along would be a good idea but not deffinate. Keep getting told I should go out and do a season in Whistler too and as well as that my sister goes out to Vancouer island every year to study Orcas.

Thailand and the like always seems to get thrown about when people talk about travelling but it doesn't jump out at me yet, I'm more after experiences and seeing amazing stuff rather than boozing and getting a tan.

With regards to working I'm not too fussed either way, I certainly don't want to go away to work, rather work less than more as at the moment I have no real commitments at home working in a bar and as a bike mechanic and so can work away saving between now and then. If anyone has any tips of what would be good ideas for what to do and don't do though I'd appreciate it.

So if anyone could help me with any ideas, tips, or anything I'd really appreciate it.

Tl;dr - Want to go travelling and need help planning.

Not sure if they're on the North Island or not, but there are some pretty cool trails that just go off out into the wilderness, and they have little huts that you can just crash in for the night. My brother goes mountain biking all the time with his wife and they sometimes hit up those places - sound pretty cool.

Not sure if they're on the North Island or not, but there are some pretty cool trails that just go off out into the wilderness, and they have little huts that you can just crash in for the night. My brother goes mountain biking all the time with his wife and they sometimes hit up those places - sound pretty cool.

Completely unrelated but do you also have a brother who hangs about in West Bay / Bridport area of Dorset? Also rides bikes?

My advice would be just to make sure that whatever you decide on, you do it. Too many people have intentions of going travelling for a decent amount of time and then talk themselves out of it, or allow others to dissuade them. It'll be an amazing experience whatever you choose.

Your comments on Thailand etc are close to the mark - it's hard here for travellers to avoid the 'backpacker trail', and whilst it can be fun and enjoyable you really won't feel like you're getting anything done. I think NZ or Canada would be great places if you have outdoor adventures in mind. If you do end up considering Asia then India, Nepal and Myanmar are worth looking into, as you won't be surrounded by boozed up 'lads' and fat English and Australian girls.

Without time & money considerations it's hard to say.

You can go anywhere if you weren't set on taking your bike.

If you're after "experiences" avoid Vancouver completely imho. There are places on doorstep likea scottish highlands and iceland that would offer a fresher experience if you like.

If you're after "experiences" avoid Vancouver completely imho. There are places on doorstep likea scottish highlands and iceland that would offer a fresher experience if you like.

He's already done Fort William, (the outdoor capital of the Uk) which is what im guessing is spurring him onto going further afield?

My advice would be, if you want to go anywhere is, to stay single.

Completely unrelated but do you also have a brother who hangs about in West Bay / Bridport area of Dorset? Also rides bikes?

I don't, nah - just got 1 brother and 1 sister. Are you thinking of Mike Westlake by any chance?

What is it that makes you say that? I have been to vancouver/island/whistler many years ago before I was into mountain biking and was rather blown away by the scenery and peoples attitudes there towards sports and the like. As said have been to Fort William a few times and plan on doing so again in May before I go further adrift.

Mate if you come to New Zealand, come up to Rotorua in the North Island. World class mountain biking, beautiful lakes and country side. Ill go riding with you.

Also, bring your trials bike

Have noticed the name crop up a few times and looks interesting, definitely wouldn't mind tying it in if I can. I don't have a pedally trials bike no more, not that that means I'm not partial to a bit of it no more. While doing some research quite a few people mention renting campervans in New Zealand and they don't seem too badly priced, I like the idea of flying into Auckland and making my way down to Christchurch and stopping along the way in one. Do you know of any experiences with that kind of thing. I'd definitely be up for meeting somehow!

That does sound pretty cool, bit of a vague odd question but do you know if they have an official name? Couldn't come up with many things searching using my wee lickle brain.

At the moment I am strongly considering spending roughly a few months in Whistler/Vancouver riding at the bike park and other general activities and possibly going to New Zealand and moving around in a Campervan before ending up at my Uncles place in Christchurch. I really appreciate all the input so far thanks!

What is it that makes you say that?

You mean about Vancouver?

You said you wanted experiences rather than just boozing. From that i thought you wanted to go do something different to the norm. Vancouver and Whistler are highly commercial places. Nice and friendly, but nothing special.

But when it comes to decent/ big mtb places, they're probably all gonna be commercial.

You mean about Vancouver?

You said you wanted experiences rather than just boozing. From that i thought you wanted to go do something different to the norm. Vancouver and Whistler are highly commercial places. Nice and friendly, but nothing special.

But when it comes to decent/ big mtb places, they're probably all gonna be commercial.

Yeh I can see where you are coming from having already been there, I probably didn't word right what kind of experiences I'm after. To me riding my bike in amazing places counts as an experience and if I wanted to get out of the way to see some things I could go find my sister in a remote place off Vancouver island while she's studying killer whales :)