Saint m810 Callipers

woahroger

How are the m810 saint callipers?

I've been considering switching brakes for a while, and i have come across 2nd hand m810 callipers for just around $35, is it a good deal? I've been thinking about throwing them on together with some old xt m775 servo-wave levers. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

post-37191-0-72068900-1412608858_thumb.j

Or i could get these 2nd hand m820 callipers for about $65, is it worth it?

post-37191-0-96350200-1412608612_thumb.j

Tell me what you think

Edited by woahroger

M810's seem to be stronger than M820's.

From my first hand experience, yes. Have broken a 640 caliper in under a month and I'm not the only one. I have yet to see a broken 810 caliper.

It's worth a try. The Saint 810 work perfectly well with the 775 levers (in fact the 775lever is a slightly different 810 lever).

I have used both and both are as good as each other, Niconj hasn't been on the forum enough to have seen other riders crack the bolt holes on their m810's when they first came out. Also the m820 caliper has a updated piston set up to stop them from leaking...

The riders boasting on about m810's being better is mostly lever related that's where the biggest difference/benefit between the 10/20's

Could someone explain the difference between the xt m775 lever, and the slx m665 lever?

There's just one screw (the free stroke adjustment) that the SLX lacks but it's of no use anyways. I have run both combined with a Zee caliper and the feel is almost identical. The bit point and lever travel is in fact identical. It's just that the Saint/XT lever feels more solid.

Niconj hasn't been on the forum enough to have seen other riders crack the bolt holes on their m810's when they first came out.

Can you show me some? I would really be interested in some pictures as I can't find any on the internet. Quite frankly I don't see why they would've changed the area around the bolts form 810 to 820 so the 810 should be equally weak. Still, I have seen 5 broken 640s/820s and no 810.

Edited by niconj

I ran my 820 caliper in the back of my marino ever since I decided to give it a last go on a trials related bike (had various issues with it.. it has seen round about 3 bikes, a loooot of setups and tries, levers, pads, rotor sizes, hoses..)

Now that I found the best setup thanks to a buddy in the german forum I'm suprised by how nice it turns out to be.

What I actually want to say:

I don't believe in the 820 being weaker than the 810 (in regard to the breaking-issue). As stated before I've rebuilt the brake at least 10 times and never even thought about torque when putting it on. Afterwars I've ridden it a couples of months with no issues but lots of hours, yet it is going strong.

I don't believe in the Zee=820 thingy as well. Unless someone gives a real proof of it I get annoyed by these rumours (just because some people always say this it doesn't become reality)

What I DO believe is that the 810 is much more likely to suffer from sealing problems. I've had 3 leaking calipers myself (to be fair, I bought two of them knowingly).

What actually sucks is the fact that you neither can buy the sealings separately nor flip them around for the ghettoish way of fixing.

What I DO believe as well is that the 820 lever sucks massively. Never even thought about giving them a try on the trials bike. Just go for 810/775 levers and your're good to go.

Edited by Martin Direske

I don't believe in the Zee=820 thingy

What don't you believe? Just have a look at the exploded views over at Paul Lange* and you'll see that the Zee caliper and the Saint caliper are the same. Even the part numbers are the same. It's just a different label (obviously) and the retention pin on a Zee that is a retention screw on the Saint (the Zee even has the thread for the screw).

*640 = 820

Edited by niconj

There's just one screw (the free stroke adjustment) that the SLX lacks but it's of no use anyways. I have run both combined with a Zee caliper and the feel is almost identical. The bit point and lever travel is in fact identical. It's just that the Saint/XT lever feels more solid.

Can you show me some? I would really be interested in some pictures as I can't find any on the internet. Quite frankly I don't see why they would've changed the area around the bolts form 810 to 820 so the 810 should be equally weak. Still, I have seen 5 broken 640s/820s and no 810.

post-22185-0-31222100-1412717301_thumb.j

If you had both calipers side by side you would see quite the difference between them both. The m820 is about 2mm shallower where the bolts slot through also, the m820 has no form of stopping the pads from rocking like the m810 but that's because shimano are going for that whole "Ice tech" stuff and it helps cool the pads down for other disciplines. That being said I would (have) happily ride either caliper as long as I had the m810 lever.

The M810 for a lot of people leaked too which is a pretty huge flaw resulting in the change of piston and shape so again without having both side by side it's hard to tell. I will take some picture's of two next to each other and show you how different they are if you are interested?

I wondered what a 2 pot caliper on shimano m810 would be like compared to the 4pot saint/zee calipers? would they hold just as well?

Wasn't actually aware that the M810s had a leaking issue - pretty much everyone I know who uses them have had no problems.

In fairness, the M810 are pretty much always going to have a bit of pad rock so that's not just limited to the M820.

Yeah I was one of the riders to have one that leaked out of the piston which wasn't idea, I think it also happened to Leon and a few others. More so from the reviews mtb riders however it resulted in the new piston design for the m820's and they're quite different visually from the back of the pads too. Not having as much around the pads the m820 pad rock is chronic compared to the m810 though haha unless you pull hard ;)

I wondered what a 2 pot caliper on shimano m810 would be like compared to the 4pot saint/zee calipers? would they hold just as well?

Well, theoretically it's 8% weaker. I had a discussion with a guy from Trickstuff and he calculated it. Dunno if 8% is a lot or not.

So if the 820 has 2mm less material, doesn't it make it more prone to brake than the 810?

p.s.: My 1:1 comparisons are made between the 640 and the 820. They have both the same caliper, just with different labels.

p.p.s.: I ran the Zee caliper with 810levers. It's a super powerful brake but as the caliper broke, I kinda lost confidence in it and got a Trialzone instead, which feels equally powerful but, as Ali C. stated correctly, I don't do huge stuff so I shouldn't be in a discussion about brakes' performance.

Edited by niconj