Anyone good with house door locks?- I done goofed

dann2707

Hey.

Last night I came home from work and the key was in the door from the inside with the door locked.

I put my key in and turned the lock for me to feel more friction than normal, I didn't realise the door had the key in the other side.

So as I've turned the lock, it has also turned the key on the inside of the house and they've moved together.

With a bit of wiggling I got both keys out as they have to be at that vertical position however there's a massive problem.

The key locks the door but it's resting in the vertical position but the other way around (180 degrees) so I can't actually pull the key out of the lock. It's like the whole unit has shifted 180 degrees within the lock when I turned my key when the other key was in the lock if that makes sense?

How do I fix this please?

Dad's going mental at me haha

If it's done it before and been perfect for a year and a half it's obviously reversible with no detrimental affects then i'd say it's fine :P

It's just cos the key was in the other side and sticking out a bit. Usually it prevents the opposite side from turning but as it was out ever so slightly it was in the no mans land of preventing the lock from turning and not turning haha

You've slipped the cam in the middle, meaning that it's in the wrong position all together now so you can lock the door but your key is in the wrong place.

Put the key in the door and open the door, take the obvious bolt out that holds in the barrel, turn the key around pulling the barrel (until it slides out, you might need to loosen the handle and give it a jiggle) Measure the lock.

To measure the lock you need to measure it at each side into the center (the bolt hole) so you'd get something like 35-35 or 35-50 or 40-60 something like that. Then you can put it back together head down to the shop and buy a barrel to fit. Usually ask for ISEO or ASEC as they're a bit better quality and should cost you less than £10 if it's more just give them the finger I buy barrels for £3.

Edit: Doing locks since I left school and getting called out to retards doing this all the time says it's goosed, you can buy Anti snap locks that you can have a key in either side (that cost upto £40 or £20 off me for a good quality one, or thumbturn locks meaning you don't need a key on the inside at all).

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 1

I hate those antisnap locks, make life a pain when you actually need to snap one out of a door lock!

You just have to drill them out with a hardened bit, It depends how much they guy's robbing you want your car key's.

I would put Anti-snap locks in with Dan's dads car but I'd say your car is safe Dan! :giggle:

You just have to drill them out with a hardened bit, It depends how much they guy's robbing you want your car key's.

I would put Anti-snap locks in with Dan's dads car but I'd say your car is safe Dan! :giggle:

Hahahaha is that referring to the penis enlarger?

Don't worry Mike, I am the very same man who once opened up a Mk1 Golf with a standard UPVC window key before your eyes :zorro:

I remember that. That was the best bit of car breaking in stuff I've ever seen. Sheer class

• Like 1

Do you do car key programming, Cocky? :P

It's not worth my time really, you'd only really make money on selling the Key blanks that people can get off eBay quite easily (you can't reprogramme 2nd hand keys on newer models now either). The other massive flaw in that is that most fully comp insurance places offer free key cover and tend to use bigger companies for that kind of thing much like they do for windscreens.

On that same note might be worth checking out your insurance?

• Like 1