Innovations in UCI bashrings?

Heatsink

Dear all,

There are 10s of UCI bashrings on the market and the difference between these is mostly about styling preferences, weight and price.

I was wondering if there are any needs being un met which could allow some innovation to come in? I've been considering releasing a UCI bashring for a while, but it's been a lower priority whilst there are innovative products to be working on like chain tensioners. Maybe there's something I can incorporate in to re-engergise the design with a unique selling point innovation?

post-201-0-18942600-1435312773_thumb.jpg

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your ideas and experiences!

Steve

Something that is actually designed to sit against the BB cups under the frame instead of on the cranks?

Here's the Milkyway Gummy bashring from 2011 fitted on both the crank and the BB. I'm wondering what stops the majority of 5mm wide bashrings from being mounted on the BB?

post-201-0-30166300-1435338792_thumb.jpg

post-201-0-75448000-1435338791_thumb.jpg

Steve

Reducing the thread contact between BB and frame would probably be one of the reasons I'd imagine? Non-drive crank clearance might play a part too.

In terms of lip vs. no lip, there is another way - Bonz used to (and still might) do a bashring that just had two 'knobbles' that stopped the bashring from spinning around, depending on which foot forward you were. I didn't really agree with the positioning of them (in that they meant that the bashring sat at a weird angle), but that style could still work and would theoretically be lighter than having to make a stepped bashring.

• Like 1

Bonz used to (and still might) do a bashring that just had two 'knobbles' that stopped the bashring from spinning around, depending on which foot forward you were. I didn't really agree with the positioning of them (in that they meant that the bashring sat at a weird angle)

Therein lies an issue with the whole 'bashring with a lip / stub to stop it rotating' thing - all cranks are different, so creating a bashring that sits in a reasonable place across all models of crank is tricky without making it look turd...

• Like 2

Cheers Mark!

Just been googling for such a bashring but no joy yet!

Reducing the thread contact between BB and frame would probably be one of the reasons I'd imagine? Non-drive crank clearance might play a part too.

In terms of lip vs. no lip, there is another way - Bonz used to (and still might) do a bashring that just had two 'knobbles' that stopped the bashring from spinning around, depending on which foot forward you were. I didn't really agree with the positioning of them (in that they meant that the bashring sat at a weird angle), but that style could still work and would theoretically be lighter than having to make a stepped bashring.

The lip in the later editions also provided a convenient fold line for the bashring if you hit them hard :P

But yeah, as Ads said, the lack of uniformity isn't ideal. Just create a knurled finish on the section of the bash that contacts the crank and freewheel and be done with it ;)

• Like 1

the only thing about the symetric was the freewheel 'lip' was so thin, that mine basically bent inwards, locking the bashring onto the cranks.

In the end i filled the lip off, and just used a 1.5mm bb spacer to hold the freewheel away from the bashring

• Like 1

I'd like to see cranks come with an integrated bash guard, one that flows in nicely and protects both sides just enough. Most trials parts seem pretty disposable so it's not the end of the world if it gets destroyed, but if it's designed right it should last anyway.

Not sure how initiative a simple bash can be, maybe something with a rubber outer edge so it doesn't smash up walls? Would mean it's harder for observers to hear in comps (it's often easier to hear the bash hit than actually see it).

Therein lies an issue with the whole 'bashring with a lip / stub to stop it rotating' thing - all cranks are different, so creating a bashring that sits in a reasonable place across all models of crank is tricky without making it look turd...

Maybe with a series of holes where you can put in a pin to get the desired location?

It's a nice idea to stop it spinning but not really to difficult to get it where you need if you fit it in the vice and tighten the freewheel up before the cranks installed ?

• Like 1

full rings are where it's at, no worrying about your set up if someone who's not the same footing as you has a razz on your bike or you have a cockup that isn't 'normal' that said the jazz bash ring had plenty of holes i wondered if you could put a bolt in it while you tightened it up to it stayed in place.

OR why don't you look to make a bash that's specific for certain cranks like the TT SLs i'm tarty enough to want a product made specifically for something i already run; i bet i'm not alone in that.

• Like 1

Maybe with a series of holes where you can put in a pin to get the desired location?

It's a nice idea to stop it spinning but not really to difficult to get it where you need if you fit it in the vice and tighten the freewheel up before the cranks installed ?

I thought about that after I'd posted actually - does make a lot of sense. Maybe with an eccentric boss so you can get a good range of adjustment, rather than just 1 or 2 positions.

Agreed about the second point too, but something I often forget as well is that many people don't have easy access to some of the tools we're lucky enough to be able to use whenever we want.

• Like 1