rear brakes on Pashley 26 mhz...

Ben Davies

Ladies, Gents,

I've been riding trials on and off for the past 17 years, a few years breaks here and there/part time love etc etc.... my first proper trials bike was a Pashley in 1999 after several small XC frames which I snapped or wrecked in one way or another! 

When I first ever got pashley no.1 home I found setting up magura hs33 a bit of a pain with a mavic d521, the brake was always spongey, squealed like a pig and was just generally really annoying - however, I was in love with the pashley and it looked so much better than the previous bikes I'd had so soldiered on with it...I changed the rim to an X-Lite Phatso after about a year and that made them a bit less annoying to set up but was still never perfect, sadly that bike was sold in 2001 and I regret it to this day but hey ho, these things happen.

Over the years I've have several different trials frames, long/short/no seat etc/20/24/26 inch wheels and something always drags me back to a Pashley - I've had 6 in total over time! every time I've had magura brakes and it has always been a pain in the ass setting them up. 

Has anyone else had this problem with this frame/brake set up? the annoying thing is that the magura evo mounts (which are easier to set up) don't fit the Pashley frame as the brake lugs are to far apart, is there any secret in setting them up on this frame or am I destined for a crap rear brake forever? ....or just sack off the maggie and get a decent V brake?

Advice would be much appreciated as I am currently building one at the moment - a very nice one at that with lots of money thrown at it!!

Ben

On 12/14/2015 at 2:00 PM, Cyder man said:

The brake was always spongey, the annoying thing is that the magura evo mounts (which are easier to set up) don't fit the Pashley frame as the brake lugs are to far apart, is there any secret in setting them up on this frame or am I destined for a crap rear brake forever? ....or just sack off the maggie and get a decent V brake?

What's the reason for not setting up EVO/Evo2 without the magura booster and using a 2bolt with loads of adjustment like a trialtech or tensile? Or drill/file out the bottom holes on a 4 bolt version so that it accepts a longer m6 bolt for the Vbrake bolt?

Or failing that, why not make a booster from scratch out of some 1mm or 2mm plate mild steel? I did this for my Zoot - just by winging it, but you could easily copy an existing item and adjusting the dimensions to what is needed.

For the current mod I made a 2 bolt (without booster spacers) by hacking the bridge/brace off a pair of tesco bike forks with a grinder, measured the bolt centers, worked out my tyre clearances, marked it out with a sharpie and set at it. Then finished off with a couple of coats of poundshop black spray paint. It works just as well as the T/tech 2bolt on the fourplay, weighs nigh on the same, and was essentially free cos I weighed in the donor bike with some other scrap and got my money back :D

EDIT: Telling slight lies... Because I use standard Magura clamps without flat tops, there are a couple of KMC Z510 rollers in there as bolt spacers so the booster doesn't foul the clamps - I actually had to add more than I needed because the booster was sooo stiff.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2015 at 10:52 AM, Cyder man said:

I reckon that's what I'll end up doing, at the moment I have an EX721 so yeah, a 521! I do plan to get something wider after Christmas though... maybe a Jitsie rim or something similar which is 47mm wide (I think - could be 49mm).

Just to let you know i have 2 brand new dx32's if you'd be interested, I think one would suit better :)

• Like 1

On 21 December 2015 at 7:04 PM, CC12345678910 said:

What's the reason for not setting up EVO/Evo2 without the magura booster and using a 2bolt with loads of adjustment like a trialtech or tensile? Or drill/file out the bottom holes on a 4 bolt version so that it accepts a longer m6 bolt for the Vbrake bolt?

Or failing that, why not make a booster from scratch out of some 1mm or 2mm plate mild steel? I did this for my Zoot - just by winging it, but you could easily copy an existing item and adjusting the dimensions to what is needed.

For the current mod I made a 2 bolt (without booster spacers) by hacking the bridge/brace off a pair of tesco bike forks with a grinder, measured the bolt centers, worked out my tyre clearances, marked it out with a sharpie and set at it. Then finished off with a couple of coats of poundshop black spray paint. It works just as well as the T/tech 2bolt on the fourplay, weighs nigh on the same, and was essentially free cos I weighed in the donor bike with some other scrap and got my money back :D

EDIT: Telling slight lies... Because I use standard Magura clamps without flat tops, there are a couple of KMC Z510 rollers in there as bolt spacers so the booster doesn't foul the clamps - I actually had to add more than I needed because the booster was sooo stiff.

Thanks for the idea... I might just consider that! 

On 22 December 2015 at 10:29 AM, craigjames said:

I know this might be sacrilegious, but you could get one of the magura braze on 4 bolt kits and switch to 4 bolt.

Either that or a really well set up vee.

That has crossed my mind but the frame has just had a new powder coat! 

image.jpeg