MT6 on the front

niconj

@Ali C Was right again. The MT6 on the front offers a lot more modulation than the MT5/7. I swapped my MT5 with Trialtech pads for the MT6 with standard pads and it's much better. I now feel that I can learn stoppies. The 4pot brake was just too powerful. The hold isn't as good though. That's why I ordered some Trickstuff pads. I'm pretty sure that with these the MT6 will be awesome.

Edited by niconj

The MT6 works fine and dandy front and rear (for both hold and modulation). if I'm doing hops to rear, or front for that matter, my tire usually slides back (or forward if going to front) way before my brake ever slips. I understand why Ali runs the Mt7 on the rear, but then most people don't go as big as Ali.

I've had my MT6's front and rear for around 9 months now, on various 180mm rotors with the standard pads, and had only one problem (lever blade pins popping out), but this happened on my MT7 levers as well from time to time.

You get the same lever as an MT7 with the MT6, and less issue with brake rub in my experience. Also...its far cheaper. So would fully recommend a set.

I actually don't care about the tool-less reach adjustment of the MT7/6 lever so I got an MT5 for 69€. For the front I got an MT6 caliper and paired it to my MT5 lever. How's the pad knock on the MT6? On the front it isn't noticeable. I don't have any issues with brake rub on my MT5 but then again, I've been riding it for only a month or so.

2 hours ago, ben_travis said:

The MT6 works fine and dandy front and rear (for both hold and modulation). if I'm doing hops to rear, or front for that matter, my tire usually slides back (or forward if going to front) way before my brake ever slips. I understand why Ali runs the Mt7 on the rear, but then most people don't go as big as Ali.

I've had my MT6's front and rear for around 9 months now, on various 180mm rotors with the standard pads, and had only one problem (lever blade pins popping out), but this happened on my MT7 levers as well from time to time.

You get the same lever as an MT7 with the MT6, and less issue with brake rub in my experience. Also...its far cheaper. So would fully recommend a set.

I've been keeping half an eye out for a set of cheap MT7s for my Arcade, just in case a set pops up cheap second hand somewhere. From the sounds of your post, @ben_travis, it'd be worth me widening my half-arsed occasional browse to MT6s as well then? I'm guessing you've had a bit of a roll about on @Ali C's bike too so are able to compare the two.

*IPB tagging system tags complete usernames and sounds pretty formal/ghey, unlike FB where you can use just a first/surname, apologies!

I can't say I've actually put much time into reading up on them yet - From your post I assume the differences between the MT5 and MT7 are down to materials and adjustability then? Performance similar? I've seen mention of the 5s having a lower leverage ratio, but could be mistaken there. 

Then the MT6 being single piston, does that mean there's an MT4 which is a subtle tweak down again?

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I can't say I've actually put much time into reading up on them yet - From your post I assume the differences between the MT5 and MT7 are down to materials and adjustability then? Performance similar? I've seen mention of the 5s having a lower leverage ratio, but could be mistaken there. 

Then the MT6 being single piston, does that mean there's an MT4 which is a subtle tweak down again?

Yes. Everything else is marketing, I'd say.

SLX vs. XT -> MT4 vs. MT6
Zee vs. Saint -> MT5 vs. MT7

They have the same caliper but the lever offers more adjustability, even though I've read rumors, that the MT7 lever has a different ratio. In any case, the MT5 with Trialtech pads has more power than any rider ever needs.

Thanks to @ben_travisWe also have seen that the MT6 offers more than enough power, which kinda makes the MT4 a very good budget option. As I said, I run it on the front (MT6 caliper, MT5 lever) and although I don't ride like most of you guys, I'd still say that this is a very powerful brake. Enough power to have me flying over the bars anyways. :D

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I've been practicing manuals a lot recently and have been reading about the technique a lot. The perfect manual is without touching the brake but for beginners like myself people always speak about "feathering" the brake. This was pretty much impossible with the MT5, Trialtech pads and an SM-RT76 180mm rotor as it was too powerful. "Feathering" wasn't possible. 

As I wasn't really happy about the pad knock of about 1mm on each! side of the Trialtech pads (the small hock on top of the pads was bent :o) I changed back to the stock Magura pads. I also had some SLX 203mm rotors lying in my shed. So I changed the setup and even with a 203mm rotor "feathering" the brake is now possible. The brake is way more progressive now than it was with the Trialtech pads. The hold is still there so I cannot fault the brake but modulation is way better.

7 hours ago, AndyT said:

Gustav M please... that was a crazy strong brake but pulled to far from the bar for me..

Most powerful brake I've ever used. Be less brutal having a Brembo goldline motorbike caliper on it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Mt5 levers seem to hold up better than mt7

How's that? I haven't ridden them but the MT5s don't seem to be too different from the MT7. What really bothers me is that the MT5 levers seem to develop play over time. Saint 810 levers don't do that and I think as soon as I get a left hand 810 Lever that I'll run them.