Trials Worthy DH or Heavy Duty Rear Tyre Ideas - 26" x 2.2

Brettoll

I am looking for a modern rear tyre with old school / retro dimensions for the Orange Zero build.

Are there any modern DH style tyres in 2.2 that are worthwhile in investment? Or failing that a heavy duty XC tyre?

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brettoll

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

I think your best bet would be a 2.35 Maxxis Minion...In my Opinion.

Cant say I know of any DH tyres in 2.2 :unsure:

2.35 is a squeeze. I have a 2.3 Holy Roller in there and it's so close!

Maybe switch out for a tacky Heavy Duty XC instead...

Have you looked at Kenda Nevegal? Used to have a pair (still got in shed actually), pretty tough sidewalls, 900g, under £15 here https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/kenda-nevegal/137006288/p?tqw=26 x 2.35

There's also a 2.1 version but less of a bargain, stick-e, https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/components/wheels-tyres/tyres/kenda-nevegal-stick-e-folding-tyre

Edited by marg26

14 hours ago, Brettoll said:

2.35 is a squeeze. I have a 2.3 Holy Roller in there and it's so close!

Maybe switch out for a tacky Heavy Duty XC instead...

Hmm, does the holy roller come in two sizes? I have holy rollers and yea, they're pretty big for their size...but I might have a 2.4 version? Dunno.:unsure:

What rim are you using?

18 hours ago, Ben Davies said:

is there no such thing as a high roller super tacky dual ply 2.25 these days?

Checked and the few 26" were 2.3's and as @Alex Dark said 26" is dead so all 650b / 27 etc. :'( 

Advanced issues found

16 hours ago, marg26 said:

Have you looked at Kenda Nevegal? Used to have a pair (still got in shed actually), pretty tough sidewalls, 900g, under £15 here https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/kenda-nevegal/137006288/p?tqw=26 x 2.35

There's also a 2.1 version but less of a bargain, stick-e, https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/components/wheels-tyres/tyres/kenda-nevegal-stick-e-folding-tyre

2.3 - nice thought but that wouldn't fit.

Advanced issues found

7 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Hmm, does the holy roller come in two sizes? I have holy rollers and yea, they're pretty big for their size...but I might have a 2.4 version? Dunno.:unsure:

What rim are you using?

2.3 and 2.2 - I have both and was running the 2.2 on the front - but wanted something with knobbles for the rear.. sigh - might be X2 2.2 for now

21 hours ago, ben_travis said:

If i'm honest dude, i think your problem is the choice of rear rim on that Zero build of yours. Get a thinner rim on there and you'll be laughing with tyre size.

Tyre roll is probably going to be the least of your problems when you start riding that thing in anger :-p

Going for a rear Mavic rim, skinny all the way

• 5 months later...
On 19/05/2020 at 7:19 PM, LEON said:

I had to trim virtually every tyre I had on my Zeros except the IRC Kujo 2.25. That was also on a D521. It's just got really sh1t tyre clearance.

Well the Zero was parted ways with to make way for an Ashton Justice - I did remember it being a pig to get a stable tyre in the rear

On 21/05/2020 at 3:58 PM, LEON said:

You've just sold the Zero?

Well a number of weeks ago - Ashton Justice came up and whilst it would have looked ace on the wall in the garage, someone wanted it to ride so a no brainer.