TMS EVO6 26R dual disc

Swoofty

There was a thread a while back where someone was asking about 26" disc pure trials frames. Through that thread I found this TMS Evo6 and now it's finally complete, well 99%. The build was a huge pain in arse for numerous reasons, but the ride today made most of that fade away. My advice to anyone who wants one of these - buy the complete bike. First off, the frame is 116 rear spacing, which is completely unnecessary on a 26" bike. The first hub I ordered wouldn't fit properly so I ordered the Clean hub that comes on the full bike. The post mount brake mounts on the frame were at such an angle they needed A LOT of facing to get them square. Next, the chain tensioner that came with the frame couldn't be set up properly and then to correct for the proper chainline I had to drill and file the frame and tensioner to get it all lined up. Had some freewheel issues as well and then over a month wait for the carbon rims from China. At least now I can go for a ride from my house in wonderful disc brake silence and never have to grind these rims. I'll let you know how it's holding up after I've got a few months on it.

TMS Evo6 26R frame

Crewkerz WAW tapered carbon disc fork

Comas 130x25 stem

WAW carbon riser bar

Extralite Hyper JF front hub

Clean X2 rear hub

Light Bicycle carbon rims 32mm front, 46mm rear

Bonz splined cranks

Clean 135 freewheel

Magura MT5 front & rear (will be, Hayes A4 rear right now)

IMG_20200801_171545.jpg

IMG_20200801_171440.jpg

IMG_20200801_171645.jpg

IMG_20200801_171654.jpg

IMG_20200801_171706.jpg

IMG_20200801_171717.jpg

Edited by Swoofty
Better pics
  • Like 10

I initially bought 2 of the A4s to try as rear brakes on 2 different bikes. The first one was stellar right out of the box. The second one was never very impressive and I eventually sold it. The first one began leaking after about a month and Hayes warrantied it and sent me a new one. It works fine again, but they don't have the overall power of a Magura MT5/7. The Maguras also have lots of pad options available which helps as well. Alas the search for the perfect trials brake continues.

5 hours ago, Private Repress said:

Nice build, out of curiosity what tools did you use to face the mounts? I need to do it on one of my bikes but the tools I’ve seen a hellishly expensive! 

Ha ha, yeah it was the hellishly expensive one! Park DT 5.2. Luckily I checked ebay and miraculously there was a used one for $125 that's still in like new condition. My local shop, even with my buddy-bro deal was going to be $30 to do just one brake and the way I go through bikes I figured it was a sound investment. Needless to say, all my disc bikes are faced now :-) Anyone is welcome to come over and use the tool, but as I'm in Los Angeles that won't help too many people on here.

I'll get a weight once the Jitsie Reverz is on the rear and the MT5.

DT-5.2_001.jpg

Edited by Swoofty
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 9:32 PM, Swoofty said:

Ha ha, yeah it was the hellishly expensive one! Park DT 5.2. Luckily I checked ebay and miraculously there was a used one for $125 that's still in like new condition. My local shop, even with my buddy-bro deal was going to be $30 to do just one brake and the way I go through bikes I figured it was a sound investment. Needless to say, all my disc bikes are faced now :-) Anyone is welcome to come over and use the tool, but as I'm in Los Angeles that won't help too many people on here.

I'll get a weight once the Jitsie Reverz is on the rear and the MT5.

DT-5.2_001.jpg

Haha I’ve just mentioned to my girlfriend about nipping over to LA from England to save money buying a bike part and she’s up for the idea haha! I bet the riding out there is incredible 

Edited by Private Repress

On 31/07/2020 at 11:19 PM, Swoofty said:

There was a thread a while back where someone was asking about 26" disc pure trials frames. Through that thread I found this TMS Evo6 and now it's finally complete, well 99%. The build was a huge pain in arse for numerous reasons, but the ride today made most of that fade away. My advice to anyone who wants one of these - buy the complete bike. First off, the frame is 116 rear spacing, which is completely unnecessary on a 26" bike. The first hub I ordered wouldn't fit properly so I ordered the Clean hub that comes on the full bike. The post mount brake mounts on the frame were at such an angle they needed A LOT of facing to get them square. Next, the chain tensioner that came with the frame couldn't be set up properly and then to correct for the proper chainline I had to drill and file the frame and tensioner to get it all lined up. Had some freewheel issues as well and then over a month wait for the carbon rims from China. At least now I can go for a ride from my house in wonderful disc brake silence and never have to grind these rims. I'll let you know how it's holding up after I've got a few months on it.

TMS Evo6 26R frame

Crewkerz WAW tapered carbon disc fork

Comas 130x25 stem

WAW carbon riser bar

Extralite Hyper JF front hub

Clean X2 rear hub

Light Bicycle carbon rims 32mm front, 46mm rear

Bonz splined cranks

Clean 135 freewheel

Magura MT5 front & rear (will be, Hayes A4 rear right now)

IMG_20200801_171545.jpg

IMG_20200801_171440.jpg

IMG_20200801_171645.jpg

IMG_20200801_171654.jpg

IMG_20200801_171706.jpg

IMG_20200801_171717.jpg

Very nice build. What do you think of carbon rims? How does it feel? 

Shame about all these things you have gone through to build the bike. Seems TMS still don't know how to build frames...

1 hour ago, Canardweb said:

What do you think of carbon rims?

I've been running carbon rims on my street trials bike for nearly 2 years now with no problems. On this build, the lightness of the rims only barely offsets the weight of the rotors so no gain there. The rear rim is 46mm OD and it's really beautiful and seems quite stiff so far. The current rear brake isn't holding like I want so I'm waiting on a new MT5 before I really start abusing it. I'll keep you posted. The entire front wheel with tyre and all is ridiculously light and I resisted the urge to go straight pull and radial laced on the non-disc side. Maybe someday....

On 03/08/2020 at 8:57 PM, Swoofty said:

I've been running carbon rims on my street trials bike for nearly 2 years now with no problems. On this build, the lightness of the rims only barely offsets the weight of the rotors so no gain there. The rear rim is 46mm OD and it's really beautiful and seems quite stiff so far. The current rear brake isn't holding like I want so I'm waiting on a new MT5 before I really start abusing it. I'll keep you posted. The entire front wheel with tyre and all is ridiculously light and I resisted the urge to go straight pull and radial laced on the non-disc side. Maybe someday....

Looks amazing anyway!

OK so now it's got dual MT5s and Reverz front and rear so it's weigh-in time. It's a whopping 18.8 pounds/ 8.5 kg. I could go to 180mm rotors front and rear and save a little weight, but there's nothing drastic I could do without getting silly. The first 4 rides have been great and I think the lightness of the carbon rim lets the wheel spin up quicker because I can gap and kick up slightly farther/higher than on my Curve V8 that's pretty much the same weight as this bike. Now I've just got to keep abusing it to see how it holds up.

IMG_20200808_135812.jpg

• Like 2