Stealth Maxles

Mark W

Feels weird to be using a different part of TF... Anyways, I've got some Rockshox forks on my bike with a regular Maxle. It's the full poverty spec one that isn't adjustable (save for the grub screw for the paddle), and with where it ends up when my wheel is the right torque it's a faff to use. Basically, it ends up almost in line with the fork leg, but due to the diameter of the fork leg you can't really keep the paddle fully engaged with the cut-out in the axle body. It's resulted in it slipping out a few times and mulching the sides of the cut-out in the axle, which in turn isn't great either... It also has a habit of coming loose.

Basically, QRs of any sort can get in the sea so I'm looking to switch to something like the Stealth Maxle. I've got the OneUp EDC Lite tool in the steerer so I've always got an alley key to hand, so convenience wise it's not a problem. My only real question is how well they work, and if they're less susceptible to coming loose than the QR Maxles? I'm not really looking to spend Rockshox money on a replacement, so for full disclosure I'm looking at something like the Brand-X version: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-bolt-through-axle/rp-prod176624

Got a photo of the Maxle you have Mark?

I was under the impression they are all adjustable, just the mechanism on some is very 'hidden'!

I've never had my QR one come loose before...

I know people with the BrandX rear Allen key ones and no issues.

I just got a pair of Brand-X ones for the Whyte to replace the Maxles and don't see them causing a problem. One thing to note (though a neat feature) is that both ends have a 6mm hex in them so you can use two allen keys at once to aid install/removal.

But also as Ad said I thought it was standard for them to have some awkward adjustment system built in!

17 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

But also as Ad said I thought it was standard for them to have some awkward adjustment system built in!

They don't appear to as far as I can tell, save for the 2.5mm allen key adjuster for the lever tension itself:

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-19-at-10-15-06.j

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-19-at-10-15-07.j

There isn't the cone spanner type adjuster that some Maxles have, and definitely no easily rotatable clicker setup either. Appears to be just a one-piece axle in that regard, as far as I can tell.

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-19-at-10-36-54.j

That's where it ends up towards being fully tensioned. Prime. That's partially why the 'loosening' face of the axle slot is so f**ked (the other part being me doing it wrong obvz) - when it starts loosening off, the position of the fork leg relative to the axle means it lifts it pretty far out of the slot so there's hardly any contact with it, and with it being fairly thin aluminium taking a bunch of force...

Cheers for all the tips anyway peeps, looks like some form of stealth axle is the way to go. Be glad to get rid of that muntery lever from my forks!

The maxle has already a bad design. It it so difficult to put the right load with this system. But in combination with your fork, it is even worse and I can't understand RS here again. What about safety?

The following video maked me worried about what RS is doing. I had a Boxxer years agos where the axle would get fuc&*d even if you take care as much as possible when using it. Then I had some of thoses maxles and like you I mulched the sides of the cut-out in the axle. I mean, sometimes you have to close it again while it is full of mud ... we are riding mtb not on the road!

I use an alternative from novyparts (he did the first steath axles, long before One Up). This guy is a really magician, he tuned forks and shocks really well and he always had nice products (first trigger lever for Reverb, 15mm direct mount stem)

https://www.novyparts.com/produits-novyparts-suspensions-vtt/axes-de-roue/

I am really happy with his axles, they are light and yoou can put enough load with.

Cheers for the info dudes (Y)

I had a stock reminder on the Brand-X axle, and it came back into stock today. Only one though, so I assume someone got it but it didn't fit their bike. They're a bit cheaper than all the others so I've given it a punt. Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 1:40 PM, Mark W said:

I had a stock reminder on the Brand-X axle, and it came back into stock today. Only one though, so I assume someone got it but it didn't fit their bike.

Was certainly a return - badly stuck together packaging, and they'd done a pretty good job of f**king the allen key broaching on it. Cheers to whoever did that (Y)  Luckily they only mullered the first few mm of them, so I just mashed my allen key past that point and it was all good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark W said:

Was certainly a return - badly stuck together packaging, and they'd done a pretty good job of f**king the allen key broaching on it. Cheers to whoever did that (Y)  Luckily they only mullered the first few mm of them, so I just mashed my allen key past that point and it was all good.

Cool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg 

• Like 1