Two Saint M820 Calipers Broken in 2 Months

Sam Song

The first photo is from today on the 2nd caliper (only two rides old)

The last two are from March when I broke the first one. 

I thought I would give the Saint caliper a chance for the 2nd time and it breaks again...

Thankfully the frame has a v brake mount I could use.

How are people running disc brakes in the back for trials use without breaking? It is crazy that modern street trials frames do not even have rim brake mounts. 

20230618_165219.jpg

20230407_210355.jpg

20230407_212350.jpg

I break a lot of stuff, but have yet to break a brake. First things first, don't use that flimsy Shimano adapter! The caliper is only as strong as its weakest link, and when your adapter goes, so does the caliper. And that adapter looks bent.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

3 things that contribute this:

1. Crap adaptors.

2. Bolts with small heads.

3. Landing backwards with the brake locked.

Can see 1 and 2 in the photos, unsure about 3 but its worth thinking about when you ride.

The bolts are stock Shimano ones. I learned from experience that for Shimano warranty, they care that you use their stock bolts. 

What adapter do you recommend?

And yes, number 3 is something we gotta avoid.  Coming from running rear rim brake all my life, I did not really think of it until now. 

Edited by Sam Song

4 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Hmm. Bolts look like 'Risk' ones on at least one of the pictures? The older Magura ones are good. Or a normal cap head with a thick washer.

Had good results with Hope adaptors.

I meant the stock shimano ones are the ones holding the brake caliper. 

10 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Hmm. Bolts look like 'Risk' ones on at least one of the pictures? The older Magura ones are good. Or a normal cap head with a thick washer.

Had good results with Hope adaptors.

What difference would the titanium bolts holding the brake adaptor to the frame make? The head of the bolt is contacting the frame, so it would not affect the adaptor at all?

Edit: Maybe you were looking at the last two photos and not the first one. I switched to stock shimano bolts after the first failure. 

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 1

If you have a clearance issue, this is because you use a wrong rotor/adapter combination. (Or your frame mount is off)

Unfortunately, there are "metric" and "imperial" based dimensions (?) for rotor and adapter, with the exception of 160mm.

So there are 180 and 185mm rotors, 200 and 203 (8").

Shimano uses metric dimensions, Avid not. Hope makes both.

(Koxx had also a 190mm disc and matching fork...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, La Bourde said:

If you have a clearance issue, this is because you use a wrong rotor/adapter combination. (Or your frame mount is off)

Unfortunately, there are "metric" and "imperial" based dimensions (?) for rotor and adapter, with the exception of 160mm.

God do you remember that? How come they even tried 190? I feel so old now...

Edited by Canardweb

On 6/20/2023 at 7:59 AM, La Bourde said:

If you have to use a spacer to clear the rotor with an adapter, does not reduce the strength of the setup?

After all the advice you were given last time you went and put the same weak caliper on the same flimsy adapter and got the same result? I'm stunned. Do you have money to buy a Saint brake every week but not £7 to buy a capable adapter?

At this point you deserve it.

Instead of questioning every experienced opinion you're offered, what about actually taking the advice? It's usually the same few people posting this topic and I contribute to nearly all of them. It's really quite a simple fix if you LISTEN.

Also, I have never broken a caliper or an adapter. Just saying.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LEON said:

After all the advice you were given last time you went and put the same weak caliper on the same flimsy adapter and got the same result? I'm stunned. Do you have money to buy a Saint brake every week but not £7 to buy a capable adapter?

At this point you deserve it.

Instead of questioning every experienced opinion you're offered, what about actually taking the advice? It's usually the same few people posting this topic and I contribute to nearly all of them. It's really quite a simple fix if you LISTEN.

Also, I have never broken a caliper or an adapter. Just saying.

To be fair, last time it broke, I had upsized the rear rotor to 203mm then it broke on the first ride. I had actually ridden the bike perfectly fine for months on a 180mm rear rotor. 

The second time, I had downsized the rear rotor to 180mm because of that. 

At this point, I am not getting another Saint Brake. I am getting a North Shore Billet adapter which I am hoping would work better. I am going to stick with 180mm rotor in the back which should help too. 

Edited by Sam Song

7 hours ago, Sam Song said:

To be fair, last time it broke, I had upsized the rear rotor to 203mm then it broke on the first ride. I had actually ridden the bike perfectly fine for months on a 180mm rear rotor. 

The second time, I had downsized the rear rotor to 180mm because of that. 

At this point, I am not getting another Saint Brake. I am getting a North Shore Billet adapter which I am hoping would work better. I am going to stick with 180mm rotor in the back which should help too. 

i do have the same experience with 203 rotors and no beefy adapters to match. After I went back to 180mm and with avid adapter, I am confident until now with my shigura  deore/mt4 combo...