2023 World championship videos

La Bourde

Hi everyone,

this year I could not watch the World Championship online and I struggled to find a replay.

I create this thread to list all the different videos related to the World championship that took place in 2023 in Glasgow.

Do not hesitate to post any related video.

I found following:

Edited by La Bourde
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't competed since the good ol' days of going through taped sections and being given points for dabs (least points wins...) but not only has it now gone for random points for making gates but it seems now nothing at all is taped and you can pretty much ride round bits you don't fancy and then attack specific sections for extra points with dabs now making little to no difference? Is this just for UCI events? Does BIU even exist anymore?

• Haha 1

The no tape is most likely a single use plastic thing, much like downhill using poles now. The look of no tape is much better I think and not seeing bin bag after bin bag full of used tape calms my inner turtle. 

Dabs do count. Dabbing means you do not achieve the 10 points for the sector you are in. "Sectors" being the area between the gates. The routes should be set so the gates get harder. This means the rider isn't out at the first gate, which can be disheartening for new riders (and old). 

The new points system is meant to stop riders being rewarded (on the old system) for strategically dabbing through a gate and finishing on 1. The rider who keeps to the spirit of the sport tries the gate without a strato dab and gets a 5 for failing. Think that's fair? 

• Like 3

I'm also pretty old school, but  I like the new system of scoring.   Like Ross said, we're rarely seeing strato dabs anymore.  They're also able to put together longer and more challenging sections, and riders who don't complete the section are still getting rewarded for the gates they get.  I used to hate it when someone cleaned a section but went a second or two over and got a 5.  I feel like it's harder than counting to 5, but still easy to follow.  Clean a gate, get ten points.  Some gates have an A B and C.  Put a foot down, don't get points for that gate.  I think the tape is still the same as it's always been, it really just needs good course builders to make sure riders aren't doing something weird to sneak through.

• Like 3

I can see what you mean and where they're coming from but a the same time it seems that it makes it even less accessible and more 'weird' in the eyes of Joe Public. If I, as someone who's been riding trials for 25 years, doesn't know what's going on until someone on a forum explains it how are the public expected to understand what's happening? The riding's very impressive, of course, and I imagine (hope) that's even from an outsiders point of view but the competition side is going to be difficult for them to understand.

What percentage of Joe public understands footballs offside rule? They might not get it but doesn't stop them enjoying a game.

I was watching the Champs in Glasgow Green and was stood next to many Joe and Jane public and heard them talking amongst themselves. You are right, they don't have a clue what was going on. Even after the simplest of explanations; don't put your feet down, go through the gates, do it in 2 mins, you could see in their eyes that they still didn't "get it". 

What I'm saying is, its not the rules that's the problem haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will echo some other stuff said here, I've got 25+ years of riding as well and I miss the old BIU days. I really DO like getting "partial credit" now, I think you should be rewarded if you make it 90% through a section and 5 vs someone that gets a 5 on the first obstacle. That said I don't like how if you dab on the flat ground (and we've all done it...) you can lose points for a crazy hard gate you made it through.

To the joe public discussion that's what I love about the old days, to explain it all you had to say was this: They have to stay on their bike between the tape and get over crazy stuff from the start to the finish in under a certain amount of time.

That was it. No A and B and C gates, no "why can't they use that obvious rock right next to the giant up, no why cant they just ride the flat ground from the start to finish.

I get how making modern sections in open areas works for spectators/filming/logistics, but I miss good comps out in the woods/mountains (Buthiers, Itadori, Les Gets 2004 qualifiers, and so on)

15 hours ago, PeterH said:

you can lose points for a crazy hard gate you made it through.

You don't lose points, you just don't gain them. :) 

I've been riding the new rules for a couple of years worth of competitions now and really like it. Maybe the ones unsure of the new system should give a competition a go, you never know, you might come round to liking it too!

Comps have been going down the pan for a good while. I'm honestly thankful of the change as there's nothing worse than stagnation. 

Edited by Ross McArthur
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:00 AM, Ross McArthur said:

What's not to like?

As always with me, I know what I want to say, I just don't know how to say it. I remember a time when people really worked hard on all the competition to make the win. Now it seems no one is really pushing boundaries anymore. Have we reached the limit? 

I like the fact it gives some sort of balance between all riders but maybe too much. I think all sections for the best categories should be unfinishable. There should be more gates so there could be extra points and that would reward the riders that worked the section the best and the fastest. 

There is also a problem with the sections being harder towards the end. Sometimes it's impossible for riders to get a chance to try to get up the last section where they could actually shine because they have to get to it with some remaining time.

Also, I know it will be a contradiction to what I have said before but riders that finish sections should get extra points because there have been draws with people that never finished a single section.

The old rules were better in that aspect because you would get 5 if you didn't finish in time.

Maybe a total competition time could help. You could keep the 6 sections, add some bonus obstacles with some extra points and extra time if you finish the base section in time. Just my opinion. But that may be too complicated for us as people clearly don't care about the rules. All they want to see is people getting up 2 meters high thin walls on seatless bikes then move on.

One thing that would be nice is to have some judges to give some points for style too just like in BMX.

It is for me a big part of the sport but it seems to become a lost art. I remember being able to recognize Hegedus from Hermance or Gilles from far away even in comp riding as now all riders look alike when riding.

I like the new rules, cause now the riders can choose different lines to get over an obstacle. A good example was this year during the world championship, when Oliver Widmann had a complete different lines, using another obstacle, with a slight slope during the final.

On the other side, as Canardweb wrote, it does not reward someone that battles to clear an obstacle. On the contrary, it rewards people that are cleaned and do not hesitate to dab once to clear a further obstacle.

To me, this is not so bad, cause it makes it more strategic.

As already said, the new rules are more complex.

It makes it difficult to follow for spectators.

And the arrows to delimit the course... No way. It is so difficult for a TV spectator to visualize where it is allowed to ride ... On top of this, many times the riders got a 5 cause a judge though that the axle was too much on the outside... This seems too random for a spectator.

I liked the team event though, was fun to watch even it is impossible to understand whether a nation can still get on the podium or not.

Edited by La Bourde
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:17 PM, La Bourde said:

I like the new rules, cause now the riders can choose different lines to get over an obstacle. A good example was this year during the world championship, when Oliver Widmann had a complete different lines, using another obstacle, with a slight slope during the final.

On the other side, as Canardweb wrote, it does not reward someone that battles to clear an obstacle. On the contrary, it rewards people that are cleaned and do not hesitate to dab once to clear a further obstacle.

To me, this is not so bad, cause it makes it more strategic.

As already said, the new rules are more complex.

It makes it difficult to follow for spectators.

And the arrows to delimit the course... No way. It is so difficult for a TV spectator to visualize where it is allowed to ride ... On top of this, many times the riders got a 5 cause a judge though that the axle was too much on the outside... This seems too random for a spectator.

I liked the team event though, was fun to watch even it is impossible to understand whether a nation can still get on the podium or not.

If what you are talking about is the white concrete blocks section where Oliver made that transfer from the slopy block to the other one some struggled to hook, then Borja followed the same route just before. Totally agreed it lets them choose their route if another one is possible. That's why I always liked the open free system.