As Promised... FIVE Prototype

AdamR28

Righty then... Five frames, all pretty different, looking for opinions please!

Please Note!

I dunno the weights or geometry of these frames, as Ive not seen them in the flesh personally, but i wouldnt have thought any of them (at this stage) to be uber-light or tank-like. None of them are exact shapes or geometries yet as theyre are only prototype ideas.

Anyway, enjoy!

Frame 1: Curved downtube, funky seatstay join

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Frame 2: CNC dropouts, twin seat tubes

Picture 1

Picture 2

Frame 3: CNCd to the max - 6 piece rear end!

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Frame 4: Carbon Fibre top tube, CNCd bits

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Frame 5: Big downtube, one piece BB shell/yoke

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Cheers,

Ads

In general, they all look very tacky.

I understand Onza maybe wanting to push the design and use new ideas, but I cant see the need for all those CNC areas and masses of tubes.

Maybe its just me, and my preference for a nice clean looking steel frame.

PS, the carbon containting frame looks interesting, but is that only glued in place?

Just though i would give a quick run down;

1-1.jpg

This one really is quite odd. Like the idea of curved downtube. The more "held back" design of the 5.

2-1.jpg

Really like this one. Looks a bit like the '05 t-mag but seat tube the other way. What the hell is half way down though. Does look funky though.

3-1.jpg

Hahaha. This ones great. Very cnc indeed. Very nice brake mounting system aswell, very origional. Would probably reduce flex like a mother f**ker too.

4-1.jpg

Really liking that they've tried something new. Not sure on strength though, especially for bails etc. The drop out's are also very wierd :(

5-1.jpg

Basically an updated t-mag/t-master. Liking the new downtube though. Probably the worst of the 5 though.

Would also like to say how great it is onza are trying all this new stuff, especially carbon fibre top tube. Top job onza :-

They all have good and bad bits about them.

Id liketto see all those ideas combined into one frame.

I like the one piece bb/yoke bit and the carbon bit and the cnc'd rear end, but the front end should just look normal and the rear dropouts need scaling down a bit.

But take bits from each make a frame and there you go, otherwise there all horrible unless indivdual bits are taken from each and combined.

Get my drift

i'm liking the top one, that does look quite sexy, the big cnc'd one is just :- but some of the ideas are interesting, like the mag mounts "inside" the seat stays, i would imagine they did that to increase rigidity, and lessen the flex of normal mounts. the carbon fibre one i like purely because of the..well......carborn fibre :- but the dropous look ugly, the last one reminds me of the T-mag bikes......whick isn't good at all :( ooh the second on is also quite nice not sure about that brace type thing in the middle but meh...

bike 1) lovely :- I love its looks, I also like the seatstay area but its hard to tell whats happening because of the gloss black paint.

bike 2) not my cup of tea, I never really liked the coust frame design, this is an uglier virsion

bike 3) less keen on this one, it kinda looks like what the terminator would ride, surly the more parts then the more there is to go wrong?

bike 4) this is more like it :( its got more traditional looks, not too keen on the dropouts though

Bike 5) Sorry, not keen on this at all! If the dictionary had pictures next to its words, that would be with Ugly.

I think Frame number one, with the carbon top tube of number 4, one piece bb/yolk and possibly the brake mounts of 3 (if it works well) would be a top frame!!!!

Frames 2 and 3 are the nicest imo. Frame 2 is quite original never seen the wild tube in the middle of the frame between headtube and seat stay area. Frame 3 has a very nice CnC element to it, abit like the XTP with all the CNC parts but very nice.

Are they planning on doing any prototype frames like those for the stock bikes because I would buy a stock version of the 3rd frame if it was for normal headsets and not the internal ones.

:( for Onza trying new designs and finding out which is prefered first before building them, thats what a company should do. Ask the riders what they want, not guess.

carbon on the downtube would be very bad. Carbon has an incredible fatigue rate but it can't take impacts very well. i prefer my downtubes unshattered

Hence why they made the top tube out of it. :-"

Frame one, looks nice but how stiff is the fron end gonna be?

Frame two, nice but does the strut in the middle serve ANY purpose?

Frame three; hmm interesting its definitely a good concept but all those welds. :(

Frame 4, innovative and definitely a good idea to experiment

Frame 5, a redesigned mag???

I say that the seeatstays off the 3 and scale then down attach them to the front end of the 4 and see what you need as chainstays. Would probably be quite good.

I really like the 2 black ones :( The first ones very neat, I'd love to see how it rides, the second looks like a black Python with a little originallity thrown in.. cant be bad.

The 4th one looks really nice, the toptube wouldn't last me 5 mins I gather but the shapes very Megamo and thats a pretty cool thing :-

Olly.

Theyre all pretty noice! The only one i can actually say i really like, without seeing the bikess built up, is the 2nd one! Would like to see them all built up and i want to know what they are going to name them! :(

Cheers,

Joe.