Clipless Pedals

ian

hi i was just wondering if anybody uses these style of pedals, because i was thinking of getting a pair. i know you have to use a certain type of shoe with them aswell.

what i was wanting to no is if it is easy to get your feet of the pedals if you have to and what are they like to ride with?

thanks ian.

hi i was just wondering if anybody uses these style of pedals, because i was thinking of getting a pair. i know you have to use a certain type of shoe  with them aswell.

what i was wanting to no is if it is easy to get your feet of the pedals if you have to and what are they like to ride with?

thanks ian.

I use them on my road bike.

Once you're used to them, it's a piece of piss to get in and out of the pedals. Just takes practise (N)

A deffinate no-no for trials though....they'd be deadly :-

Have the egg beaters on my xc - awesome.

Give you a lot more control, also piss people away when accelerating and climbing. Also a lot easier to ride generally.

Safety - found that i bail a load less downhills because my feet no longer jump off the pedals.

As for realeasing, takes a bit of time to get used to it but fine once you do, only dangers are technical uphill or being complacent then forgetting youve got them on.

As for trials, i did just ahve to try them out, in the safety of my garden with only a couple of pallets. Would definatly say no... actually reduced my gapping and upping ability, maybe cos i was scared, also balance is tricky, you cant stick the odd foot out for balance correction.

Seb

ian in the title u put clipless pedlas aisnt that what we have and you are asking about clipped pedals?

Dan

if you look on chainreaction they are called clippless pedals. at the moment i use flat padals.

they are called clipless because they don't use the old style toeclips and straps.

and no imagine trying to bail from a rail gap with your feet attached to the bike. it would end in tears!!

Lol. No.

When we were loading up the car a week or so ago to go to Addingham outside my house 4 XC boys were riding past and one had clipless pedal.

He was beaming along the road and looked at us and kinda stared at the bikes on the back and accidently went into the back of a parked car going a fair speed. He kinda f**ked up and him and the bike flew over the car and it wasn't pretty!

I think that clippless pedals or whatever you call them are a Definate no no for trials.

Imagine upping a rock and let the front end down, go to jump off sideways/forwards from the bike and well, you can't! Bike and you face plant.

No no. 4 Definate.

IVE USED THEN FOR XC A BIT,,

AND ALOT OF FIXED GEAR ROAD RIDING.

i love em,, but cliped into a fixed gear road bike has caused me alot of accidents.

but also alot of speed..

but NO for trials..

dont be silly....hahaha

hmmm SPD (special pedaling device) for trials? i dont think so. It'll act like glue between your feet and bike, but i think its too dangerous for trials!!

WARNING: to unclip, you have to swivle (sp?) or turn your foot away from the bike. This takes a lot of practise! and if you need to bail in an emergancy you cant!!

Also, it means the ball(just behind your toes) of your foot will be on the pedal, fixed, with no choice! so you wont be able to put the pedal under the centre of your foot like i have seen some riders do!

i would NOT recommend it for trials

XC DH 4X Road etc, yes, Trials NO! :mellow:

(i use them for xc and road, so i know what a pain it is to unclip (and embarrasing!) in an emergency, and thats with 2yrs of practise!!)