Hot S Pinch Protection?

Davetrials

• 1 month later...

Jees, elminating pinch flats isn't rocket science. You've got 3 options.

Decent tyre, (maxxis dual ply for example)

Tubeless,

Using a load of talcum powder/powdered chalk in the tyre, it means the tube and tyre can slide over eachother = less pinches.

Obviously you've probably not got direct access to the first two, try the third. (Y)

And yes, Hot S tyres are the worst tyres ever made. Actually, maybe not, they're red. :lol:

Mike.

I have never pinched a front one (i dont think i have anyway).

I did however pinch my rear 2.5 once, running a nokian gazzalodi tube.

The people that say they dont grip... i never had any problems, untill it was just about smooth, and started raining... what kind of surfaces do you ride on?? :lol:

I have never pinched a front one (i dont think i have anyway).

I did however pinch my rear 2.5 once, running a nokian gazzalodi tube.

The people that say they dont grip... i never had any problems, untill it was just about smooth, and started raining... what kind of surfaces do you ride on?? :lol:

I guess it's also down to PSI and riding style/skill. Like if you look at riders from the Worlds in Kaprun a few years ago, it was hideously slippy yet they were still getting loads of grip from their better technique. So maybe you're f**king amazing or something (Y)

I guess it's also down to PSI and riding style/skill.  Like if you look at riders from the Worlds in Kaprun a few years ago, it was hideously slippy yet they were still getting loads of grip from their better technique.  So maybe you're f**king amazing or something :P

Yeah, i wish.

Anybody that has seen me ride will either not remeber me, or agree i'm nothing special :P

I just dont understand it, i could ride on rails without too much problem, except for being rubbish at rails, and i would have thought they would be just about as slippy as it gets?! (Y)

EDIT: i guess i did run mine fairly hard compared to some people (wayne-king) but that would jus give me less grip?? :lol:

Edited by fairy elephants

Well i wasnt impressed with my rear hot S tyre. I pinched it about 5 times in 3 months and I had to run it very hard to try and prevent the pinches. The grip is also very, very poor compared to maxxis, the only thing which hot s tyres a good for is looks and weight :lol:

The way I look at this is... if you run a so called 'crappy' tyre such as the Hot S and you get alot of pinches that makes you a harsh/heavy rider BUT if you don't get any punctures that must make a you a smooth rider. I only run my Hot S at about 30-35psi and that is plenty for me... fair enough I do come up short and rim it a few times but I am a fairly smooth rider ( I think :lol: ) so if I went back to a Maxxis or a Comp 24 I would be laughing as I wouldn't really ever get a pinch as I'm so used to the 'crappy' Hot S which has pish pinch protection ( supposedly (Y) ). I think to many people relay on tyres with brill pinch resistance as they are too lazy to learn to be smooth riders... that's what I think anways... now I don't want anyone moaning about my post as this is my own opinion on some people :P

Watson

Like if you look at riders from the Worlds in Kaprun a few years ago, it was hideously slippy yet they were still getting loads of grip from their better technique.

They aint your average Hot S tyres though... Michelin did factory red Comp24s and soft compound Hot Ss.

Hot S look good, and are light. Thats about it :lol: I never had problems with flats, but the sidewalls tear easily.

I've only pinched a Hot S a few times. Thing is if you run them stupidly low thier bound to pinch loads. I have the rule in my mind that if it hits the rim the PSI is too low for me. So I never really had problems.

As for grip if you ride mainly in the dry its fine. I only ever had problems with wet greasy benches in the rain. Rails seemed find for me.

well iv always liked my Hot S's iv had two and have only pinced them a few times, but that was AGES ago. i run mine just under 30psi and do pretty big gaps to edged walls like drop gaps and they are fine. i find the grip is fine for me, and they are so great in the sexy red. :lol: i find them great tyres, i am pretty smooth so maybe thats why they dont go but still, i think they are great tyres.

Use a reasonable thickness inner tube.

Slit another inner tube down the centre. Wrap this around the reasonable thickness inner tube. Tape it in place loosely.

Cover the inner tube witl talcum powder or flour.

Sprinkle loads of talcum powder around the inside of the tyre.

Put the tube and tyre together.

Ride.