Grinding Rims

Wayne-king

what discs are most people using to grind their rims? At the mo, i'm using metal grinding discs, but after 1 grind they clog up and stop grinding properly (so i'm having to buy new discs for nearly ever grind!) so do stone cutting or grinding discs etc work better?

stone cutting for me too :turned:

how many grinds do people get out of their stone cutting discs? and is there any way of putting a flat perpendicular surface back on the edge of the discs?

I've not tried Andy, but i'd imagine the only way is to grind a scrap piece of metal with the disk at 90 degrees to the metal?

So making the disk wear down smaller so there is a sharp edge?

But i'm probably talking out of my arse.

My best grind was with some shitty disc, it had bits sticking out, killed my rim, but the brake was immense. Now i use a stone cutting disc, no matter how much pasty i give it, its still smooth, its homosexual. If only the old one didnt get lost.....

Yer I encountered the same problems with my metal grinding disk :turned:

I just ground harder :) Seems to have worked, But I will get a stone/metal CUTTING disk next time and hopefully reap some better grinding results!

Will

My best grind was with some shitty disc, it had bits sticking out, killed my rim, but the brake was immense. Now i use a stone cutting disc, no matter how much pasty i give it, its still smooth, its homosexual. If only the old one didnt get lost.....

why not try getting a new/different disc, they arent exactly expensive (about £1.50 from Band Q tops)

My grinds on a ronnie rim are pretty deep and are seeming to last a nice long time, not as well as my 521 and im using softer pads too.

Come to B&Q, we have a large selection of discs for grinders of varying sizes in stock, and if you aren't sure which one is most suitable for your requirements, ask one of our friendly customer advisors who will aim to supply you with the best possible service.

You can do it, when you B&Q it.

(I've never ground a rim, but everyone I know uses stone cutting ones)

James

anybody used a diamond cutting disk?

I bought one, but the teeth dont have much space between them. It doesnt rip into the rim as well as you might imagine, but leaves very sharp and very light grinds (good for a front wheel).

Also makes a cool metallic ringing when you use it, hehe :-

Oooh - discs - i use a stone cutting one :turned: Beasty.

Got my heatsink v pads yesterday and well are bit too hard to run on a smooth rim, so i popped to my local homebase and picked up a 850W angle grinder for £8.49 :) bargin :-

Came with a metal grinding and two stone cutting discs too :turned:

I used the stone cutting one, as i thought id want more like cuts in my rim as opposed to a "smooth grind" which grinding discs are designed for.

Anywho, the grind is really good brake is brill.

Seb

Edited by SebJT