Cold Callers

Dan6061

With cold callers, generally, they have your name, so they will always adress it, and they will always have a certain tone of voice and you 'just know' it's one of them. So I just say

"I'm afraid you have a wrong number, try *number here* just down the road."

And give them Broadmore Hospital's number. Cruel, but fun.

I just say,"i'm not interested", I mean it's their jobs, I dont want to make their lives any worse.

I'm the same, but it's still bloody annoying

These people have a bloody bad rep (BikeShow 05 BMX Vert reference there)

I just say, 'I'm 13 years old'... and they just put the phone down, since all their offers by law require the person to be 16+ and most 18+ :o

Or even better if there is a 1 second pause followed by a quick click, I just put the phone down before the call connects, because you know it's connecting to one of those far east call centers.

Yeah these bar*tards are really annoying!

"Is Mrs......... there please?"

no shes out!

"ok I'll call back later"

o please don't!

Just hate picking up the phone and then theres a long pause and im like "hello, HELLO" then they suddenly come on and say is blah blah there please!

God there annoying!

I'm going to have to start being a bit nastier to these buggers so they know not to call back! :)

Rob :o

That isnt what I do, but in the call centre where I work there are people who make outgoing calls, and It aint a nice job, so please dont be nasty to them! On the other hand, ones which are totally incoherrent due to being foreign and not speaking a word of English, yes, whack the phone down

'Hi is Mrs Arter there please?

'No, sorry, she's not.'

'Can i speak to Mr Arter?'

'No, my parents are dead, they got hit by a drunken thug driving a bus.'

'Oh, i'm soo sorry!'

*Click*

:o"

Once my brother kept some lady on the phone for about 45 minutes, asking her to explain this 'amazing' mobile phone offer about three times, fully. In the end, he said 'no, sorry i'm not interested.'

(He was bored).

Usually just hang up but when they know your name you don't always know its a cold call so you end up talking, the best one was the local paper ringing to see if we were interested in subscribing. I said we dont read the paper and the woman gave me a list of reasons so i replied i'm blind, unfortunatley it backfired and she started telling me about audio versions and a coffee afternoon for the elderly and people with bad eyesight. :"> God i felt stupid :o

NEW CONTEST

keep em going for as long as possible.

Make anything up, and keep em on the phone ofr ages.

Unfortunatly out phone is ex-directry, so I cant join the fun.

You do realise that most of these companys just tear a page out of the local residential, and work that page.

I know, I used to do it while at school.........

It's because the Preference Services sell long lists of numbers of their subscribers to telemarketers/survey callers. My brother works in the telemarketing business, and that is true, at least here in Sweden..

You're never safe.

In Britain it works. It's regulated and it's possible to take action if they call anyone on the list (although it can take a couple of weeks for the details to get through to everyone that needs them). I'm not a scammer (thanks Janson) :o and I'd recommend the preference services. You can read more at the particular websites for them. I'm signed up to them and I haven't regretted it.

I've heard a program about this and from what I can tell the marketers have machines that just call numbers one by one, eg 0207 111 111 then 0207 111 112 etc, and if someone answers they get spoken to.

That's how they get yours, Urban Poet.

JTM can put me right on this, maybe.

Sometimes the machine gets through before the person attached to it has finished with their previous call, leading to you wondering if you've had a funny phone call because there is just silence on the other end. If you wait long enough you'll probably get someone trying to sell you stuff.

If these machines get through to a dead number (the deafening "beep beep beep... the number you have dialled has not been recognised") it deletes the number from the database, leading to the thought that if you put these three tones on the beginning of your answer machine message - assuming you have one - the dialling machines will delete you from their database. I didn't try this, but it sounded like an interesting idea.

On the other hand I had read somewhere that the machines are now being programmed to take account of the length of time/number of rings before the tones are heard.

There. Here endeth the lesson.

Telemarketers, eh? Who'd have 'em.

I had one the other day on my mobile......

'Hi i understand you have a contract with 02 that runs out soon'

'Yea'

'Well here at blahblah tel we could save you money'

'Im not interested mate'

'You mean you dont want to save money'

'No'

:ermm:

When they ask for Mr. xxx or Mrs. xxx just say yeah I'll just get them for you, then put the phone in a drawer for an hour or so until they go.

Yeah this is what me and my dad both do. It always works, some of them are stupid enough to actly wait (not for much longer than 10 minits though)lol

ive done "cold calling" myself..and you'll find..99% of the staff really dont care about the job, weither your interested or have something ammsuing to say....pranks coming from the callers end are a classic..i heard some really funny ones while working there.

Ash