Manueling

sir trial a lot

i understand many people find mod bikes harder to manuel than stock but i just dont seem to be able to manuel :P i would really like to learn as when we travel a little way to where we are riding everyones manuelling everywhere and im just riding (as i am the only mod rider) so i need to make myself seen and manuel everywhere! please tell me how, ANYONE! :D

Its all about finding the balance point and keeping it there.

When you bring the bike up bend your knees and keep them bent and keep quite low. Then use your weight to keep you up (moving back and forward of balance point in sexual motion)

Use the brake if you must but try without it.

This is how I manual, you would be better finding what people like Jon Shrewsbury, Matt Berridge say.

Its really not that hard a concept is it.

Pull up on the bars , Use the back brake to stop you looping out , Start to pump the manual with your legs , Pratice .

If your mates are manualing everywhere why are you asking on here how to do it?

It just takes about a weeks practice trying it for a bit everyday, and you should have them dialled. Basically pedal or pull the bike straight up and keep your weight over the back wheel, shift your weight according to which way your falling, same with the brake.

When I was learning I was doing the pulling up part and using the brake but I was pretty unstable so I couldn't hold them for very long, but as soon as I crouched a bit it was all fine and dandy, so yeh, don't underestimate how important it is to bend your legs.

Yeah, true - make sure you pump with your hips when you bring it up into manual position, and you'll have your legs nicely bent so you can 'pump' if the front end drops. Same deal as hop to manual; try and land into it, as it were, it's all about getting your legs bent so you can pump.

Manual's are super nice on my bike at the moment, 1005mm wb T-Pro with fairly high (38") bars. All good :D

Just keep practising, really. Same as everything else :P

Does anyone sometimes get the problem of not being able to lift the front up? :D its weird, like u have to pull it up a certain angle or the front just wants to stick to the ground..

I can see you ride a zoo pitbull, if its long and low its gonna be a lot harder to just pull up, try doing half a pedal stroke to set yourself off.

its possible to manual anybike its all about the balance point, but the lower and more stretched out you are the harder it is to pull up :P

mike

I like to lean my body and head just over the bars a bit for a split second then pull up, just to give you a little more momentum getting the front wheel up. I keep my arms straight, keep the bum low and over the rear wheel. Feather the rear brake very lightly to stop looping. Front wheel too close the the ground - give a small pedal click and shift body weight back more, keeping arms straight. Starting to loop it - squeeze rear brake harder, body weight forwards.

use your knees to keep balanced, and to turn corners etc. I find that if you kind of hump your bike, i.e slight backwards/forwards motion whilst manualling to pump the bike and keep the manual up and moving will help.

Takes practise but its great when you can just pull them while youre riding to locations, really flowy and smooth, stylish.

Hope that helps :D

You know guy's,it's funny,wether i'm on the trials forum,a bmx forum or a DJ forum this question keeps coming up.

Now i ride my bmx every day as i take it to work with me.On the way home in the dead of night i like to practice my manuals and i've got to tell you all,i still can't get the hang of them and it's really frustrating because i really want to be able to do this seemingly easy trick.

The first time i tried them i looped out BIg time and the bike spat me off and left me with no thumb knuckle skin on both hands(and i was wearing gloves!!) so there may be a little mental block their,but i still keep trying.

What i've found now is that,because i try them on my bmx every night,when it comes to my DJ bike,i struggle to lift it/find the balance point let alone manual for even a short distance!

Someone must have found them hard to do at first but then found some technique that totally changed the way this trick is done?? I know practice makes perfect but it doesn't seem to be getting better at all.Should i stop trying to manual the bmx and concentrate on the DJ bike which will be a lot closer to my trials bike,or do i need a different technique as the crouching position/pumping thing doesn't seem to like me at all and i'm paranoid about looping out!

Sorry to hijack the thread but i'm struggling with this as well and i really want to get this trick down!!

Cheers,

Mike.

Edited by desire68

I reckon if you're jumping on other bikes, the geo might make a difference to the balance point. So if you're starting out try and stick to one bike and get it perfect.

Then go for the next.

Then mess about with both.

I can manual a little on my street bike, but I have to use much more force to get the front up on my XTP short.

Manualling a bmx should be easier because of the geometry, but personally I prefer learning on a stock bike (the DJ bike should be great), with a GOOD rear brake.

I had a similar mental block caused by a lot of accidents where I looped out onto my back, causing permanent spinal injuries that i still suffer with years later. So I found it hard to regain the confidence in pulling the front up to learn manuals, but i found this way helped:

Go onto grass, get used to TRYING to make the bike loop out and just practice jumping off the back before you hit the floor (so you get used to bailing off the back safely). When you are used to this, confidence will be a bit better.

Next, get used to pulling up and before looping out, lock the rear brake on so the front shoots back down again and you are safe. these two steps will make your confidence much better because you have a lot less worry of accidents.

Now, practice pulling up into the manual balance point. It takes time to learn to get it dialled, but you push your legs out when the front dips, and pull them in when the front is getting too high (and possibly dab on the rear brake if needed). If while practicing you feel yourself falling off the back, you can either use the rear brake, or jump off the back.

Hope this helps,

Scott

p.s. By the way, once you can manual on your dj bike there should be no problem at all then going onto your trials bike and doing it. I learnt on a short-reach setup giant trials team then went straight onto my t-pro and manualled it fine with no probs.

Edited by SQuiT-man

My brain can't handel manuals :- i cant even get up things without pedal kicking, but it dosn't bother me, its just one of those things you have to go out and practise.

:D

My tip,as I've recently regained my confidence on manuals.First of all,to get the front hweel up,compress down on to the bars,then in one smooth fast motionstart to pull back. I find you should pull from the shoulders,by leaning back,and try and bring them down and back. Your arms should be straight,they're only there to attach u to the bike, you don't physically pull with them as such,the pulling comes from leaning back and dropping the shoulders. Something that helps me to get the front whele up is too straighten me legs at the asme time as I lean back, and pushing the pedals forward with my heels kind of. Once you feel the bike start to reach the balance point,bend your knees,that should hopefully bring the bike under control.

My 2 pence!

Kind of embarrasing , really . I'm having problems getting it up too . :"> :-

Should I try to adopt the backhop stance for manualling ? That would seem logical , given that it's the balance point on the back wheel . I can wheelie just fine , and occasionally stand up from it and roll for a few metres , but the Arcane art of manualling continues to elude me . Help !

SquiT-man and butcha87,

This is the most informative explanation of how to manual that i've ever read,Thanks guys,while reading the posts i could almost feel the technique that you guys were explaining,i'm gonna adopt all of the above this weekend and i'll let you know how i got on next week.I'm sure that i'll be able to pratice manualing properly now!

Cheers,

mike.

When i used to ride mod (megamo comp) i found that it manualed better than all the stocks i've had but it may have been because it was small and i'm big so i could put it where i wanted it. :)

You may not want to but once you can manual for like 2 seconds or something

try not using your breaks as it will force you to do the manual properly.

I've been breakless on my bmx for 6months and it took me about three days to adjust to manualing but now i'm so much better than i was before and can manual till i come to a stop pretty much as i've got over the fear of looping and slamming my break on.

This may seem scary but once you can get a bit of a manual going it may help you learn faster. :)

online bmx guide with vids

Edited by spangler

i`ve been out today and i can manuel a little now but seem to get it up and end up when it gets to the right height using the brake. for some reason when i get it up there my body goes rigid and i expect the bike and brake to do the work. i suppose i just need to relax more rather than tensing up. :)