I Need Another Hobby

PaRtZ

Be a geek. Lets face it, the image is f**king awefull, but the money is f**king awesome.

You could call it art. If driving is schumachers art, or painting was da vinci's art, then coding is my art. I enjoy it, and i enjoy watching others use my creations.

Probably not to everyones taste, but you might as well use your time on a computer better then surfing t-f all night/day. (Y)

Is there any books/tutorials that a mere noob could start with preferably a program I could use in linux

pinky

Is there any books/tutorials that a mere noob could start with preferably a program I could  use in linux

pinky

I hate it when people say this, but on this occassion I think google would be your best bet (Y) I don't mean this in any sort of gay way, but I think you could find some good tutorials (Y)

I hate it when people say this, but on this occassion I think google would be your best bet (Y) I don't mean this in any sort of gay way, but I think you could find some good tutorials (Y)

yeah but I dont actually know where to start at all what the hell do I search for (Y)

What about Chess?

I was really into it once. Get hold of one of Chess Monthly and the mysteries about the game dissappear. You used to be able to send off £1 to them for a free old copy.

Published by the London Chess Centre

Sample pages from mag

The best form is against friends in 5 or 10 minute games rather than tournament/match play.

Makes people think you're clever too!

Steve

play rugby!!!!

i'm a winger too and possibly the heaviest ever hehe (cept for the mauis) hehe

rugbys great and very sociable even more so after a few drinks in the club afterwards hehe

major lady magnet aswell as long as you get your face out of the way otherwise you will end up looking like a distorted shrek :blink:

oggy

my own game called dodgy-le-chavs,

basically you have to put yourself in a very awqward possition late at noight ina chav infested area then the challenege is to get out oif the place without being started on or verbally abused,

also other missions such as chav following and trying to take something from the chavs can be done!

me and chris did this loads last winter on the way home at 9-10 bloody good fun haha :blink:

also its free!

Edited by craigdavies

Is there any books/tutorials that a mere noob could start with preferably a program I could  use in linux

What do you want to learn? There are many different languages you can learn on a Linux machine. The most basic is probably bash scripting (which you've probably done a little of already). Other than that you could learn another scripting language like perl (if you're utterly mad), python, etc; Or you could learn a compiled language like C (or C++; or C#), python, etc; Or you could be like 95% of the other people who learn to code these days and go straight into web based programming. In which case PHP is really the only sensible option (although PHP can also be compiled or run locally as a scripting language, so it's pretty good for most things).

If you're really undecided PHP is probably a good place to start. It's easy to learn to write a basic script in, but allows you to do all sorts of amazingly complicated stuff when you get a bit better. Just google for "PHP tutorial" to get you started, and when you start getting the hang of things a little more go and buy Advanced PHP Programming which is just about the best PHP book I've ever seen. Although it's a little above beginner level.

All you need to code any of the things above is a text editor (vim will do nicely) and in the case of the compiled languages a compiler, or in the case of the web based stuff a server. Easy.

What about Chess?

Chess is great. I used to play a lot, but haven't played properly for years now. At one point I was actually doing fairly well in the county championships - but that was when I was about 12 or something silly.

I've been meaning to buy a nice new chess computer for ages actually - the rare times I get someone to play against these days I always seem to beat them really easily - which isn't to say I'm still an amazing player, I just always end up playing against people who are far less than amazing.