Its Rainin!

craigjames

ok so its raining absolutely loads outside and i wanna ride, but being new to this and having limited skills i want to know what the best tyres and brake pads are for ridin on wet slippy concrete. i've found my normal high rollers and standard magura pads to be a bit crap when they get wet or muddy.

help!!

cheers ^_^

Edited by curly_freak

You shouldn't be saying it's 'only' a D521, they produce some of the best, long lasting grinds out of most rims....

Give your rim a fine but sharp grind using a stone cutting disc on your grinder, then spend some time setting the brake up nicely with some Koxx bloxx (green or brown are both really good)

As for tyres, as aleady said you cannot go wrong with some Maxxis Highrollers in 42a super tacky, but as you have a 521, I suggest getting it in 2.35 and not 2.5, as if you get into trying some spins, the tyre can fold...

And for smooth rim pads, go for some heatsinks ^_^ http://www.heatsinkbikes.com

Edited by Fishwog

sorry bout the 'only' a d521 comment, lol. i wouldnt mind trying a grind as i might be getting a new wheelset soon anyways, so its not to bad if i fubar it up, just scares me attacking bits of my bike with a grinder!! 2.35's are what i have atm and i find that they still roll a bit with spins and so on, so i think youre right a 2.5 would be far too much.

so its koxx brown/green or heatsink blues....... to grind or not to grind........

does a grind really make a huge difference?

cheers for the help ^_^

just go out and ride dude, you may feel oain when you fall on your arse but you aint going to get to know how things are in the wet if you dont try. i go out rain or shine and have a good larf. its best when its wet and you see something extremly dirty!!!! and green and you think right il get up that in a different way and see if i can get grip, land on me arse a few times then when i start to get more of an idea of how/where the grip is you start getting more confident with it.

Waynio..........................

its awesum in the rain just go out and get wet and then you will soon get in the mood for it if you just keep the inspiration there. shit brakes or no shit brakes, grippy tyres or no grippy tyres :lol: ^_^ :)

just go out and ride dude, you may feel oain when you fall on your arse but you aint going to get to know how things are in the wet if you dont try. i go out rain or shine and have a good larf. its best when its wet and you see something extremly dirty!!!! and green and you think right il get up that in a different way and see if i can get grip, land on me arse a few times then when i start to get more of an idea of how/where the grip is you start getting more confident with it.

Waynio..........................

its awesum in the rain just go out and get wet and then you will soon get in the mood for it if you just keep the inspiration there. shit brakes or no shit brakes, grippy tyres or no grippy tyres :huh: ^_^ :lol:

furry muff!! shall do, just a bit sketchy doin gaps and the tyre go's or the rear brake slips!!

ah well!!

cheers :)

I agree with this, for clean rims in wet or dry steve's heatsink blues work a treat. Haven't slipped yet!

Weird. Mine slipped in the wet and dry, with a grind and without. And with tar, and without ^_^ Everyone else seems to have problems with htem in the wet too? Maybe you're super lucky or something :)

Either way, for riding in the wet I'd get a grind on the go.

Be a man and saty inside when it rains with you bike. bit will go rusty and you'll fall off and hurt you self and blame us and yeah!

Dry is good dude, go forth and rip up the streets in the dry

Or go ride in the rain and get better bike control :lol:

its awesum in the rain just go out and get wet and then you will soon get in the mood for it if you just keep the inspiration there. shit brakes or no shit brakes, grippy tyres or no grippy tyres :P :P :P

Was that bail you did on the rail in the wet,or was it dry, cant remember.

so when are they shoving this great big roof over bristol then?!!! sounds pretty good. only live half an hour from bristol, never actually ridden there, scoped it out when ive bin shootin film with my mates who skate and seen some people about. but it all seems a bit above me at the mo. oh well its one way to push yourself!!

i dont mind ridin in the wet i just find it a bit sketchy with my bog standard pads and tyres and was just lookin for some advice to make it a bit safer/easier.

cheers everyone :P

yoyoyo

i just noticed your from bridgy, i live bout 10 minutes away from there but ive never seen anyone out there ridin. well apart from will, but he quit a while ago. just wondered if u could show me where u ride in bridgy or where ever u go?!!

:P

come 2 bristol in about a year and u could ride in the rain with no probs. they are wasting £350,000,000 on a glass roof goin all over the shopping centre and over all the grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 riding spots.

so now we can ride in the rain with no pain :P

Thats awesome, i mite have to come up to bristol next winter just for the fun of riding in the rain without getting wet. Really good way to spend 350 million pounds though. :P :P

come 2 bristol in about a year and u could ride in the rain with no probs. they are wasting £350,000,000 on a glass roof goin all over the shopping centre and over all the grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 riding spots.

so now we can ride in the rain with no pain :S

Yer but you will get chucked off within seconds, if they go ahead with it. I doubt they will put a cover over it as it costs too much and they won't really gain much from it.

A glass roof? (Y) , there going to have to employ flower watering people for the borders. Sounds ace though, no doubt just the fact its 'indoors' will make it a bust though. (Y)

exactly.