First Cars

Ingram

My first car was a Peugeot 306 1.4 lx, it was still a phase 1 (P reg) and i wouldn't recommend one...

I started having lots of problems with it (complete gearbox failure costing £380 for example) and thought I might just have a duffer, but it turns out every bloody 306 is crap! For all you 306 owners out there, here's a low down....

1. Gearbox tends to completely fail around 60,000 miles

2. Clutch wears exessively, and won't let you know about it until your clutch cable suddenly snaps, not good

3. Without fail around 70,000 miles your Head-gasket with blow

4. Fan and timing belts need changing by about 30,000 miles

5. Over a very varied amount of time, the wiring loom in the car will just completely rot away, the first things to normally go are the central locking, abilities to open sun roof and use of electronic windows, and theres a LOT more...

6. lower arm P Bushings will go in the front, causing random vibrations when the car is slowwly maneouvered

7. There is one engine mount on the bottom side which as standard has too much play in it, and if not sorted out at around 80,000 miles will cause your body mount point to crack.

8. The car dents WAYYY to easilly :lol:

Anyway, yeah, don't buy a 306, unless its a Y reg 306 gti-6, which it probably won't be....

Edited by Fishwog

I waited till i was 19 then bought myself a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI (Special edition with nice exhaust and few other bits) Set me back a fair bit but it came with free insurance. Haven't got a pic but its pretty nice. Had it for nearly 2 years now and its still running a treat no problems....

Its not bad for a 1.2 either.

Vauxhall Corsa 1ltr 12v. Dead slow (but i got about 110 out of it and ive done a 0-60 in about 11 secs, so not bad!!), but does the job. Not bothered modifying it or anything cos its a Corsa, whats the point?! That said, check out http://www.corsasport.co.uk - what a joke, these guys really are loosers haha!

Ive had it about 3 years now (S Reg, 1998) and it costs me £561 Fully Comp.

Only problems Ive had were regarding the exhaust and some sensors, nothing else. Starts without fail every morning (apart from once when we were heading to the Base bikes try-outs and it had a dead battery).. all good. Highly recommended first car... just dont bother putting alloys and such on, save ur money for a mint second car!

Jonny.

Vauxhall Corsa 1ltr 12v. Dead slow (but i got about 110 out of it and ive done a 0-60 in about 11 secs, so not bad!!), but does the job. Not bothered modifying it or anything cos its a Corsa, whats the point?! That said, check out http://www.corsasport.co.uk - what a joke, these guys really are loosers haha!

Only problems Ive had were regarding the exhaust and some sensors, nothing else. Starts without fail every morning (apart from once when we were heading to the Base bikes try-outs and it had a dead battery).. all good. Highly recommended first car... just dont bother putting alloys and such on, save ur money for a mint second car!

Jonny.

problem with the 1ltr 12v is its a 3pot.... its a really rough motor IMO, much better off with the 8v 1.2, its far smoother and more refined! although equally as slow im afraid :lol:

corsasport.... what a joke!

Jonny.

Yeah my mates old Corsa B's have all been shit 1.0 , 1.2 and 1.4. My 1.2 16v is pretty nippy , Infact it used to leave the 1.4 Corsa b for dust.

my first which i currently have had now for 2 months is a renault megane coupe 1.6 12 valve with electronic multi point injection whatever that bollox is. Insurance isnt that bad really considering the size, i got it down to £1380 through swinton telling them that i was planning to take my pass plus they lowered it by £500 to the said price all i had to do was take my pass plus within 60 days of getting my insurance. Car cost £1430 not too bad. Some people say the cars are reliable and dont seem to break down i say them people just dont spank the car hard enough i've killed a gearbox and the starter motor just stopped magically, now i think the clutch is going but on a P reg it is 11 years old. I believe cars with a high safety rating like mine has kinda lowers the insurance a bit. I dont know why its low my quote on a 1.3 civic DX was £1709 which is ridiculous and thats got a top speed of 95mph and i have reached a top speed which will not go any faster no matter how i try of 125mph wheres the justice????!!!!

stu :lol:

I started off with a sh*tty diesel pug 106, with a 0-60 time of like 20 sec's! Nearly a year on and I have a 1.6 VW Golf which flies. Am now on the lookout for a GTI :lol:

Oh my god. If that's it in your Avatar get a picture on't forum right now.

I love Old Golf's. Aren't the 1.6's uber rare? I want one but insurance....

I don't have my own car yet but have just got insured on my moms 1.6 16v vauxhall vectra, pretty fast for what it is. Hoping to get my own car but now i'm getting used to my moms car so anything i get for myself will feel slow (Y) i want another 1.6 if i can afford insurance, shouldn't be too much of a problem as i'm doing pass plus at the moment. Fingers crossed i can find something quick and insurable (Y)

Edited by flipkickbs

I don't have my own car yet but have just got insured on my moms 1.6 16v vauxhall vectra, pretty fast for what it is. Hoping to get my own car but now i'm getting used to my moms car so anything i get for myself will feel slow (Y) i want another 1.6 if i can afford insurance, shouldn't be too much of a problem as i'm doing pass plus at the moment. Fingers crossed i can find something quick and insurable (Y)

your 18.... pass plus aint gona help you matey.... unless your loaded.... it will make it cheaper, but insurance for an 18yr old in your own name on a 1.6 will be a joke!

a 1.6 16v vectra isnt that qucik really, get a small car with a smaller engine and it will still feel nippy!