Helmet Time!

mat hudson

well, its time for me to buy a helmet. i really dont have much of a clue as to what to get apart from xens are nice, so are semi mx's. i really dont want a bmx style piss pot.

so, if you've had a good experiance with a helmet, fire the name of it this way and i'll take a gander.

cheers, mat.

I have used a lot of different helmets, I gotta say that pisspots seem to be the strongest, seeing as they cover more of your head than most XC style helmets, they have a hard plastic outer, unlike the thin shopping-bag outer of most helmets. So pisspots are probably the cheapest and strongest and most protective helmet out there.

Things like the Giro E2 and Havoc are sorta light weight XC specific stuff that isn't gonna protect you as well as stuff like pisspots, Semi MXs and Xens. Pisspots have poor ventilation and can weigh a bit, I got a Semi MX recently, and I am very satisfied with it, seems to be a cheaper version of a Xen, similar looks, and offers reasonable ventilation.

If you can afford it, get a Xen, if not seriously try for a Semi MX while they last! Otherwise, if you don't mind poor ventilation and are a bit vicious when riding, then get a potty like TSG... all the 24" riders use potties, so they can't be too bad for what, £30 or less :P

get the xen, its a beautiful helmet.

recently got mine, a good switch from 661 mullet to a xen camo. its so much more comfortable. and it actually feels like its designed to fit people's head. (unlike potty;s thats just a piece of crap on your head)

there's so many colours to choose from too, cool colours, original colours and weird orange camo like mine to match my new orange bits on my bike! (pretty old too...)

its light, and offers goods ventilation.

look no further.

steve :P

I bought a giro motivator for £30 i think they was and what baragin, i just dont see point in spending so much on a helmet when you could be spending it on the bike.I have had a 661 mullet and it made me look even more of a meathead yet is probably stronger than my giro.

Clarky. :$

Edited by JASON CLARK

Looks and sounds like giro's are the dogs, I'd go for one of them, that's what I'm gona get when I get one after xmas :$

Nathan ;)

Ive been considering waiting until after xmas to get a new helmet, any thoughts on weather its a good enough idea to wait until the january sales?

Get the xen my friend. I used to run a Semi mx on my head. and that started to wear out, So i Thought id try somethign abit more 'xc' orientated. And the extra venitilation is a god send, I love my xen, its a perfect fit, Nicely styled, ad fits your head well so it dosent look huge lol.

Cheers

Tom

i used to swear by giro's until i got an LAS squalo, check them out, the sites crap but the helmets are amazing

lashelmets.co.uk

Good god they some ugly helmets, they seem to be pretty much all road orientated too.

Get a giro and be done with it (Y)

Sorry to random-ify your topic Mat, but there was a quote in this weeks Times that said 'The difference between wearing a helmet and not doing so is the difference between a paracetamol and learning to speak again'.

Which i thought was quite good.

I use a Giro something, Animas... Served me well so far (Y)

Good god they some ugly helmets, they seem to be pretty much all road orientated too.

Get a giro and be done with it (Y)

ever heard the saying dont judge a book by its cover? the looks grow on you but even if they didnt't the fit on those helmets and the build quality shits all over giro's, like a isadi before i used to swear by giro but just put an LAS on your head and you'll never go back, the fit is unbelievable, i ride without my chin strap done up half the time because theres no need for it.

also just watch this space as to them all being road orientated, i'm sure you'll be seeing alot more of these lids as people come to realised how much better than giro and met they are...

well, its time for me to buy a helmet. i really dont have much of a clue as to what to get apart from xens are nice, so are semi mx's. i really dont want a bmx style piss pot.

so, if you've had a good experiance with a helmet, fire the name of it this way and i'll take a gander.

cheers, mat.

xen 2006 helmets are beasts, i just got mine, uber compfy etc, I used to have a Giro Havoc helmet and they were pretty damn nice aswell, not too expensive either...

ToM ^_^

I've got this TSG one, it's in a bit of a tw*tish combination of colours/graphics though - I've only ever worn the thing once, and I need to start more as I expect it's debilatating my progression somewhat.

Helmets are life-savers, but I can never ride with them - I tried snowboarding last week for the first time, and I had a similar experience....although my head was freezing without the hat I had in my bag, and the numerous hoods on my combination of coats/jumpers; I couldn't use them....I found they were uncomfortable, restricted my vision/head etc.

I think the thing I dislike most about helmets, is that I find them so distracting...the extra momentum/restrictions placed on you're head - I know there'll be a day when I will regret my laziness though...