Making A Trials Game.

Mr Monty

I'm in if you need help

I've done games on quake and unreal engines before & im a ninja Max user (its my job). I can code a bit too if pushed :) .

Anyway - pm me if you like. I can certainly do modelling & texturing & I know all about doing it in realtime.

Hiya, Don't want to piss on your bomfire, but its one thing having a 3D model. Its another thing having a computer game. What rendering engine are you going to import into? Who is going to construct the 3D environment? I don't mean draw a map in a 3D program, but assign attributes to the whole thing for a rendering engine to process. Who will make the soundscape. Where will the physics engine come from? Who is going to code the all the game logic into the engine? Are you going to seek licensing from the manufacturers to use thier registered trademarks in a computer game?

I'd imagine it would be considerably easier producing it as a Mod for an existing game.... I mean they make rally games for quake engines. They have produced RTS Mods for halflife.

If it was that easy to make a game, why are there no cycling games?

Hiya, Don't want to piss on your bomfire, but its one thing having a 3D model. Its another thing having a computer game. What rendering engine are you going to import into? Who is going to construct the 3D environment? I don't mean draw a map in a 3D program, but assign attributes to the whole thing for a rendering engine to process. Who will make the soundscape. Where will the physics engine come from? Who is going to code the all the game logic into the engine? Are you going to seek licensing from the manufacturers to use thier registered trademarks in a computer game?

I'd imagine it would be considerably easier producing it as a Mod for an existing game.... I mean they make rally games for quake engines. They have produced RTS Mods for halflife.

He's says he's using the unity engine - I haven't checked the engine out yet but given that he's written some physics code down in an earlier post I reckon he's got that end of it in hand.

As for constructing stuff -thats what he's asking for help on.

I kind of agree about the modding rather than writing from scratch thing though - it'll probably look a lot nicer done on an existing game engine. My choice would be ut2004 because the vehicle code in there is very easy to expand - plus theres a fooking bag load of info available on unrealengine coding compared to HL2.

Sounds an excellent way to move it forward :D Make a Trials Mod for an existing game. Cause all the coding is in there already. Like you say, the modding community for Unreal is massive.

I suppose it wouldn't be a million miles away to edit the bmx properties in GTA: San Andreas... just an idea (Y)

Found some sortware for doing a garden which will be more then big enfor makeing a map people give me ideas on what you what on it.

thanks sam

what do you mean doing a garden?

what program it might no open in unity.

Sounds an excellent way to move it forward :D Make a Trials Mod for an existing game. Cause all the coding is in there already. Like you say, the modding community for Unreal is massive.

I suppose it wouldn't be a million miles away to edit the bmx properties in GTA: San Andreas... just an idea (Y)

I dont understand what that means like use as a template? i have never made a game like that befor.

O yea i need some textures as well like shinny metals and tyres and a bumb grafix for the grips and tyers.thanks

Edited by mrwhitefield

cool idea for a game...how about a fun map or bonus map or whatever...i dont know how your doing it. but you could have a map of a ummmm almost nude woman lieing down in a pose or something and you have to ride over her lol. by the way i got that from the moto trials game in the bonus packs. but 3d would be (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

Good luck

Clawz

At last, someone is making a biketrials game (Y) . I really think they should make a biketrial game for the PS3 or Xbox 360.

It would be good, would be nowhere near making a profit so won't happen until trials becomes big, like skateboarding.

But good luck with making it, should be pretty cool.

you could have a map of a ummmm almost nude woman lieing down in a pose or something and you have to ride over her lol.

i did that for quake3 - it was superb. i reckon it got burnt in the grand disk fire of 2001 though :(

mrwhitefield...

msn is ill_ness@hotmail.com

When we talk about modding an existing game we mean frigging with the code and replacing / adding some new models to make it into a new game. It all kicked off in its modern form with doom - people started hacking open the archive files and replacing textures to make it look different.

taking ut2004 as an example. Epic have been kind enough to provide the world (for free) with the source-code to the game logic - so you can change what happens in the game. They dont give you the source code for the rendering engine - cos thats what they make the money off. They also give you the tools for creating levels & models etc. ID(quake) and valve(halflife) do the same but Epic's tools are a lot better integrated and really well documented (comparitively) - plus the code is a lot easier to expand and use. The game logic is written in a java style scripting language - if you've got your head around C/C++ or something to that effect it's not too hard to pick up.

anyway - drop me a line, I'm on msn most days during office hours.

I am making a trials game but i need some 1 to make the maps and some textures

well tis is what i have dome so far not much but hay i just stared to day seeing if i could get a team together any sugestions please share thank you. (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

Hey,

When you want textures, would that help if some of us sent out our best trials scenery pics in good res (with no riders around) so that you can map them onto blocks. say pictures of rocks, pallet stacks, wood logs, concrete, tires, skips etc..? I can wander around and take a few clear pics on my next ride.

Or do you want components pics or full bike pics or riders?

Just mention the size, resolution and who you would like it sent out to...

Looks like Poo Pipe is on the case :shifty: , but you could be receiving loads of pics to play with if you define exactly what material you want. ;)

I looked at Unity last night - assuming you're talking about the MacOS one I take back everything I said about modding UT2004 being a better idea.

It looks fooking excellent, I've used loads of game dev kits in the past and Unity looks like it shits on all of them.

I'm half tempted to get a dirty Mac after seeing it.