Who Uses What?

sir trial a lot

Hi,

I was just wondering who uses what in their hs33. mine hasnt been bled since new (about 15months ago) so i was thinking about re bleeding it. Im really tempted to do a water bleed in the bath. So yeah, what do you guys use in yours? :-

\

I have been running water for the last few years. No problems at all I would never go back now to mineral oil

As above, I could never go back to mineral oil, water just feels soo much more direct and controllable. Ive been running it for well over a year now, with no problems other than it freezing once while I was out on an exeptionally cold ride, but it soon thawed off lol.

Do ittttt! Save some moolah too, as you will soon get used to bleeding your brakes yourself- it only takes me about 3 minutes now I'm used to it.

Its not as if mineral oil costs any real money. £5 of oil will last forever, oh and its what the system is designed for. Water will compress anyway, after all that why if it gets in car brakes it ruins them and you have to drain your brake fluid.

I'm sure its slightly cheaper, but how many riders are into saving pennies, when you waste a fortune on brand new parts all the time :D

"water compressing", sorry but thats a very stupid thing to say. To stop it from freezing add some anti freeze to the water, it feals just as nice and doesnt freeze at all. It also has i slight oily texture to it so it cannot ruin the seals etc (Y)

Edited by medwaytrials

Its not as if mineral oil costs any real money. £5 of oil will last forever, oh and its what the system is designed for. Water will compress anyway, after all that why if it gets in car brakes it ruins them and you have to drain your brake fluid.

I'm sure its slightly cheaper, but how many riders are into saving pennies, when you waste a fortune on brand new parts all the time :D

Thats crap, water won't compress in your brake any more than oil will, which it won't at all. I think the system is also only designed to be run with original Magura pads, but i'm betting you aren't running black pads or kool stop pads are you? I think if it gets in car brakes, because they're discs they get hotter same as my front disc, so the water will boil inside and can cause all sorts of porblems, but a hs33 won't get as hot so its fine.

It's not really about saving pennies at all, it feels nicer... end of.

P.S. I run water as well by the way.

iv just spoken to a lad in the workshop who is EXTREMLY well knowledged.

Water consists of AIR............. H2O.......

even though it gives better feel etc etc, water was not put inthy brakes for a reason, even though so many of you use it. but thats only an opinion but i just thought i would put that SOME water does compress, water out of your average tap will compress (this is what i have been told and was/still having a conversation with robin about) water in tubs say from sainsburys etc, you MAY get away with not 100% but like distilled water maybe better than tap water.

im just saying what im talking about and been informed. BUT i think this is why magura dont spec it in their brakes from the factory. maybe it isnt. i dont want people to start ranting about it, as i would rather believe a 28 year old who knows alot about alot of things i wouldnt even understand than people on here who only see things from their experiences. :S if you get me.

please please please dont reply to this post in an aggressive manor. if its wrong then its wrong but i was talking about this yesterday as i was asking robin if i used Dot4 in my magura what would happen and he has very good information for me. and i talked about the water thing aswell.

Waynio.............................

its De-Jar-Vou to me cos i was talking about it yesterday and it pops up today :Slol!!!!

even though it gives better feel etc etc, water was not put inthy brakes for a reason, even though so many of you use it. but thats only an opinion but i just thought i would put that SOME water does compress, water out of your average tap will compress (this is what i have been told and was/still having a conversation with robin about) water in tubs say from sainsburys etc, you MAY get away with not 100% but like distilled water maybe better than tap water.

im just saying what im talking about and been informed. BUT i think this is why magura dont spec it in their brakes from the factory. maybe it isnt. i dont want people to start ranting about it, as i would rather believe a 28 year old who knows alot about alot of things i wouldnt even understand than people on here who only see things from their experiences. :S if you get me.

please please please dont reply to this post in an aggressive manor. if its wrong then its wrong but i was talking about this yesterday as i was asking robin if i used Dot4 in my magura what would happen and he has very good information for me. and i talked about the water thing aswell.

its De-Jar-Vou to me cos i was talking about it yesterday and it pops up today :Slol!!!!

sounds sensible air compressors always have water in them toowhat is this water called i woder ?

I am not that up on all the tech terms for this compression talk but i also thought a compensator/splitter and some deionised water would be worth a try but to be honest never had a problem with my maguras when they are bled right they work fine and i don't think i will bother

i would say a tred about lazy cylinder action would be another one for a good rant :)

H20 (hypothetically) contains oxygen, not air :P Air also has nitrogen, carbon dioxide, monoxide, flourine blah blah blah :P

OK heres what I believe (doesn't mean its true) and to also contradict what I said above

What your mate said waynio IS true. Water CAN contain air, I mean why else would we have to bleed every so often? When the oxygen atom combines with the 2 hydrogen atoms it forms water. Oxygen as humans breathe and we know it most is TWO atoms of oxygen chemically bonded together. Ozone is THREE atoms but thats not important.

If what you mean is that water contains air because its chemical formula has oxygen in it, im afraid I dont believe that. Water contains air because it basically can't displace (i think) it as much as magura oil. Also meaning that the syringe method of bleeding doesn't completely get all the oxygen out of the system. Because magura oil is thicker, it can push it all out. Think of it like Mr Muscle ;)

OK I await the rabble of people who actually study A level or degree chemistry to tell me Im wrong... :P

i was asking robin if i used Dot4 in my magura what would happen and he has very good information for me. and i talked about the water thing aswell.

If you were to use DOT4 in your brake system, you'd probably notice a little bit of difference as it's thicker than water, but as it is designed to go in car's brakes, it has to withstand really high tempratures, but the minerals and other shizzle that is added to it in order to allow it to withstand these temperatures, makes the solution corrosive, and before long, the seals in your brake system, will start erroding away, and your brakes will leak and get air into the system. therfore i strongley reccoment that you do not put any brake fluid designed to go cars' brake system, in your bike's brake system...

Mike!!!

Edit: I forgot to say that to stop my water freezing in my system, i add a capful of anti-freeze into my mixture when i bleed them, which also acts (Y) as a coolant in the summer. (Y) can't go wrong (Y):-

Edited by mike

Although i can see what you mean i don't think your quite right with it, water (H2O) consists of oxygen molecules but it isn't the same thing as air. Water is a liquid and air is a gas, so they are both different despite being similar in their build. The oxygen molecules that make up water aren't little bubles of air they're a part of the water on a microscpic level. So small in fact that it isn't the same as having an airbubble in your brake.

Hope that was friendly enough for you waynio

I think the best thing that you can use is de-ionised water that comes in a big container from wilko's for about £1, If you leave it before you use it and don't shake it around before you suck it up with the bleed kit syringe it shouldn't have many air bubles in at all, if any.

Water may contain miniscule impurities of air if not distilled or whatever, but at the end of the day it doesnt matter. The effect at the lever of your lever and frame's combined flex will be as much, if not more than the effect of the undistilled water compressing when you pull the lever hard. If you get bubbles of air in it, it is not just from the natural content of air impurities in the water, it is due to a bad bleeding technique, or air entering the system somehow, e.g. through a hole in your hosing, a bolt not being done up properly, or the ends of the hosing not forming a perfect seal.

Just bleed ur brake well in tap water, or if you dont trust that, use magura oil, and go ride (Y).

But water gets a vote from me

ok everyone just call me a trials newbie but i run mineral oil and it runs lovly i love it and wouldnt go for the cheapy water sorry all those water fans but hey when i get myself a lil bleeding kit i will try water but atm its a right cufufel getting my brakes bled (N)

All this water talk making me thirsty! (goes to get drink......)

Right, I use water, Quick,easy and dont have to worry about waste.So its all good :)

If DOT4 goes on your raceline magura lever and you wipe it the writing comes off :-

Edited by T-MAGura