Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

24vs and 6 cylinders are better still..

Intrigued by your twin engine idea. What's it going to be, 4wd? or 2wd running a single gearbox through a massive driveshaft? Or something different?

From reading it I got the impression it was going to be a fully independantly sprung, 4wd twin engine job?

Just been looking at the durocco... oh my god I want one.

24vs and 6 cylinders are better still..

That's what my Mondeo is as it happens, and no, it isn't better ;)

It's going to have engine in the front for the front wheels, and an engine in the back for the back wheels (Y)

www.durocco.com :)

Quinn wanted 3k to insure me on a 1.0 3 cylinder corsa.......

Are there any other cars than an audi quattro/golf syncro that run 4wd with similar sized running gear to a scirroco/mk.2 golf? And, As far as Im aware VW designed the porsche 924, decided not to make it and sold the designs to porsche? This was obv. at a similar time to the rocco, so anyone have any idea atall if a 924 rwd system might be anything like similar to a rocco?

I want a project, I want to do somthing a little crazy, and ultimatly that required fabrication, since I enjoy fabricating things.... after seeing te durroco/being told sciroccos are basically on an audi quattro floor pan (true?) I figure that it should work fairly well as a 4wd/rwd car, the wheel base isnt to short etc. so.. hmmm.. I have a love of all things VAG really so a rocco seems pretty obvious. Just not sure atm wether I want to undertake somthing so massive on my limited knowledge (no better way to learn than by doing eh) or weather to just buy somthing like a mk.2 gti and thrash around in it for a while. Ultimatly though I want some RWD/4WD in my life... and I dont really want a BM, or any jap cars.

You can RWD one, like I'm doing, just be prepared to cut shit loads of it away (depending on what donor car you use). I chose the BMW (because I had one) and also, because there's scope for mega engine upgrades should I get bored with 2.0L. It's just BMW's rear underpinnings are some what complex.

My advice, get the car you want, and get the donor car you want..Then get cracking. There will ALWAYS be people who tell you you can't do it, and that your an idiot, and that it won't work, and that doing it another way would of been easier/cheaper/better blah blah, but sod them. Do it how you want to do it. Just get on with it!!

Hmm, isnt the 2.0 engine a straight 6? is it going to fit in? Length/track wise how does the BM match up? Its like 20 questions :P

I was thinking of a 924 as a donor, since there cheap as shit, rwd and iirc designed by VW at a similar time, although Iv just realised they run rear torsion bar sus. so thats the rear sus set up out the window for that..

Edited by Tom_

Hmmm 924s rear track is 1396mm, but then theres the stupid sus. issue.

Need to do some research me thinks.

Roccos are really bloody expensive to insure! its £700 more to insure a 1.6 rocco GT than it is for me to insure an 8v mk.2 gti.

This is all sounding rather ambitious. I shall do some reading, evalute it all and what not.

Edited by Tom_

This is all sounding rather ambitious. I shall do some reading, evalute it all and what not.

Good plan.

Reading is for girls. Just get on with it.

Not such a good plan. ;)

Ambition, yes. Enthusiasm, yes. Research and knowing what you're doing before you start a massive project, essential.

Tom_ have you much experience of serious car modification? I've only done fairly minor stuff, fitting and tuning my turbo being the biggest step by a long way, but the sort of modification you're considering is really going to require some good fab skills. Its going to need lots of time and money and dedication.

to be honest why not just drive a 924 rather than a Rocco with 924 gear? Is after all that work a rear drive rocco really gonna be any better than any other rear drive car you could have bought for the money you'll need to spend on the project?

By all means go for it (Y) I'd be interested to see how you get on, just make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for.

haha, yea I am well aware of all that, ultimatly its probably (deffinatly?) a dream in the back of my mind. I couldnt bring myself to drive a 924 i dont think, its abit on the wet side. Im just looking around atm, I have/should have semi reasonable fab. skills, I can weld anyway.... :\ I dunno but some point within the next 5 years I do plan on undertaking some kind of major project, which requires some kinda of serious fabrication, just because its somthing I really do want to do, cars seem to be all I think about at the moment, along with girls and food.. (hehe, the joys of being young :P) and Im currently at college learning skills and gaining knowledge which should prove very helpful with such things.

The roccos just an idea, one of many that I guess I will consider.

From what I can see, from being under the arse or my rocco for god knows how long..Theres just no room for anything from any RWD set up to fit, not easily anyway. I'm busy fabricating pretty much a whole new rear end for mine.

The basic problem is trying to fit - diff box + mounts + brackets, trailing arms, ARBs, driveshafts etc into what used to be a simple beam and strut.

What is it you have in mind?

This photo shows a little better what I mean..

Its hard to see depth wise, buy could you not say side exit the zaust and run the prop through the exhaust tunnel? Obv. the rear is going to need some changing for trailing arms etc.

Anyone can buy and drive a 924 around...Not everyone will have a 'rocco running 924 gear though eyy.

With my conversion, it's more about " I will because I want to". I imagine it'll be a bit of a pig to drive, and a right handful in the bends but that's a long way off yet.

Thats fair nuff. The project sounds a good one, I wasn't knocking that. Just the notion of starting a big project like that with out doing your research properly first. :)

haha, yea I am well aware of all that, ultimatly its probably (deffinatly?) a dream in the back of my mind. I couldnt bring myself to drive a 924 i dont think, its abit on the wet side. Im just looking around atm, I have/should have semi reasonable fab. skills, I can weld anyway.... :\ I dunno but some point within the next 5 years I do plan on undertaking some kind of major project, which requires some kinda of serious fabrication, just because its somthing I really do want to do, cars seem to be all I think about at the moment, along with girls and food.. (hehe, the joys of being young :P) and Im currently at college learning skills and gaining knowledge which should prove very helpful with such things.

The roccos just an idea, one of many that I guess I will consider.

Sounds like your going about it the right way :) Good luck (Y)

Its hard to see depth wise, buy could you not say side exit the zaust and run the prop through the exhaust tunnel? Obv. the rear is going to need some changing for trailing arms etc.

That'll be a prop with like 7 UJ's ?

Be a f**king man, just get the rear axle in.

Then once thats built and solid get the engine in.

Then cut a foot wide gap out of the center of the car and have an aluminum box section made to cover it all in.

It ain't rocket science Allen, I'd have had this done by now if it was up my yard.

RIGHT! I have an idea for the lupo. it needs the body work totally redoing, so as I NEED a car to get back and forward to work in, was thinking about getting a get about car while I get the loop sorted. and TOTALLY strip the loop down, get it media blasted. engine bay smooothed. change of colour. maybe get the engine and bearbox reworked. Or find at bigger engine. sort it all out nice. Would take a few years. but that i dont mind. mean while run about in a lil shitty caddy pickup! lol

worth it? or more hastle that its worth?

RIGHT! I have an idea for the lupo. it needs the body work totally redoing, so as I NEED a car to get back and forward to work in, was thinking about getting a get about car while I get the loop sorted. and TOTALLY strip the loop down, get it media blasted. engine bay smooothed. change of colour. maybe get the engine and bearbox reworked. Or find at bigger engine. sort it all out nice. Would take a few years. but that i dont mind. mean while run about in a lil shitty caddy pickup! lol

I think you should run around in the lupo and restore the caddy.

:huh:

That'll be a prop with like 7 UJ's ?

Be a f**king man, just get the rear axle in.

Then once thats built and solid get the engine in.

Then cut a foot wide gap out of the center of the car and have an aluminum box section made to cover it all in.

It ain't rocket science Allen, I'd have had this done by now if it was up my yard.

Gunna leave loads of strength in the shell that way (Y).

Do what he said, only weld in a steel cover, rather than placing some aluminium over it. Sorted.

In all fairness, do whatever you want! as long as the end result works its all good.