Bmx

mr ailsbury

right i'm thinking of getting a BMX to mess around on etc when I sell my run around bike, I should have around £200/250 to spend but as I have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to BMX i thought i'd ask you guys for some advice on what to get like :)

so can anybody help me give me any information on what would be a good choice of bike to buy please?

cheers,

Tom ^_^

I have a few questions too :)

Luckily for me I have a wee bit more to spend than Mr Ailsbury so I was considering either:

An Eastern Ace-of-Spades.

IPB Image

Which seems to come with (what looks like - :$) a pretty dialled set of parts, Chrome Rear, a gear ratio more toward my liking and it looks pretty swell in general.

Or:

A WTP 4 Seasons.

IPB Image

Which, again, seems to come with some all round decent parts for the money. But, let's be honest here, I havnt really got a clue when it comes to BMX!

For the most part I'm just gonna be cahooning about at my local dinky park on this thing, as well as street - so pretty much the same as most riders. I'm about 5'11, but I'm not that fussy about long or short bikes.

Any help is muchos appreciated.

.....blah....

Any help is muchos appreciated.

yo, i've got the 4 seasons so i guess i'm slightly bias but imo its awesome. Seems very well put together, the parts are all great from what i can tell, and i haven't had any issues with it yet. Rides really nicely too and its quite light.

I haven't riden the ace of spade obviously, but 'm off out now to meet up with a mate who just bought an element, so i'll blag a go and let you know what it's like later.

yo, i've got the 4 seasons so i guess i'm slightly bias but imo its awesome. Seems very well put together, the parts are all great from what i can tell, and i haven't had any issues with it yet. Rides really nicely too and its quite light.

I haven't riden the ace of spade obviously, but 'm off out now to meet up with a mate who just bought an element, so i'll blag a go and let you know what it's like later.

lol quoting myself.....

anyway, i got a quick go on my mates element yesterday. It seems pretty solid, and very very smooth, not nearly as nimble as my four seasons though and seemed slightly shorter/lower. The parts are all pretty much the same quality though, which considering it was a lot cheaper is pretty awesome. It Came with a chrome rim and casette hub etc.

however, it also made me realise how nice my 4 seasons actually is. It is so flickable for a bmx it's untrue. I don't know how the ace of spades would compaire, i guess it would be close but i'm pretty sure i'd pick the WTP every time.

Well , i think i'm the only one who would vote for the Eastern. I bought a 2006 Jane about a month or so ago. Just something to blast around on and ride trails in the summer. The main reason i went for it over the 06' 4 seasons was due to the fact it had a 21" inch toptube.

The 21" toptube was my main concern. So i bought it mainly on that fact. It also worked out slightly cheaper which was a bonus. The spec you get for the money with Eastern's is unreal! The cassette hub is like a profile Seriously solid enagements. Cranks are brilliant as are General spec and attention to detail.

The only bad things were , the Chrome rim pretty much flaked out of the box and the bars were to low for me. Personal preference on the bars really.

If i wasn't bothered about toptube length , i would of gone for the Ace of Spades.

Eastern gets my vote! (Y)

loadsa good advice above, so not much point in me going on, but i will just remind people that a top end bmx, is by no means cheaper than a top end trials bike.

Extremely similar price brackets stand for trials and bmx. By that i mean that the quality you would expect in a trials bike pricing at £250, is dwarfed by the quality of a bike 2 or 3 times that price.

If you spend a small amount, you will very often get parts that work, maybe even work well, but usually don't last half the time a dearer part.

Of course not everyone is rich and people do have limits to what they can spend. But always spend as much as possible because it does matter in bmx.

Things to look for as a must, are 3 piece cranks. This is a MUST.

If you are under 5ft 5" 20" top tube could well be long enough and comfortable. 6ft, definately 21", more if you are buying a frame alone which is made longer.

In between these heights, you could really do with trying some bikes and seeing a frame length you like. 20.5" or 20.6" is a nice middle length for an average sized person.

Hoffman are cool, WTP are cool.

John.