Friendly Debate

Jeza

need help sorting out a dedate.  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which front brake is better

• Hope mono trial 180mm
    • avid mechanical

Hi, me and my friend are having a debate,

I own the hope mono trial and i think its pretty un-beatable for power etc... he feels the same about an avid although hasnt actually got one yet.

Your view please.

tough choice........

I have had 3 hopes and ALL of them broke within a week! (my falt, I always hit the hose where it goes into the side of the caliper) one of them I rode 3 times, every time I hit that hose and I got fluid all over my disk and pads.

They have immense power though, and are light.

the avid has awesome stopping power, more adjustability and a cable is easier to replace than hosing.

But they are heavier, kinda fragile (I am on my 5th in two years) and the cable can get manky.

I would personally rather have a magura louise fr, but if it MUST be out of those two, I would have the avid unless the hope was super cheap.

Avid for me! `EASY` to use and setup, combined with the great power and ok modulation makes this the brake for me!

Then again, I don't have a Hope.....but I imagine they are pain to setup / change pads / bleed etc, as most huydrolic disk brake's are! :unsure:

I have never had a brilliant show from nay cable disk brake ive owned, but i admit i havent owned an avid.

I have ridden a few and have been surprised by there power, they are nice brakes. i do find them very hard to modulate though, even when theyve been set up with amazing cables and XTR levers (which brings the price up!)

Hopes have almost never failed to impress me! i have one hope brake (out of 8 or more that i have owned) that has dissapointed, and thats a 2nd hand mini which would be fine if i sent it back to hope to get sorted! just had lots of little things not quite right, but i think thats a one off. I also had a mini mono 160 on the front of my XC bike that dissapointed in terms of power, but it was tiny!

Derf's brake always blows me away! the power he has out of that 165 mini is silly! Its so clean crisp and still has as much modulation as you need.

I have a mono M4 on the front of my trials bike, and everyone says that must be overkill but then love it when they ride it! it has loads of modualtion and isnt actually that bitey, but will lock if needed. i love it!

I say Hope, but apparently my brakes are shit so I dont know what Im talking about.

Avids bite and hopes modulate as mike said.

Bleeding a hope brake is sooooooooooooo easy its untrue, so people saying replacing cable is easier, I would say its probally quite close if you ever have to bleed it to rplacing a wire.

Avids do work very well and are cheaper. But I wouldnt change from my mono trial.

Hopes are best.

Avids are best.

Mat

Wow now! No need to get all scientific with that reasoning there!

Been thinking more, and the avid can be used with many different types of lever. Which should be putting the avid in the lead (but obviously not <_< )

Ian

Edited by flipkickbs

I would probably go for an Avid. There's probably not much in it in terms of performance. Both are powerful enough, the Avid probably has the edge, but no-one has fingers so weak that it would make a difference. The Avid is just grabbier, and has a different feel due to the cable-ness of it. I like the feel and the grabbiness, so I say Avid.

I would have said hope because i really like how they feel, but the ease in which they can go wrong puts me off them (bedding in, seals failing, fluid contamination, lack of adjustability). I'm sticking with my avid, love it to bits (Y)

Hmmm pretty tough one actually. I'd say a brand new avid will be better than a new hope, but they need a lot more maintenence. i have a hope trial myself and ive had a few avid mechanicals and im sticking with my hope, but no disc can beat the power and grabbiness of the avids - so amazing for gaps to front wheel, they are just incredibly powerful.

Now i know how to set up an Avid, definatly Avid for me.

Of the 3 Mono Trial's i've felt, none offered as much power/bite as my 185mm BB7, and i've grown to like the feel of it. The Hope's felt spongey in comparison, and although the power felt nice, i just prefere my Avid.

Not really tryed anyone elses' Avids but everyone who's been on my bikecycle has been suprised/impressed by the power.

I think if you were to ask the wider mtb ing public this would be a no brainer!!!!

Im not quite sure why, but trials forum is the only place where a cable disc is viewed as a serious rival to anything hydraulic.

If you went out doing dh,freeride, cross country or whatever and said you had bought a cable brake over hope/hayes/shimano etc you would be viewed as absolutely mental.

Thats because it works aswell as if not better.

My mono goes really weird. Took bike out of car last night for first time since sunday and the disk was fine on sunday, last night it was squeaking like a whore and not locking. Spray the hose on it and its fine. :S

Weird.

Avid mechanicals for the win, purely because I never broke mine in all the time I used it. It was also more powerfull than the two hope mini's I had used (and broken both in one way or another, cable leak, or seal leaks etc.)

Hydrylics may be considered a no brainer win for DH etc. as they don't bash the bikes against rocks etc.

Avids are more reliable, unlikely to get oil on your pads when a seal goes etc. requiring new seals and pads.

Oh not to mention all the hopes I had rewuired you to really pull the lever like a mofo to get it to 'bite'. My avid still takes just a light pull to make it work...a sure winner