Disk Brake Or Magure Hs33

Joe_Da_Man

Hello all, >_<

When i first started biketrials. I rode with a V-brake on the front, And ever since then i've keep that brake because it's been working brilliant. Not the time has come for me to change.

I was going to get another V-brake because it did me proud, But then my friends told me not to bother with them, and get a disk brake or magura.

So relating back to the topic, Which Brake do i get

-Hope trials 160mm disk brake

-Magure Hs33.

Hope you guys can help me hear :S

Thank-you Joe

Edited by Joe_Da_Man

I would say get a hs33 as they are cheap and if you get a disc they you have to a disc hub and forks so you would have to splash out for that as well. Also if you like the v-brakes then i don't see why you should change it because there is no point spending money that you don't need to.

Hope this helps Allen.

Hi,

I would go for a Avid BB7 or a magura louise FR, I have the louise and it is amazing, No problems yet, Smooth as hell, No frills front brake.

But if you want to go for abit of a cheaper option, Go for the Avid BB7,Smooth Brake feel, and cables are cheaper to replace (Y)

Is this for your front or rear brake?

I think people like having front disc brakes on the front because they offer more modulation then an hs33 does, except with the avid bb7 (which I would reccomend if I had to choose a disc brake) I've heard that it's pretty much on/off, just like a hs33...

so I'd say out of the two choices you've given, go for the hs33. Personally though I'd just stick with V-brakes, and maybe just upgrade. (i.e avid sd7 or ultimate brake, odyssey linear slic or nokon cable, and xtr or ultimate lever).

Orginally the same as you basically i ran a deore on the front for a while but found the cable was getting stiff and tightened up too much so recently i looked to get a new front disk brake. I purchased a 203mm Avid BB7 off my friend and i wasnt dissapointed. its dead powerfull with good lock unsure about too much modulation havent had it long enough to find out!!!

Bu disk brakes dont take a lot to bed in anyway! just dragg it going down a huge hill and pour icy water on to it afterwards is soon sorts itself out! (havent had to do this yet on mine as it was bedded in)

Unless you need the modulation of the hope save your money an get an avid!

I'd say get a BB7, more modulation than a magura but loads of power when you need it (Y)

Also with a disk it's one less rim to grind :D

edit: mine only took around two rides to bed in and that was just from using it to slow down, so I wouldn't really worry about the bedding in period

Edited by the judge

I rode with a V-brake on the front, And ever since then i've keep that brake because it's been working brilliant.

Eh? I'm sure you have an disc on the front?

Anyway, In my opinion, Disc.

Simply because they are generally uneffected by weather, have a nicer feel and they lock on a lot harder then a Hs33. Although the only problem is hitting the disc...and then you're screwed, although if you stash some spares then you're ok. But one hit to warp it the slightest bit and your out of riding for a few days.

what is it with all newbies? you all just waste your money, your prepared to go and waste uneccassary money on a disk just because your mates have advised it? you have stated that your current set up works fine so why bother changing it?... maybe change the pads if anything or buy a different lever to improve the feel of the brake. some people on this forum are only trying to help but in my eyes they dont consider the price of the components and sometimes maybe they arent the best option.

if i had to choose out of the two and had to give you advice, i would say to buy a second hand hs33 with some shit pads that offer decent modulation, i use koolstops and sometimes blacks depending on what im doing.

dont waste your money mate if your v set up works fine, cause a front v is pimped.

cheers Jonny