Alternative Brake Lever For A Hs33

Moi

Hello!

I just bought a green set of Magura HS33. After riding with the rear brake (with braided hose) for about a week, the brake lever decided to break. (I don't wanna talk about it)

Now my mind is set to anti-magura (I don't like their new levers, and the material they are made of) so I was wondering what you think about mounting a discbrakelever on it?

Is there anything that will make it not work at all, or is it something that might work decent?

I know that the warranty will not be valid anymore, but it doesn't matter for me.

The lever I was thinking of is a Hope mini lever

thanks in advance!

Edited by Moi

any chance of modifying a discbrakelever (without reservoir) to make it work? or is it a no-workie-at-all?

any tips on another brakelever that could work besides the magura's?

I've heard that the R&B Design levers leak very easy. Is this a fact or myth?

It won't work, disc brake levers have a resevoir in them which, i think, allows for fluid expansion when the disc gets hot. Now rim brakes don't get hot so won't need a resvoir and as such it will not work with a disc brake lever.

When you pull a magura lever the lever pushes the piston which pushes the rest of the fluid through the lever.... now with a disc brake when you pull the lever some funky stuff happens inside it and then the pads move.

Shit explanation but NO IT WON'T WORK. Sorry :(

Looks like maybe you tightened it too much????

Yeah I'd say the same.

Well there's the rb leaver, and that about it unless you want to start bodging things.

I've heard mainly bad things about them, but seals can be bought really cheap off of heatsinkbikes as far as i know.

Looks like maybe you tightened it too much????

that was exactly the answer I was expecting. And I understand it too.

But my version of this story is that I didn't even get to the point of the tightening. This means that I was far far away from overtightening it. Believe it or not. (it's my words against common sense, and I am losing the battle :( )

But this isn't bringing the thread anywhere. I will probably try to get a R&B or a 2004 Magura lever. I have tried the 2004 before and it worked like a dream.

Thanks for all the answers!

Is it a shop-bought leaver, if so you could maby try and get some sort of refund? Or if not maby a discount on another leaver, just phone magura and get haggling. ^_^

Is it a shop-bought leaver, if so you could maby try and get some sort of refund? Or if not maby a discount on another leaver, just phone magura and get haggling. ^_^

Bought from an internetshop, sent them pictures and a description, but on the pictures it looks like overtightening. I don't mind it. I gave up trying to get a new magura lever.

Now I want to try something different. I just haven't decided what yet.

funk all the buy an 04 lever get a v-brake!!!

say what?

Edited by Moi

Only a few of us have ran a differnt leaver on a set of Hs33

Leeson and me

I use a Hope Sport C2 leaver with fresh brand new pistons throughout. have to use a Magura babrb fitting with an o-ring on the end to seal up with the leaver if using std maggy stuff, other wise use the coper washer on braded stuff.

I have the leaver here

They are no longer made and are not easy to get hold of on there own but give an amazing feel, have to run booster due to the flex. more power than Rb, stiffer than anyhting as it's all CNC'd and make your brake work mint

Bleeding is diffent, Slave to leaver it the way as per normal Maguras but you stop there with syringe still in place and some fluid water only on this system by the way, you place in top cap and then wind on the adjsuted

It's a pimp setup. Let me know if you want my leaver

do you mean that you have a discbrakelever on your hs33-system?

Is there something special about that lever that makes it work?

Yes

Hope Sport C2

Yes it's a C2 so closed, 10mm piston, all CNC, new seals, water only or it wont work, fits a std magura barb fitting no mods needed just to seal it with an o-ring

I no longer use the leaver but if you want it let me know

Edit: Seams inclear to you what i'm saying or offering you here so here are the pics. Please excuse the Goodrdige hose a si got bord of my Magura stuff so fitted this

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Wright Pads

Yes

Hope Sport C2

Yes it's a C2 so closed, 10mm piston, all CNC, new seals, water only or it wont work, fits a std magura barb fitting no mods needed just to seal it with an o-ring

I no longer use the leaver but if you want it let me know

Edit: Seams inclear to you what i'm saying or offering you here so here are the pics. Please excuse the Goodrdige hose a si got bord of my Magura stuff so fitted this

if that works then a giant mph lever should work too as they are both virtually the same, and work on the same technology

I used exactly the same hope lever on my maggie and had bad results. I found the 10mm piston just too small, you had to set your pads soooo close to the rim that even the slightest buckle would make it rub, plus the fact that it was spongyer than a chocolate cake even with a booster or two.

I would either get a longer bolt with a nut on the end or (prefrebly) get an 04 maggie lever