Stolen Bikes

Littleharrys

I have heard of so many bikes being stolen recently. Alot of them in portsmouth.

I have lived down here at uni for a few years now. Portsmouth has a massive bike theft rate. I still hear the same story, "I only left it for 10 or 20 minutes, if that" "I just popped into the shop"

Get a cheap bike to ride to the shops, if it gets stolen, who cares?

Look guys, most trials riders have nice bikes theres alot of money in them, doesnt matter where you are never leave your bike even with two locks on it. It only takes 2 minutes to steal it.

Get it marked with your postcode and name with a UV perenant marker, if it is found you can prove its yours!!

Don't ever leave your bike!!!!!

I know it sounds silly but use your head guys. Never leave your bike. It should be between yours legs or locked up in your garage/house.

It sounds expensive, but get it insured, most household policys will cover it to at least 500 if not a grand.

I know you'll all say it obvious but the bikes are still getting stolen so . . . .

H

I hear that.

And If you HAVE to go into a sop when you have it, take the bike in the shop.

If they dont let you, then just say "well Ill take my business elsewhere".

I have yet o find a shop that hasnt let me take my bike in while buying stuff from them.

You can post topic after topic after topic about this but some people just wont listen, they always think 'oh it wont happen to me'

I learnt when i almost got my Pace nicked when i made the silly mistake of leaving it outside a shop, managed to put up a chase and got it back along with a bruised face and bust nose :$

At the end of the day if they are silly enough to leave it outside the shop they deserve it nicking, and yes that goes for me when i did it, never leave it unattended these days

Frooty

Yes so many bikes are being stolen and your right none of the riders are listening. This is not going to get prevented if you go to either the shop, Mates house where the bikes left on its own on garden etc and if your on a ride i find that, When we see a shop everyone dives into the shop to get food and drink and everyone seems to think someone will keep an eye on bikes but everyone just rushes into the shop with the bikes left on their own.

My friend has had his bike stolen for the last 5 months from his back garden and now someone in our area is selling it on Ebay. He has phoned the Police and should be able to get back even though since his bike got stolen he stopped riding and became a full time CHAV! So i'm trying to get him back into riding if and when he does get it back.

So don't bid on Ebay on a blue Mission Prodigy with blue Maggies please.

Cheers Aaron (Y)

Get a lock which covers you for £1000 or something. Might cost you £30+ but its worth it.

I see (expensive) bikes around uni with £2 locks on all the time and think whats the point.. if your going to leave it somewhere, theres no point in locking it up with something a pair of plyers can get through.

Saying that in amsterdam I saw an inch thick cable lock lying on the ground cut clean in half. So get a D lock, that'd be my advice.

i never leave my bike anywhere! after people tryed to steal my BMX 3 times i learnt the hard way watching some willy ride up the road on your bike while looking out your gf's bedroom window :angry: got a good kick in though :Plol

i would never leave my bike anywhere if your going out on your own then you know you are in advance! either ride a different bike (my dads cheepo rayleigh massif :P) or get your mate to stand outside and look over your bike

You can get your bike(s) insured seperately on your home insurance. ive got my trials bike insured for £1500, and thats out of the house, so if its stolen when im out on it, its covered, i dont have to worry about lying that it was taken from my house. Also you can add multiple bikes to this policy, i have a street/dirt bike that i built for my girlfriend and thats insured in the same way but for a slightly lesser amount.

Also, im planning on getting a Kona Coiler this year, and if i do (fingers crossed) i can just add that to the insurance for its cost, you pay an extra amount per year, but its per bike...

I'd rather pay an extra £20,£50 or whatever it is a year to know that im my bikes nicked its no worries.

Having said that i stil would never ever leave it anywhere even if it was locked up.

Like the man above says - insure it seperately, household insurance is ok but tends to be a bit stingy on the amounts you can insure for.

Your best best is a decent lock and seperate insurance - I've got a facking great chain with quarter inch thick metal on the links and a monster padlock (d-locks have nothing on this one) but even that's not going to stop a professional bike thief - nothing will.

If you have a friend who needs a wake-up call about leaving his bike outside of shops.....follow him and nick it while he's not looking, ride round the block for 5 min, then give him it back! (to stop him freaking out!)

Yeah` that sounds harsh, but now he knows better!

Don't worry, he's a big boy, he can take it...........cruel to be kind etc!

I'm a believer in insuring your bike. I've got insurance on my trials bike and have done ever since hearing that Dave Cleaver (tartybikes dave) had his trials bike nicked in the first year at loughborough. Also i invested in a decent D-Lock (with a proper key not one of those round biro hackable ones), so hopefully it should never get nicked, but if it does i'm covered. The money i pay each year is something i see as a small price to pay compared to loosing the bike i've spent years and large amounts of hard earned money getting to how i want.

My bike has never been left locked up anywhere, it always lives either in a garage or my room at uni. Its also insured for about a grand under my parents house insurance although i think i need to update that. A simple way of proving a bike is yours is by simply taking down the serial number, most insurers will want that from you anyway. Only problem with that is Zoo's don't have a serial number and i'm guessing thats probably true of the other deng brands too :rolleyes:

Edited by tipsy Jock

Always take a D-Lock to the shop on your handle bars. Endure the smacking of your left knee on the d lock as it is better than the loss of your £1000 bike. (Y)

Knee replacement might cost you a bit though :P

Yea, it might cost you a bit but go down to your local halfrauds and buy one of them magnum locks that has a theft guarentee thing, depending on what one you get you can claim a certain amount off them if it gets cut in half.

The biro trick doesnt work with D locks now, they have changed the key way to there is a small notch. Kryptonite changed their design completely because of the biro problem. If i need to go into a shop either I take it in or get a mate to wait out side.

As long as thye cover the bike whilst it is out of the house also then there as good as anyone to go with. Im pretty sure if you want to insure it for over £1000 then you'll have to get it added and pay a little extra.

i used ot have mine insured with more than, they're good but very expensive, but they only charge so much for house insurance due to me having a lot of musicial equipment, if the main big money items were just bikes then they should be pretty reasonable! Norwhich Union also have a fairlly good policy on insuring the bike soutside the home.

Give a load of companies a call and tell theme xactly what YOU need them to do and see if there willing to oblidge!

Also if you have QR's, make sure you lock up both wheels to the frame, and then to whatever. Because the twats will take the bike and leave you the front wheel locked up...

...still got it in my garage. <_<

Also remember to take your QR squewers with you if there hope or they might just take them even if the wheels are locked up.

Good to see some of you are listening, oh and i like the take your mates bike round the corner trick, might make him think next time!!!!

I wouldnt praise D locks at all.

They are excesivley easy to break in to.

Most of them can be opened with a Biro Lid.........

thats only the cheap ones.

better ones require a 2 foot scaffolding pole and roughly 20 seconds of pasty giving.

the more money you spend the longer it takes to open but none of them will stop an expert

Get a cheap bike to ride to the shops, if it gets stolen, who cares?

YES thanks god im not the only one!

I have an apollo something called "bob" its so unappealing its hilarious I might post a picture in a bit but honestly, just buy a shitty cheap thing for £40 and use that

I also reccommend not locking it up on a main street. Find an alleyway or somewhere out of the way where no body will go. I do this, even if Im going into the shop for 20 mins (Y)