Check Out My Bashguard

fubarpatsharp

Hi, ive machined my old beaten up middleburn bashguard for my college project!!!

The weight reduction was only 60 grams :( but better than 226 grams

Now im half way through writing my report for it and tght that it would be good if i good feedback from trials riders of there opinions of my design of it etc.

So please leave messages of what u guys think of it (keep it real)

Cheers

IPB Image

IPB Image

nice job, i did a few at work like that till i got caught lol,

just out of interest how did you hold the bash, did you make a mandrel to fit the bore, or did you grip on the knurled part, as you havnt machinined there?

what sort of lathe did you use?

ash

Looks like a better finish than most lathe's (i've used) wasit cnc machined or did you polish it up afterwards?

Looks smashing chap but ......Lathes? CNC? how about big ass hilti drill and a vice ;) ..........

EDIT; ok , wheres the damn picture i uploaded :( its saying something about not enough 'global space' what the hell is that all aboot?!

Edited by TomNewbold

Looking at the picture of the bashring fitted onto your bike, could you not have machined the bashring to a smaller diameter (it looks like you could easily fit a larger chain ring with the bashring still protecting it)?

Or maybe it's a bad idea to have a really small bashring?

cheers for the replies fella's

my idea was to increase pimpness without making it weaker to land on (im right footed) so having larger holes where i dont land and small (less likly to crack) where i land.

cos i use a single speed tensoiner sometimes the chain tension is ruined by bashguarding as the chain gets hit on the wall, so i went down a chain ring size and only took as much as needed off the bashguard to stop this happing cos it was well annoying.

i done this at college with an old lathe and millling machine with a turning table on it.

sadly they didnt have a straight knurl at college as i prefer straight to 45 degrees.

afterwards i polished it longtime, with 1500grit wet and dry paper for like half an hour then polished it with a mini polishin tool and autosol polishing paste stuff for metals.

hopefully this answers everyones questions (Y)

Everyone loves pictures :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

obviously not reet good aat turning then are you lol

ash

:rolleyes:

Maybe, but at least I can determine how a surface finish was achieved....(and spell)

afterwards i polished it longtime , with 1500grit wet and dry paper for like half an hour then polished it with a mini polishin tool and autosol polishing paste stuff for metals.

hopefully this answers everyones questions (Y)

Like I said better than any lathes 'ive used,' any that I have used, are most likely older than you and I put together, and doubled.

yeah the laths at college are well old proberly 20 years oldish.

Its pretty damn hard to turn a mirror finish with college equipment as the cutting aint expensive and new

Ive got a almost brand new middlebrun bashguard for sale that i used on my bike while i was doing my old one if anyone wants it??? silver and landed on it once!!! its well mint condition