Is Power Everything

lankyri

ok your opinion on this when we ride do you think it is more power or technique i know that obviously you need technique for some moves but power will also get you the same height or width

for example i am more of a powerful rider than technique

my friend gav (mad_gavo on here) is more technique

static hops i can usually gap around 6-7ft on a good day but if i but power into it i.e do a wheeliehop than and then gap straight after i gap i can gap that extra couple of inches

whats your opinion

cheers ric

power is not everything

look at chris boyes (sp?)

he has no power at all, but plenty of technique and he kicks ass at comps and riding in general. Of course the perfect combo is power and technique. but if I were to choose one, I would go for technique anyday.

static hops i can usually gap around 6-7ft on a good day but if i but power into it i.e do a wheeliehop than and then gap straight after i gap i can gap that extra couple of inches

Is that not a technique though really? Surely a powerful rider is one that can do large static hops in the first place e.g. Tunni and CLS. Everybody can gap further if they use that technique.

Power has it's uses , but my money's on timing , balance , smoothness . B) I suspect Sir Martyn of Ashton relied heavily on power early on in his career , and has recently focused increasingly upon technique .

how to do a back flip and break your neck technique :P

power is always good but techique plays just as bigger part (Y)

ok your opinion on this when we ride do you think it is more power or technique i know that obviously you need technique for some moves but power will also get you the same height or width

for example i am more of a powerful rider than technique

my friend gav (mad_gavo on here) is more technique

whats your opinion

cheers ric

Without power you have no technique, and without technique you can't get power B)

You have to have both, theres no way to do a big gap with out a good technique, but you still need power to pull it off!!! what i'm talking about really is you need technique to control the power.. one of the hardest moves is rockring to back wheel.. you need loads of power and a sharp technique, you can't pick one or the other :huh:

You bring up the wheeliehop, thats a technique used to get over large gaps and make it look really easy.. i use it all the time and know loads of people that can't do it because they can't get the timing right :blink: why????????? because they don't have the power or the technique ;)

Simple.

I mostly agree with that but do you not find that once you've got a technique down you don't need the power anymore.

Pigeons are a prime example of this for me, I used to have to really yank on the bike and hop really hard to get up stuff by pigeoning but as I get better at it I need to put less power in to get a up a given obstacle.

In all, good technique will win because you're using the power you have more efficiently.

Hurling yourself at stuff with reckless abandon and loads of power is a lot more fun than poncing around it though.

I mostly agree with that but do you not find that once you've got a technique down you don't need the power anymore.

Pigeons are a prime example of this for me, I used to have to really yank on the bike and hop really hard to get up stuff by pigeoning but as I get better at it I need to put less power in to get a up a given obstacle.

In all, good technique will win because you're using the power you have more efficiently.

Hurling yourself at stuff with reckless abandon and loads of power is a lot more fun than poncing around it though.

I think the right way to put it is, the better your technique, the more power you can use :closedeyes:

And not all power comes from strength :closedeyes:

F#ck me that almost sound like wisdom :shifty:

how to do a back flip and break your neck technique :P

Bitchy mofo... :P

Ofcourse power isnt everything, trials isnt one of those sports where you can become the best by doing lots of training outside of the sport. Most trials experts are experts because they ride a helluva lot and want to better themselves

Power definately helps but is not 'the key' to trials

I figure if you hit something hard enough you're certain to either go over it or through it so power is clearly where it's at. (Y)(Y)

:lol: i got to agree with that one, think about tapping, hit it harder and faster you go higher. but you would be no where without a bit of technique

25% power

25% technique

50% mentallity (Y)

you have to be mentally "into" the sport to be a good rider. you have to pysically see yourself pulling stuff off with a certain technique and a certain amount of power, then try to immatate it FULLY or as best as you can.

Orrrrrrr.... TRY to think of the mind of a really good rider (slinger) and pretend you are him, and try to think what would be going through his mind when riding, and thinking what he would be thinking when doing moves.

I can do it, and it helps (Y)

Other people cant, and it doesnt help :P

i love that kind of competition i always do it with mates for example see how close we can get to the wall and still wheeliehop up it or gradually hop up a wall different ways it makes a ride such more fun when your in a competition with a mate

as ive broken my bike (snapped axle) i will be in the gym for a few weeks or so, so hopefully i can that little extra bit of strength in me :)

keep up the replies guys making this topic interesting