Just Thought Some Might Like To See This

Simon

With the seemingly zero updates on Trials-Shack, and i wont lie, there hasn't been any, i thought you might like to see what is planned for v3.

I must stress, this isn't complete, as there are errors, additions and modifications that need to be done, but unless a company actually shows some interest, doubt i'll really finish it to the standard i want.

Version Three Brief (pdf)

If i see any of the ideas i've done here on any other site after this point, i'll rip your bollocks off. :)

So yeah, not really sure why i'm posting this, but its partly because it took ages to do, and its annoying to only have 3 or 4 people read it.

So er, yeah, comment, ignore, slate, discuss any ideas, what ever.

You also said "Porpoise" instead of "Purpose" at one point. I'll let you find that though ;)

Nah, if I have a mo' I'll read it. You seemed pretty...um...'stoked' when you finished it, so maybe I ought to read through it.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+brief

Big gay. :P

snappel, good point. I've always switched between "me", "we" and "I", which is one of the corrections i wanted to make, but now can't be assed as their really isn't any point. :P

thats more writing, i cant be doing with this writing no more... ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I read it, cause im sad. But anywhooo, i like the 700mb restrictions.., i also like the search ideas :P

I like the FTP idea, but some of the new users may not know how to use it, so it may take a while to explain... but otherwise all good!

From Lee

Edited by radical rider

FTP idea? You mean the one that is being used at the moment, and has been used ever since the creation of Trials-Shack? :-

Should have some new features in a week or two, some quite nice, others just rounding off some edges.

No reason.

Well, the reason i did it, was for myself at the start, as i honestly kept forgetting all the features i wanted to code, and i kept coding stuff in the wrong order so nothing interlocked and worked together, or could work at all as it required another feature to be finished first. I also did it for prospecting sponsors, hence tarted it up, but lost interest and can't be bothered to finish it.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the ideas and plans. You've refered a few times to ajax and what not, with the uploaders etc, which sounds nice!

Personally I have little interest in backend code, but a huuuuuge interest in interactivity and how the user interfaces with sites. Beyond planning the core workings it'll be nice to see some real user friendly aproaches, and typefacing. I've spent the past 2-3 months studing typefacing in print and digital media etc - it's quite a cool topic.

Sounds like you have an uber clear idea of what your doing with the site anyway which is always good.

oh the only last point is it could be very cool to employ the rather more radical aproach of homepage displa;, logged in and logged out users getting a different homepage (since - logically their function is utterly different)... verymuch like www.flickr.com does brilliantly!

I'll finish off nicely, by saying ... "it looks very web 2.0" ;) hehe

PS: I really hope thats for coursework :P

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the Archives is a very good idea, I think for the exemption side of it the 'application form' would be a better solution as oposed to a fee for the multi national sites videos who are releasing videos on a regular basis.

Possibly a fee from your regular trials rider who would want their video exempt from the archive? (If there was no other solution that is) otherwise you may up with loads of application forms from people who want their video/s exempt from the archives.

Also the 'easy eye' links is good, as if you need to give someone a link for example the URL isn't 4 lines long, and just puts the finishing touches to the website overall really.

All in all I think you have written your idea's very clearly and alot of of thaught/time has gone into trials-shack and you are doing a great job with it (Y)

Dan.

Edited by Danno

If i see any of the ideas i've done here on any other site after this point, i'll rip your bollocks off. :)

That's not very web friendly, what happened to open source, the GNU and a free internet for all? That compounds the fact that alot aren't your ideas anyway, you've just cobbled together from other websites. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that as the best coding is adaptive coding (but you probably knew that already) but don't lie and slap copyright notices here there and everywhere.

To cite but a few of your 'ideas i've done here':

Video Screenshots - youtube

Fullsize image preview - same code ebuyer use

Tagging - youtube/blogging software

In fact, in the previous thread about trials-shack (why there are now several on this subforum I do not know, I suggested RSS feeds, which you, from the look of this, you had already thinking of. Why? Because most of what your describing are web standards, again there's nothing wrong with that. Just be aware thats not called originality, just novelty.

Also becareful when using literal AJaX (I presume you're not referring to literary ajax), as you point out it relies on JavaScript which may be disabled or not fully supported in some browsers.

LESS TALK, MORE DO.

Edited by sfboy

I never said they were all original. I know they are not. I was more covering myself for some of the other features which i have yet to find exist, like the image gallery managing stuff, and the whole site as a whole, rather then individual sections of it.

Here there and everywhere? I only said it once at the start of this thread, and once in the document, mainly because the document was going to be in an e-mail or only companies would download it, and therefore not see this thread, not to mention the thousand kiddies that will save the file, change the logo, then blag it as their own.

By the way, the eBuyer thing. Lightbox is a free downloadable script, and i downloaded it from there, not eBuyer. It was going to be a quick fix, but time got away from me.

Which leads me onto what most have been saying. I have very little time at the moment. Coding 10-6 sort of drains your motivation to come home and code for another 5 or 6 hours again. The features will come, just in time. If i start on a feature however, i'll finish it, much like video screenshots only too around 3 or 4 days to completely finish and have live. I did start on web uploading, but it turns out the vital PHP patch i need for it to work, doesn't support my version of PHP, so i need to look into that more.

Jake, i did this ages ago, and stopped doing it ages ago too. :P

Alexx, thats the idea. The final plan is so users can completely customize how their Trials-Shack home page looks, like in what order information is displayed (when more features are displayed on homepage, it'll seem more useful then it will currently), including important stuff like the web upload form there, etc etc etc.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to post this. :lol: