Fresh Products Lever

JT!

Had plenty of rides on it now so I’d thought I’d pop up a quick review.

First of all, extremely quick postage, couldn't have got with me any quicker. Took it out of the package, and straight away saw a small brassy bit (like a washer where the bolt goes though to attach to the lever body) drop off the lever and bounced under my bed. Watch out of that.

It really is well made, and as soon as I got it attached it made the actual Magura lever body look cheap and shit.

The adjust on this really is spot on, it's so simple it's a wonder Magura have these complicated red twisty things. There’s no chance of it braking at all, there's nothing that can go wrong with it. You don’t have to stand there spinning the dial of what seems like a lifetime like you do with the 04 Magura lever aswell.

Because the leaver is longer, you have to re-adjust your brake. You need to move the leaver body inwards by quite a bit, and if your like me (pads set very close to the rim so there’s little adjustment on the adjuster) you might need to set the actual brake closer to the rim. Mind you in saying that I was going to do the same thing with when I had my old leaver on anyway, just never got round to doing it. What I also noticed is that the leaver reach is insane, I have very large hands and I had to use the reach adjuster to bring it in by quite a bit, don't be afraid to use the reach adjust to get it exactly how you like it.

Because of the very different shape of the leaver, it feels very different. Feels generally more butch and manly. ;) The big flick on the end of the lever is feels so much more secure, on these hot summer days your defiantly not going to loose your finger off the end due to sweaty finger braking, much safer.

The extra length does increase the power of braking. And it is somewhat noticeable, especially working your way up rocks and things like that. However, because of it's extra length it does accentuate the brakes sponginess, and to be honest I don't really care, you get used to the slight (and I mean slight) sponginess anyway, it’s worth it for the extra power.

The only other 'problem' (if you can call it that) is that because of the different leaver shape, it rubs on parts of your finger that aren’t used to braking, so you start to get blisters etc again, just like when you first started riding, ahhhh the memories. So maybe taking your gloves with you would be a good idea for a few weeks until your skin can get used to it.

As for value for money, it’s a lot like buying an ENO freewheel, seems quite pricey, and you can get away with a cheaper alternative, but you do get quality for you money. It’s a hell of a lot better value than the new leavers that HoD has brought out (see tartybikes). They are about the same price inc postage, and have no adjusting mechanism!

As for going out and buying one now, if your sick of your TPA being generally shite, or not working at all, want to get a bit more power out of your bike, or just like the better things in life, go for one. The only thing we can really ‘feel’ our bike with when riding is our hands. As you may know, altering the grips on a bike can completely change the feel of it and how it handles, when you’ve been riding with gloves, and then you take them off, your bike feels much more controllable and feels more flickable, same goes with this leaver.

[attachmentid=5144][attachmentid=5145][attachmentid=5146]

post-4715-1149567173_thumb.jpg

post-4715-1149567229_thumb.jpg

post-4715-1149567239_thumb.jpg

Edited by JT!

Nice review JT, I h ave very similar feelings about the lever as you. The spongyness can be forgoteen instantly with the increased comfort of the lever. I smacked mine down on a wall yesterday and it didnt zero damage to it. I am impressed. Well worth 28 squid.

Good review, My mate just brought himself 1 of those aswel it feels so much nicer and is so much easier to work with especially as i only use 1 finger for braking

Oz

Edited by EchoOz

Hmm, 28 quid you say. That's a 1/3rd of a weeks wages, might be worth it though. Can you adjust the lever reach? Like using the small grub screw in the normal Magura blade.

Looks like it, there seems to be a little silver bit where the normal adjuters are (Y)

Can you adjust the lever reach? Like using the small grub screw in the normal Magura blade.

What I also noticed is that the leaver reach is insane, I have very large hands and I had to use the reach adjuster to bring it in by quite a bit, don't be afraid to use the reach adjust to get it exactly how you like it.

(Y)

Edited by JT!

I want one. I also want it to fit my 05 maggie. And I want £28!

Are there any longer lever blades out there for the 05/06 versions? All the ones I've seen are for pre 05.

Nice review too.

And don't ask why I'm up so late/early because I don't know!

Alun

Nice review, Jonothan! (Y) And by the looks of it, its a very nice lever.

However, I want to know if they are being made for 05 levers? Because, just bought an 05 brake/lever (and im not just about to get rid of it, to get an 04 lever) :P . I'll have to bring Todge up on that point!!

Cheers,

Joe.

Are there any longer lever blades out there for the 05/06 versions? All the ones I've seen are for pre 05.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Jun 8 2006, 08:00 AM)

However, I want to know if they are being made for 05 levers? Because, just bought an 05 brake/lever (and im not just about to get rid of it, to get an 04 lever) :P . I'll have to bring Todge up on that point!!

Your both going to have to make do with these.

But me personally prefers the zoo ones, because there are avaliable ina range of colours.

So you prefer colour over design and how it works?

So you prefer colour over design and how it works?

Yeah, and in my opinion, different coloured levers (save black or silver) is a bit over the top and looks a bit tacky...

Cheers,

Joe.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Jun 8 2006, 07:45 PM)

Yeah, and in my opinion, different coloured levers (save black or silver) is a bit over the top and looks a bit tacky...

Cheers,

Joe.

I'm with you on that one, all this anodized green shit. I'm not in to it at all ... black, silver is just good enough. Then you can't moan that your sick of your colours on your bike and want to change it to another colour like blue, red etc. Black, silver is the way forward.

None of this anodized shit, especialy when your bike is coverd in it.