Keeping Bikes At Uni

toxicturky

I'm off to uni in september and my flat is in the middle of the city, great, however, apparently they go apeshit if they find a bike in any of the corridors, has anyone had any problems with this or have any tips? would it be alright in me room? i don't fancy keeping the bike in the sheds outside as my mate has his stolen a few months back while he was at uni

Mark.

Yeah they don't like them in corridors because its a fire hazard, but I kept my trials bike and bmx in my room at uni and no one said anything. I know Boon kept two bikes in his room too and mafu26 always kept his bike in his room with no probs! This was the same halls at leeds uni though :)

I know of loads of other poeple that kept bike in halls too

I would not keep a half decent bike in 99% of the uni cycle sheds i have seen. Also if you are planning on riding to uni, buy/steal a cheap shit hack bike and keep that in the cycle sheds!

I kept my trials bike in my room in halls at uni (Manchester). They never even came into my room so there's no way they could have known. I say go for it, if people have random room checks or something, hide it under the bed. The other thing is it will only be for 1 year in halls, after that most people get a proper house/flat and there won't be the same restrictions.

We were'nt allowed bikes also, we had to sneak through security, & up the stairs....13 flights of stairs, as the lifts were directly outside the domestic bursar's office..t'was worth it though...lol.

They never found mine..I just had to move it around on cleaning day..

We werent allowed them either. Kept mine in my room. Cleaners always saw me taking it in and out, but making them a cup of tea and having a chat every now and then keeps them sweet. Locked it to the fence outside when my room was about to be inspected :)

Yeah, I'm heading off to South Bank, and the rules say "no bikes". They expect me to lock both my bikes to some crappy metal semi-circle type bike rack, that's totally un-covered? Not going to happen. I think I'm just going to take my BMX down for the first few weeks/months, see how it goes, then introduce el trials bike. They're definitely going in the room though, no joke...

take a cheap bike for the first few weeks, until term has settled in and you know the routine.

Trust me, most bike crime is in the first week of term. pikeys know there are going to be a lot of nice bikes around. trust me, i know- i had 2 nicked in the first week as someone came round with bolt cuters and a pickup! (20+ bikes nicked in one night).

I then kept my replacement bike in my room for the rest of term, and it was fine.

am planning to follow this at pompey, cheap bike to keep in bike lockup and bring trials bike later once i know where i can safely keep it!

I kept mine at uni, halls for 1st year and then inside houses for other years

No way I was gonna leave it outside, but most uni's dont expect people to bring an expensive bike I guess. One of guys I knew kept a dirt bike and a bmx in his tiny room all year 2, we all got a bit of grief time 2 time, just moved it out for inspections etc

Just make a point that u wont be using the outside facilities until they make adequate security improvements, which they wont be arsed 2 do :lol:

M@

Realistically, are you going to give up biking because of the potential for getting shouted at - I should hope not..christ, they don't complain if you have a gangbang in your room, they'd probably encourage it; so as long as it does'nt pose a hazard to others, I don't see why they fuss.

At our uni, we lived in an 18-storey block of flats, Priory Hall in Coventry; my mates threw numerous chipped phones, a television (the noise was incredible at 3am..lol), countless oranges & yogurts (daily basis) from the 13th floor over the course of the year, and suprisingly, no-one ever complained - so I've never understood why people get their knickers in a twist over a bloody bike..

Derv

my halls in london were also "no bikes".....kept it under my bed for a while...then thought feck that...just put it in the corner...

then i realised my room was proper small, so i bought a decent lock on ebay and put it in the secure bike cage thing on campus (20 min walk)...

if i was riding early the next day i'd bring it back (Y)

no-one ever noticed :)

adam