Drilling Holes In Frames

mutiny666

me and my mate have just both drilled 104 12mm hiles in our frames to get our wieghts right down we are both very smooth riders and im just woundering if anyone else has done this before my mate rides a t rex noew shape and im currently on the p-x zebidi cos its lighter than the t rex and im upgrading soon to the koxx casio pro model as its lighter again but does anyone know or have heard of anyone else drilling frames out

12mm???? :o

The only way you won't snap that is by never riding it again.

we ahve been riding the frames for 2 months with the hole in doing various 10ft+ drops and gaps we have had no signs of cracking or bending at any points on the frames

me and my mate have just both drilled 104 12mm hiles in our frames t

we ahve been riding the frames for 2 months with the hole in doing various 10ft+ drops and gaps we have had no signs of cracking or bending at any points on the frames

Since when has, ''We have JUST drilled holes'' meant 2months ago.

My old echo had 2 big holes in the headtube what i drilled :)

Made it sooooo much lighter ;)

we have 40 holes in the down tube 20 either side 30 in the top tube 3 in the head tube 3 in the cnc yoke 1 in the top tube seat tube gusset and 27 through the seat tube lol its saved loads a weight and hasnt seemed to affect the overall strength well not yet any way but im not too arsed anyway cos im getting the koxx cacio at the end of the month but im not gonna build it till i either crack or snap this one lol

we have 40 holes in the down tube

40 holes of 12mm

40 X 12 = 480 = 48 cm.........

the downtube on my bike is 57cm (a long echo control so id expect a street frame to be shorter....)

that means yo uuhave about 9cm of undrilled down tube

9 / 40 = 0.225cm in between each hole......... ???

:shifty:

40 holes of 12mm

40 X 12 = 480 = 48 cm.........

the downtube on my bike is 57cm (a long echo control so id expect a street frame to be shorter....)

that means yo uuhave about 9cm of undrilled down tube

9 / 40 = 0.225cm in between each hole......... ???

:shifty:

na its 20 holes on each side with an inch between the centres of each hole

I really think that you shouldn't have done that. It may not seem like it but that will really have an affect on the strength of the frame. Just goes to show how we are becoming obsessed with weight and making things light, this shouldn't be the case as there are alot of people who can chuck around heavier bikes just because they have learnt how to do stuff and not made things lighter so they think they perform better.

Edited by thwaites14

You may not think its showing signs of being weaker but with soo many holes in it, the bike is going to flex like f**k and therefore you are going to loose some of your power from gapping and anything else that needs to use some effort. With this flex its gunna bend back and forth and therefore weaken everytime you do anything. Imagine it as a piece of plastic or summot you bend it back and forwards till it snaps, I know it wont flex to that extreme but it is still a seriously poor idea to be drilling your frame so much.

thats the most rediculous things i've heard, i'm glad there's a validating system now.. so rubbish like this doesn't get put in the main forum. If itou should have posed some pics of the frame and you riding it to back up your points.. unless yo do this it has been a waste of your time and ours.

Maybe you should drill some holes in your tyres then tend to be quite heavy ;)