Wow?! ....maybe?

aener

Right... Just got another snakebite and decided it's high time for a new tube.

I've done a search, and it's not here yet, but what about these?

Linky

Anyone tried them? And are they any good for trials?

I know they more than probably won't hold out against a pinch - but there's a lot of thorns and glass around aswell...

Either get one of these, or a normal tube with slime lining... Your help please :P

Quick answers would be handy as I want to get riding soon...

Cheers

Flipp

they look pretty good, but i don't think that 'slime' etc can stop snakies because the air comes out too fast, (correct me if i'm wrong people), i use the maxxis downhill tubes, they are very good/thick but not that heavy, you can buy them from

tartybikes and chainreactioncycles

if you ride with maxxis high roller tyres apparently they are really gud at resisting pinches.

also i ride with a harder tyre so i reduce the risk of pinches.lol.

:ban: punctures

i used to sell slime at the shop i worked at.. and it only seemed to be good for little thorns and stuff, but all it does is cover it up temporarily so i wouldnt rely on it.. it wont stop snake bites though mate.. personally i would just go for the usual tubes.. i have heard good things about these and for a fiver you cant go wrong :)

i used to sell slime at the shop i worked at.. and it only seemed to be good for little thorns and stuff, but all it does is cover it up temporarily so i wouldnt rely on it.. it wont stop snake bites though mate.. personally i would just go for the usual tubes.. i have heard good things about these and for a fiver you cant go wrong :)

There shocking, really.

Just use standard Specialized ones or whatever, do the job.

Mat

Thankish everyone, will just get the £5 job...

You've succesfully put me off slime :P

I'll just run 'em a bit harder and ride smoother ^_^

Thats the way forward! Like said above slime is temporary and will wear out fast doing trials. Running at a lower pressure and trying to ride smoother will benefit your riding to i geuss!:)

go down to your local wilco's tubes are like 1.95

and just ride oober smooth like moi :Plol

ive run pikey tubes they go quite often but cheap an easy enough to swapp

but ill run a beasty 12quid maxxis hefty tube on a big ride cos a pain in the

anus to swap tubes in the middle of london

I have one in my rear wheel.

It works.

Got up one day to find that it was flat, pumped it up to 60 psi. Spun the wheel. And let it down to what i wanted, and it's been fine since.

They weigh twice as much as a standard innertube, but i think it's worth it.

Thickness of innertube isn't going to make a difference. Not when your putting your full bodyweight, plus whatever momentum you have squashing your innertube between your rim and the surface. Having a 1.1 mm is going to peform the same as a 1.2mm innertube.

Edited by JT!

Thankish everyone, will just get the £5 job...

You've succesfully put me off slime :P

I'll just run 'em a bit harder and ride smoother ^_^

noooo run less, why is it that when people get snake bites, they think...ahh ill put more pressure in them. LET THEM DOWN, i ride stock, and i have 22 psi in my tires. and still havent pinch flatted...EVER!

noooo run less, why is it that when people get snake bites, they think...ahh ill put more pressure in them. LET THEM DOWN, i ride stock, and i have 22 psi in my tires. and still havent pinch flatted...EVER!

you ran an intense blurr and now a maxxis minion, funking thick ass tyres :P but yeah, ive found running lower pressures has led to less punctures for me, maybe because i have gotten smoother? but i also never had a pinch on those tyres either, funking awesome things :)

Heres a tip before putting the tube in, get some "talc un powder" and put shed loads of it in side the tire. Or better still unload the tub of talc un powder in a plastic bag then drop the tube in and give it a good shack. You can save the spare powder for next time.

Also make sure there is no thorns inside the tire, No spokes are sticking out in to the tube and there is a good amount of rim tap.

good luck

Heres a tip before putting the tube in, get some "talc un powder" and put shed loads of it in side the tire. Or better still unload the tub of talc un powder in a plastic bag then drop the tube in and give it a good shack. You can save the spare powder for next time.

talc un powder? :P Or does you mean talcum powder :P

What does this do exactly? I never understand why its done on some tubes

Talcum or graphite powder is used in car tyres because of the amount of heat caused by friction between the tyre and tube, without it the two can vulcanize from the heat. This makes tube removal very difficult/destructive as fragments of tube get stuck to tyre casing. Bikes obviously don't produce anywhere near the amount of heat to vulcanize innertubes.

Talcum powder however does release the air faster when a puncture occurs, as a tube what gets stuck to the tyre casing will retain air after thorn penetration for example because the thorn plugs the casing hole leaving the tube hole with no outlet. This applies to 'snakebites' as well which is why sometimes if you land harsh the 'snakebite' doesn't occur till 10 minutes later for example. So talcum powder does prevent this, as it does stop the innertube sticking to the tyre casing.

I don't understand how it would help prevent a 'snakebite' though as an innertube inflated cannot move in the tyre, regardless of the use of talcum powder because no transitional forces exist and on top of that, the holding force between the tube and casing is large.

Talc prevents pinchflats happening because it allows the tube to slip out of folds in the tyre and not get stretched and torn when the tyre folds/squashes under impact (because it isn't dragged into the fold and stretched across the rim).

It's no guarantee against pinches but it's been pretty bloody effective in my experience

tyre + tube + no talc = lots of pinches

same tyre + same tube + talc = no pinches

I aint no expert or owt on getting rid of punchers. Putting tulcun or tulcum powder is just what i do. Loads of people do it. i remember reading a artical in MBR i think it was, and steve petes mechcanic did it to, so it must have some effect.

I always thought that when running tyres at low pressures your tyre would deform in all kinds of different shapes, and if your tube is sticking to the inside of the tyre. As the tyre gets forced in the and deforms around what every object you are landing on tube has to follow and if its sticking it is going to cause the tube to stretch in a very small localised area.

go on tarty bikes and get a proper trials inner tube. there alot thicker than standard tubes

yes but it dosent reali prevent 9 to 11 stone plus the bike weight landing on the egde of a drop gap etc, also i think the slime will not prevent snake bites!