Styles

weebryan

I have noticed varies styles through the years i always thought trials bikes were designed for a bike to go over a obstical without putting your feet down i.e like motorbike trials but now there is street style which includes spins manuals and other tricks which i always thought was a bmx thing? . I hope the sport dosent progress for showing of purposes and keeps it to its roots i.e what the bikes were designed for, anyways was wondering what the majority of the T-F think is the street style going too far?

its abit like bmx'ing you get street riders and ramp riders, just like you get street and natural riders in trials. I dont have a problem with anyone riding street but I think natural trials is where its at, more demanding and variation. I think we've come to the point where there isn't much variation in street riding, everyones riding rails and sidehopping walls, I just prefer the tech that you get from rocks and the like.

er.

i just ride bikes at stuff - i don't care what i'm riding or where i'm riding it, the fun bit is doing something silly on a bike. You adapt to the terrain and entertain yourself the best you can with what's available - otherwise you're not going to enjoy yourself are you ?

Stop categorising!!!

From the footage i've seen, Matt Staples sees no boundaries, he was riding street style at koxx days, on rocks. Chris ackrig is another who can ride natural in a stylish 'streety' manner.

Street style going too far is'nt called trials, it's BMX, flat land, or whatever you ant to call it, but people pulling x up's and manuals before they do a drop or sidehop is still trials riding........

Of course you can try and ride 'street' on anything but your only going to do it really well on a bike designed for the purpose, not some long loa and silver barge.....

time to leave work, f**k posting here

All bike sports blend nicely into the next bike sport.

Trials was originally competition based, and there will always be people doing that.

I find it odd that your complaining that trials has evolved into different areas. Oringinally, cycling was just a bike on the floor, and you pedal and go forwards, which (down one route) evolved to road cycling, then to MTBing, and to downhilling / freeriding and trials. Also, if motobiking didn't evolve into another style - trials, we woudn't be trialsing today.

Without different styles and evolution of bikesports, trials would not exsist today. Ergo, it's a good thing. ;)

You will be insulting people here that street riding is just for showing off, it's very ignorant.

Edited by JT!

i like riding anything.

i prefer the rush you get of fast flowy street riding as opposed to natural riding, but then again i like the feeling you get inside when you look at the section you just cleaned and think "blimey i just did that?!"

to be honest i am very open minded about stuff like this i dont "hate" other types of riding just because it isnt my cup of tea.

i guess it just annoys me the way some people are "strictly" one type of riding, hate any others because either they can't physicaly do it or just because its not what the bike is designed for or whatever.

I have noticed varies styles through the years i always thought trials bikes were designed for a bike to go over a obstical without putting your feet down

there's varied styles..all doing the same thing. this:

go over a obstical without putting your feet down

so where's the beef?

boring :sleeping:

I think riding should/can be creative.

I find it much easier to do a bigger variety of things on my bike in a street environment, mainly because I'm not much good at/don't really practise natural.

I still find it good to have simple goals like get from point A to B over obstacles on my bike, but without the more creative, inventive side of 'streety' riding I would get bored.

And of course that includes more than just X-ups and manuals, praiseworthy though they are.

Aaah, what I nice discution :) I seriously don't understand what there is to moan about.

Coming from a non trials back ground (street on mtb) , I used to find trials a bit boring because it's not verry rithymic nor flowy, thought I admired the balance and the good use of big wheels on the street, and of course the gaps. But then I discovered guys mixing things up, and I really think that's the path big wheel should take in a urban environement. I personally prefer riding and looking at someone who's just flowing but will probably never break anykind of record than someone side hopping 80"...

Edited by paolo

ok, so i ride as uci as i can, ny crankes have almost not a scrach, i train for comps, but i also like somethimes to give that litle stile to my riding with a manual after a pedal hop or after wheel swaping, a 270 drop off, keeping-it simple but sometimes you just need to do something that takes u off the routine of tapgapsidehoptapgapsidehoptapgapsidehop, not for showing off just for your pleasure

All bike sports blend nicely into the next bike sport.

JT is right, different disciplines do blend together. I watched ‘Shook: it’s on’ (bmx vid, check the little wheels thread for a download link, its awesome) yesterday and some of the lines on it were just as much trials lines as they were bmx lines. For example a bunnyhop to rail ride down a double kinked rail :o – which is …

go over a obstical without putting your feet down

Trials in my mind has never just been about that, it has also been about bike control too and the more ways you move your bike around and put it in different situations the better rider you will be.  its all good!!

(Although I can't remember the last time I rode any natural :lol: )

I remember riding shipley glen with you when you had just got leeson maybe that was it.