Calluses

abtrials

Yep, just ride more and they toughen up and get solid as hell. Mine never hurt anymore. If you wanna speed em up holding a lighter to them quicky works with ones on your fingertips from playing guitar, so dont see why it wouldnt on you palm, you just heat em up every now and then and it speeds up how fast they form.

I don't understand how cutting them off helps stop them being sore? Surley it just starts the whole process again, but on even softer skin than originally?

I ride gloveless, and they have never really been an issue with me, they are hard as f**k, and can be used as pin cushions but they have never really hurt too much, maybe only right after a long ride.

Moisturise (Y)

Although mine are pretty tough, at the beginning of the summer mine began to ache and would swell loads, they filled with blood and puss, so cutting them off with a scalpel helped, even under the entire callus the skin was still pretty tough so it wasn't like going back to soft skin, it just cut off the majourity of the thing that was causing the pain. Sometimes its good to re-grow em, you get the chance to have better ones second time round!

I find the best thing to do is to just let them grow. It will hurt in the short term, but just try to ride through it. Riding with no gloves always seems to work for me if i want to toughen the skin on my hands up pretty quickly. Just don't pick them off, only do that if you get a layer of dead skin on top, otherwise you are just picking the harder layers of skin off, leaving the softer ones.

I was told that soaking your hands in water helps, which it did seem to make them hurt less, but i ended up with a big water blister under one of them, so i wouldn't advise it.

While we are on the subject, does anyone ever get cracks forming under your nails where they join to your skin. I always seem to tear them and it is really painful, especially when i'm out on my bike. <_<

I think the thing about biting your hands is that it only works if you've had calluses for a long time. If they're new then the skin is soft and it's just growing a bit harder to protect itself, and you don't want to be cutting them off or anything.

But if you've had them for ages (months, years) then they just grow and grow, and then they crack and look funny (a bit yellow). They don't hurt though. And I have a bad habit of biting the tops off them. But if you've just started riding and you've got painful calluses, I wouldn't go cutting them or biting them, or even soaking them. You want them to grow, and then it'll stop being so painful.

When mine get big i use a old mach 3 razor blade and cut them down to size, never hurts since its just dead skin and you never go deep enough to cut, it cuts the off perfectly flush to the height of the rest of your skin. Try it out, first few strokes takes out big chunks but keeps going, they look shiney too!

Anyone get them on their indexes? I'm used to having them on on my palms and such because I have been riding for quite a while, but since I started riding trials (a couple months ago) I get some on my right index, right under where I pull on the lever, depending of the angle of my wrist, it can hurt really badly when squeezing the lever...

When mine get big i use a old mach 3 razor blade and cut them down to size, never hurts since its just dead skin and you never go deep enough to cut, it cuts the off perfectly flush to the height of the rest of your skin. Try it out, first few strokes takes out big chunks but keeps going, they look shiney too!

Thats what i do ... knife or anything else is crap the razor just smooths them of and makde them look normaly again !

Lads, lads, lads, lads, lads...

You never heard of doing things slowly and building up?

If you're hard, then yeah by all means go with the suggestions above. If you want the painless way, just ride less. Over time they'll harden then you can ride more and more without any problems.

Or equally just ride your bike more but just less so for trials - e.g. just riding to work every day and hopping up kerbs on the way in is enough to get some sort of hardened skin going. Gradually increase the amount of trials you do and Robert will be closely related to your mom.

Of course if the idea of toning down you riding is too much for you, you may just have to become a real man ;) Grin and bear it...

(I found different grips (ODI Ruffians (Y) )helped when I was riding without gloves, and smaller gloves are better if you are riding WITH gloves, because they fold less and there's less slippage and friction inside the glove)

Since I found a grip that suits me and stopped gripping the bars so hard I dont really have any probs with calusses anymore. I used to get massive horrible ones that itched and burned but now my skin is just a little tougher where they used to be. Maybe mine are super calusses now and they are tougher than diamonds?