The Mother Of All Rims

Glass

post-1103-1167477567_thumb.jpg

post-1103-1167477581_thumb.jpg

Probably been seen by some of you but I thought I'd share anyways. I been thinking of getting one of these for a while now though I'd probably do some serious drilling to shave down its 1050g weight (24"). No tyre flex ever again and I can only imagine how low you could go (pressure wise) on these babies!

Any thoughts? :shifty: And please don't tell me its too heavy cause DUH I know! LOL

My problem is the price tag £100 for the "heavy" version and £130 for the "light" one!!! :blink:

PS: They also make these in 26" version: 1150g (non CNC) and 1050g (CNC "lightweight").

post-1103-1167478096_thumb.jpg

They are 65mm wide and made by Surly. They're called the Large Marge

right got the word from god himself.

he got the dh rim and him and bigman drilled it down to 900g, it might fit a normal frame with the tensile mounts, pete said he had it in his coust frame

apparently the rim is for sale if you want it

pjalchemist@aol.com

Edited by Ben Cox

right got the word from god himself.

he got the dh rim and him and bigman drilled it down to 900g, it might fit a normal frame with the tensile mounts, pete said he had it in his coust frame

apparently the rim is for sale if you want it

pjalchemist@aol.com

If its a 24" one then yeah i would be interested.

True, more hassle then its worth imo mate.

Jason

I want a 65mm rim because of the stability (no tyre flex) and so I can run lower tyre pressures. I run 24" and the 24" rim is lighter so if the 1150g can be drilled down to 900g then I'm guessing the 24" could be brought down to 800g. That is still lighter than a non drilled Sun Doublewide which I used to use back in the day (no currently on a drilled BMF ~630g). I probably won't substitute my BMF permanantly but I'd like to explore other possibilities. Course I could also get a 47mm Kris Holm 24" Tryall lookalike rim instead of the large marge. There is also the wow factor to take into account i.e. it would blow me away to look at my bike with that rim on!

And so know you know WHY I want a to go silly wide, everyone satisfied? ;)

I want a 65mm rim because of the stability (no tyre flex) and so I can run lower tyre pressures. I run 24" and the 24" rim is lighter so if the 1150g can be drilled down to 900g then I'm guessing the 24" could be brought down to 800g. That is still lighter than a non drilled Sun Doublewide which I used to use back in the day (no currently on a drilled BMF ~630g). I probably won't substitute my BMF permanantly but I'd like to explore other possibilities. Course I could also get a 47mm Kris Holm 24" Tryall lookalike rim instead of the large marge. There is also the wow factor to take into account i.e. it would blow me away to look at my bike with that rim on!

And so know you know WHY I want a to go silly wide, everyone satisfied? ;)

hmm not really - why do you want low tyre pressures on a 24" ?

He doesn't ride a streety 24" If i remember right, he's running a 1100wb koxx levelboss with a rear disc and 24s. Even still 65mm is just excessive, go for the Chris holm rim. There exactly the same profile as the try-alls, but made of a tougher alloy. personally I still think 47mm is too wide, its just not really needed.

Pete Wright certainly did have one of those rims, it was a 26inch one, i drilled it for him, 2 rings of holes, i will try and get a picture.

In my oppinion 47mm rims are PLENTY wide enough for trials, with that rim petes 2.7inch maxxis highroller was almost square, it was stupid!

Adam

Haha, the valve whole looks like a pin willy!

There's still loads of room to drill even more wholes in there.

WOW! That looks SWEET!!!

And yeah I do run 24" wheels but I have them on a "proper" trials bike (currently a Levelboss 1100) cause I do Natural mostly. I do get tyre sidewall flex at 15psi on my Kenda Nevagal 24x2.5 and on my Specialized 24x2.5 with my current 38mm rear rim. So I want a wider rim! Maybe 47mm will be enough though if I can go 65mm I find myself asking "What's stopping me?" and the ONLY answer at the moment is CAUSE IT COSTS A FORTUNE!!! LOL

I get why most of you don't want a 65mm rear but I ain't most folks...cuz I'm crazy...haha

So with all those holes you managed to go from 1150 to 900g umm I think I can go under 800g for the 24" then cause I still see plenty of space to drill (smaller holes though).

Well I still have to think about whether to cough up that much money or go for the Kris Holms 47mm...

Anyone got a pic of the rim with a tyre?

Anyone got a pic of the rim with a tyre on a bike?

Anyone got a pic of the rim with a tyre on a bike doing a trials move?

PS: Thanks for the pic!

Edited by Glass

there really is little point IMO. for the huge amount of added weight when compared to a single strong rim.

also reminds me of the huge guy in bristol that was running 2 chains. oddly though he had a snowflake patterned front wheel... not the strongest of wheelbuilds.

What setup was he running?