Broadband

Trebor

At my flat my brother and I are cheapskates with no need whatsoever for a landline telephone. We have no internet connection but when I get my new computer in a couple of months I'd like to be able to use the internet on it without having to activate the phone line which I won't use for calls.

So yeah as the title says, is it possible to get Broadband set up at my place without having to activate a phone line? If so, suggested providers would be greatly appreciated :)

little story, then i can get to the point...

my brother lives with his mates, and they have a landline and broadband, recently, his friends couldnt afford to pay towards the bill, so the telephone was stopped, however, my brother was paying for tiscalli broadband, and without a landline, they obviously cant offer the service, so bt had to allow the use of the line for internet purposes otherwise tiscalli can take them to court...

so, if you feel like being cheeky, you could rent a landline for the minimum time and then cancel it :P but still retain internet access

yeh, but surley you can just request that the line be used exclusivley for internet and not telephone calls, but then the question is would you still have to pay line rental which is generally part of your phone bill....

you can (Y). (i do all this shit. i'm a BT broadband engineer bloke person)

You must pay line rental, as you are using BT cabling, and all the equipment in the exchange and elsewhere. No getting out of that. BUT if you are not using a phone, you can just have the line for the tinterweb.

If there is no line to the house, BT will provide one, as they have a responsibiltiy to provide every house with a line. Give them a bell.

bongo

That sucks more than a pro-whore on the suckiest day of the national sucking championships. Alas, it seems to be the only way...

...no chance of illegal hooking up of phone lines and giving a certain BT engineer a small pay-off? :-

Just to confirm, using the BT broadband charges as an example. On top of the £26.99 I'd have to pay for Broadband Option 3, I'd have to pay £10.75 line rental? Despite paying the £26.99 to use the line for broadband?

That sucks more than a pro-whore on the suckiest day of the national sucking championships. Alas, it seems to be the only way...

...no chance of illegal hooking up of phone lines and giving a certain BT engineer a small pay-off? :-

it's not actually possible mate, otherwise i'd be a rich man!

With telewest Blueyonder you can get the cable tv package from which the broadband plugs into, so you don't need a bt phoneline.

I have a BT phone line but the broadband comes through the cable tv box, so maybe you can just get blueyonder to fit a broadband line without the tv aswell, im not sure but try:

blueyonder

Phil.

This sounds stupid but check if your in a wireless hotspot from neighbours routers...Very rarely use wep etc..hmm free internet :rolleyes: ( I am not responsible for any actions)

Very true. My girlfriend can pick up about 8 wireless networks from her house, she lives on a terrace in student-ville. One of them from across the road is better than the wireless router from downstairs. Tried the default user/pass on a few of them and they all worked - but didn't mess around with them. Even with WEP security its not too hard to hack, sure theres videos on youtube ;) 10 min job and your sorted. Will probably delete this when I'm sober :turned:

Very true. My girlfriend can pick up about 8 wireless networks from her house, she lives on a terrace in student-ville. One of them from across the road is better than the wireless router from downstairs. Tried the default user/pass on a few of them and they all worked - but didn't mess around with them. Even with WEP security its not too hard to hack, sure theres videos on youtube ;) 10 min job and your sorted. Will probably delete this when I'm sober :turned:

That will provide me with some amusment as I can pick up like 6 in my small cul de sac thing woooo

You don't need a phone line doing it with cable.

Aye, that's why I'm on NTL too.

I'm sure there was a ruling fairly recently that meant that BT had to offer cheap lines for just internet use. But I guess like Bongo said you still have to pay something for the line. But yeah, NTL is good if you can get it on your road.

This all sounds very positive, my brothers' laptop is able to pick up two wireless networks - 'Security Enabled'. I live on the second floor of a mainroad so NTL might not be possible :(

Although I may end up moving to another part of London at the end of summer, so regular phone internet will be the best option. Assuming that you can switch your address on the contract, stopping the internet at previous address and getting it at the new place?

I've been using NTL for that very reason. I decided I'd sooner step up a knotch on my mobile phone contract, rather than have a land line.

I'm moving at the end of the month though and I happen to know one of the neighbours. So instead of just nicking his wireless (partly because he's smart enough to hide the SSID and put encryption on), I'm just going to chip in to the cost of their 8mbit connection (which isn't a lot).

So there is always the legitimate option :) I'm sure a lot of those people barely use their internet connection and would quite happily split the cost.