Plan For A New Bike

fyfey

I want to get a bike for about £500...

I was thinking get a new frame & forks... then get the rest second hand and upgrade it later.

I'm tempted to get either the Zoo! Pitbull '07 (long) or the Echo Control '07 (long), has anyone had any experience with either? And probably Tuff Guy's as they're the cheapest option (unless I can find a bargain once I have the funds).

What would be the best option on brakes? I want to get HS33's front and rear as they seem good and pretty good value. Would it be worth buying these new? Might blow the budget though >_<

Frame: £300

Forks: £40

£160 for everything else :( Is it possible?

Fyfey :turned:

I want to get a bike for about £500...

I was thinking get a new frame & forks... then get the rest second hand and upgrade it later.

I'm tempted to get either the Zoo! Pitbull '07 (long) or the Echo Control '07 (long), has anyone had any experience with either? And probably Tuff Guy's as they're the cheapest option (unless I can find a bargain once I have the funds).

What would be the best option on brakes? I want to get HS33's front and rear as they seem good and pretty good value. Would it be worth buying these new? Might blow the budget though >_<

Frame: £300

Forks: £40

£160 for everything else :( Is it possible?

Fyfey :turned:

£160 is a mighty tight budget.but....

£30 hope xc or the like back wheel on an okish rim.

£5 cheapo front wheel(car boot jobby, but itll be ok, till you start going to front).

£50 for maggies front and rear,(someone will give you some standard pads an evo mounts im sure,just try an bargain into it a set of 4 bolt mounts).

£6 cheapo headset.(found one on wiggle for £8, but ive had one from CRC for £6 before,and one from bikeshow for £5.)

£20 bars and stem.(is doable,quite easily, got zoo! bars and pazzazz stem for £25,can go cheaper)

£25 cranks+bash (second hand truatrivs, altho saw some echos go fro that on here)

£10 bb(only £14.00 for a un52 brand new)

thats your budget gone

then you got stuff like grips, chain, rear casette, and mech to worry about, however, could probably sort that lot out for £15(£5 for a sora mech second hand,get a spare cog from a bike shop, 2 inches of drainpipe off cuts will make a spacer kit £2.99 bmx chain.cheapo grips)

then you got tyres and tubes, either tioga dh 2.3s or second hand.would set you back another £15-£20.and some pedals, for about £10 and you then got a bike i think.

however, may be more beneficial for you, to buy a second hand frame/bike. could get a very decent set up for that money. otherwise if you insist on gettin a new frame, buy that frame, and spend £200 on another bike. ive seen second hand missions and the like, with maggies on,fully built, ready to ride for like £150-£175. may be an idea to buy one like this when it comes up for sale, then youve got all the stuff, around £25-50 left over for any extras, + the value of the mission or whatever frame to sell.

For that amount of money, you could just get a complete second-hand bike with all mint bits on it, in good condition.

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....91220&st=40

This guy wants £450 for one with a really good spec, looks nice too...

If I were you, I'd go and see him and have a bit of a ride on it, it'll tell whether you like the bike or not. You could then use the left over £50 to swop the stem for a stock one...

Or just buy a MOD!

Edited by KuelMuel

For that amount of money, you could just get a complete second-hand bike with all mint bits on it, in good condition.

Totally! I built my bike up from scratch knowing bugger all about trials, after i started riding i soon realised that alot of the stuff i bought wasnt right or good enough, now 9 months later i'm on my second frame, 4th forks and the only orignal bits from the first bike i have left are the stem and cranks! mind you i did turn into a bit of a tart somewhere along the way and started wanting good stuff rather than just cheap stuff! but it would have been seriously cheaper to just by a good second hand whole bike from the start!

i bought my first bike from scratch not knowing what to buy, except for what CRC advised, and now the only original thing from that bike now on my bike is the front QR skewer, everything else i either broke or upgraded and have now been left with two complete bikes, the second built completely out of spares, with a good setup anyway

Cheers for the ideas! :)

I'll have to see what's about when I've got the money together.

My first proper trials bike was a t-rex spec two, worst 700 I will ever spend..

What was wrong with it?

I may soon be asking for help building a bike!! (hopefully)

Fyfey =]

Edited by fyfey

Seriously, buy a complete, sorted bike that needs nothing. For £500 it should have a really decent spec.

Don't rush either, Buy the best bike FOR YOU, not what other people are telling you to get, if you rush into getting a bike then you could have spent £500 on completely the wrong thing.

Also have a proper ride on a MOD and a STOCK, then decide which to get.

When you spot one, ask here for advice, if everyone thinks its worth it, go and see it and haggle for it. Check it all over for cracks, dents, any signs of damage, you don't want to find its knackered when you get it home.

Good luck on finding your bike!

Yeah get a 2nd hand bike, i got a Coustellier that the frame had never been used on, with good spec for £500. There is a picture of it in my signiture.

Joe B

And can vouch that this bike is sweet, hasn't needed anything doing to it yet, Apart from Joe hasn't got a disc hub built into his echo (or try-all?) rim yet, so even though he has a front echo wheel and a hope disc, he can't use them...

I'll build your old T-REX wheel's hub into your red rim for you joe, then you can fit you disc on it.

I just really wanna stress at this point, going second hand does have risks like people actuially sending stuff but as long as you get phone number and address then your fine really because you/local police can pay them a visit to resolve the matter if it goes tits up, but by far it is still your best option, have a look on Ebay and the forsale/wanted section. I'm sure if you wanted to know something about the bike the seller would clear it up for you..

Well basically, after 3 months the only things left were front rim, half the rear brake, bald tyres, cranks, frame, bar and stem. With £700 I could have bought a totally rediculous spec bike with Kings etc..

I got my t-rex spec 2 off of the insurance, and the only change i have made is a try-all back tyre, and stainless steel hoses. The bike works a teat for me.

Steve

If you are going to buy 2nd hand then go and pick it up and give cash on collection, then you don't have part with your cash until you have seen exactly what your getting.

I'll build your old T-REX wheel's hub into your red rim for you joe, then you can fit you disc on it.

I have got a new wheel for my birthday which Tarty are building so it's ok Muel but thanks anyway. (Y)

Joe

I've probably made a huge mistake here but oh well!

I'm buying an Echo Control '07 frame (mod stock) and an Echo drilled front rim on a Zoo Hub. £280 for the lot,

None of it has ever been used.

I'm just gonna buy bits as I can afford them and slowly build it up, I've always wanted to learn to build a bike so might as well do it now!

I'm buying them off someone on here (m-a-d_90). Hasn't been active since April for some reason, but spoken on MSN and everything. Seems fine

I've probably made a huge mistake here but oh well!

I'm buying an Echo Control '07 frame (mod stock) and an Echo drilled front rim on a Zoo Hub. £280 for the lot,

None of it has ever been used.

I'm just gonna buy bits as I can afford them and slowly build it up, I've always wanted to learn to build a bike so might as well do it now!

I'm buying them off someone on here (m-a-d_90). Hasn't been active since April for some reason, but spoken on MSN and everything. Seems fine

Sounds like a plan, and a bloody good deal at that! Seriously never ever used? :D

Buy as many of the bits off here or from mates as possible, But be certain that they are in good/mint condtion.

Don't just rush, choose your parts carefully, I would get the new echo brake, but wait for what the guys at tarty say about it first.

Don't just rush, choose your parts carefully, I would get the new echo brake, but wait for what the guys at tarty say about it first.

I'm probably just gonna go for Maggy's as the new Echo brakes cost over twice as much!!

Seems like a good deal, got a front wheel off him too. I'll keep you posted

noooooooooooooooo dont doo it man!! im 99% sure hes scamming you! i should know because m-a-d_90 was an old account of mine!!

woooo my bad, i forgot i gave biff the account, hes a nice enough chap, safe as houses (when hes not threatening to kill me :P)

Ben

Edited by Ben Cox

I've spoken to him on MSN (email pitbullpowers@hotmail.co.uk).

Did a search for that email address and it matched up to the member m-a-d_90. So dunno what's going on there.

I'll have to speak to him when he's next online and ask what his user account is on here. A bit late if he is scamming me as I've already parted with £50 as a deposit. >_<

It's all good, got his Name, Address, Phone number. All checks out! Also got his Refs

Edited by fyfey